We were attacked by a dog last night

Shakou

So we had some drama last night while out on a walk. A Jack Russell jumped out the open window of a car at a red light as we were walking by, and attacked us. It was just me walking Ma'ii and Charlotte. My husband was at work, and while I normally like to have him with me to walk one of the dogs, they had been cooped up for the past few days due to a snow storm, and I wanted to get them out of the house for a bit.

So we're crossing the road, and getting up onto the side walk, when I hear this dog barking. I look up, and there's this dog in the front seat of a jeep with the window part way out, snarling and snapping out the window. The owner proceeds to roll the window up, when the dog jumps out and comes bolting across the road and attacks Ma'ii. He nailed Ma'ii good right between shoulder and neck, and proceeded to try and shake him. At this point all hell broke loose. Charlotte, who I had on a separate leash, charged in, latched onto the dog's back, and shook him. He then let go of Ma'ii, leaving a nice gaping hole, and turned on Charlotte. And of course Ma'ii, who's now in fight mode, came barreling back into the fight. So now I have both my dogs on this Jack Russell, who was holding his own amazingly well, but was just out numbered/over powered. I'm trying to gain control of my two, but every time they start to let up and listen to me, the other dog get's more violent, which of course causes them to react.

The owner parked her car and came running over, managed to grab her dog by his collar. At this point, Ma'ii and Charlotte are more or less playing tug of war with the dog... Charlotte had a hold of his back, Ma'ii had his leg, and the jack had Ma'ii's face. A passerby came over to help, managed to get Ma'ii out of the fight and tied him to a near by tree. I pryed Charlotte's teeth open with my hands, and she let go of the dog. The same passerby held Charlotte's leash as we checked the jack russell over.

All three dogs were torn up, but the jack got the worst of it, being out numbered. He had a large rip in his back where Charlotte had him, and will no doubt need stitches. Charlotte has some cuts as well, but nothing that needs vet attention. Ma'ii has the hole in his shoulder, that's nasty looking, but I don't believe will need to be treated by a vet. He also has some minor bite wounds to his face and head.

The owner was really nice about everything. She acknowledged, that while it was an accident, it was her fault, and apologized profusely. Although I have no intentions of taking my guys to a vet, she gave me her contact info anyways. She got back in her car with her dog and went off to the vets, and we went home. So much for our peaceful walk.

This morning both Ma'ii and Charlotte are sore, but otherwise doing fine. I'm a little worried how the fight might have effected Ma'ii's back since he's got a calcified disc, but I'll wait a few days before I jump to any conclusions.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
That's awful!

I would take a vet trip though, I'd be more worried about infection than anything else.

Xandra

Glad there's no major damage, but like Dizzy said, be wary of infection... clean/flush/wash everything very very well... tears usually heal OK IME, but puncture wounds are the absolute devil for getting infected.

Shakou

My husband is very adamant about taking them into the vet. It's not out of the question, but their injuries aren't that bad, and I think I can treat them myself. I'll give it a day or two and see how things are healing, and if things just don't seem right, I'll take them in to see the vet.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
yesh, that is so scary. And like my worst nightmare. Glad the owner knew it was her fault and was apologetic and gave you her contact info. Hopefully your dogs do not have any lasting effect, physical or mental.

Flyinsbt

Sorry about what happened, it sounds very traumatic. But yeah, I'd want them on antibiotics. If it's not too serious, it won't be an expensive visit, they'll just clean the wounds well and provide you with some appropriate antibiotics.

DJEtzel

I will chime in here as well and say I understand not taking them to the vet. The vet may not see anything wrong this early or think they are necessary (mine told me they weren't when Frag sliced his leg open) and you can tell when something is the matter with a dog, from looking at the wound or the way the dogs act. Putting them on antibiotics when they don't need them, imo, is the same as over vaccinating.

adojrts

I am so sorry and esp sorry that it was a jrt :( That was no accident, sounds like the dog has a history and the owner should have a) had the dog in a crate, b) in a seatbelt or c) not stupid enough to have the ******** window down.

Glad your dogs are not seriously hurt, hope it doesn't cause a reactivity in them and I really hope the owner the jrt smartens up and gets the dog help, both from a vet and from a good traner/behaviouist.

Shakou

I am so sorry and esp sorry that it was a jrt :( That was no accident, sounds like the dog has a history and the owner should have a) had the dog in a crate, b) in a seatbelt or c) not stupid enough to have the ******** window down.

Glad your dogs are not seriously hurt, hope it doesn't cause a reactivity in them and I really hope the owner the jrt smartens up and gets the dog help, both from a vet and from a good traner/behaviouist.
I'll agree she should have been way more careful, and hopefully, if not for the consideration of others, but for the well being of her dog, absolutely more careful in the future. But she seemed genuinely shocked and surprised. When she was apologizing afterwards, she said he had never tried that before or shown that level of aggression.

Charlotte has fear aggression towards strange dogs as the result of being mauled in a dog park a few years ago, and was why she was so quick to react as violently as she did. But her aggression has always been aimed towards large dogs, NOT small dogs. I hope this isn't a set back for her.

TahlzK

God, how scary would that have been. I'm glad the owner was genially sorry and cared about the situation and I'm sure she learnt from that. I hate owners at times who leave their windows down with no restraint. Driving home yesterday I saw a GSD in the back of a ute who wasn't restrained properly and had half his body over the tray, trying to go after another dog some one was walking.

Do you at least have some pain medication for the dogs? I'm sure having a hole from a bite wound has to be painful.

This is always one of my fears on a trike ride or walk. In my case, it's a lot of owners who don't think they should have to follow leash laws. I've been on my trike and quite a few dogs come charging full speed quite aggressively. I simply stop the trike...take away the thing to chase and most the time it throws them and they back off. Couple have come up all the way but luckily just sniffs and no fighting.

I agree with the others, doesn't hurt to have it checked out and better to be safe than sorry later. :) Hope it works out and no trauma for your dogs in the future.

Shakou

....So, apparently the women of the offending dog wasn't as honest and kind as I thought. My husband tried calling her a few minutes ago to talk to her, and apparently the number she gave us was fake. And of course, I was too overwhelmed in the moment last night to think straight and get her licence plate number.

Awesome.

Snark

Mutts to you
....So, apparently the women of the offending dog wasn't as honest and kind as I thought. My husband tried calling her a few minutes ago to talk to her, and apparently the number she gave us was fake. And of course, I was too overwhelmed in the moment last night to think straight and get her licence plate number.

Awesome.
Well, if you were at an intersection, I wonder if there's a street camera that could have caught the attack and her plate number... Since she was less than honest, I'd seriously think about contacting the police and filing a complaint or a report, and possibly see if there was any footage. Might be helpful, too, if she turns around and accuses your dogs of starting this - giving you a fake phone number won't look good for her.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Well, if you were at an intersection, I wonder if there's a street camera that could have caught the attack and her plate number... Since she was less than honest, I'd seriously think about contacting the police and filing a complaint or a report, and possibly see if was any footage. Might be helpful, too, if she turns around and accuses your dogs of starting this - giving you a fake phone number won't look good for her.
This. Also, if you filed a police report, they could also possibly check with the local vets to see if there was a JRT brought in with the injuries you described. She may not have brought him to the vet, but there's always that chance

I'm sorry this happened as well. I agree that she **** well knew what her dog was like and she gave you false info so you would let her leave. I would be contacting the police as well, that dogs attack needs to be on record.

And here is yet another good example of why it is SO important to keep your dogs SECURED while riding in a vehicle! I'm sure this women has learned a good lesson, whether or not she'll do anything to prevent another incident is another story.

On the vet, I would take them in. Mostly you want to keep the wounds cleaned out to prevent infection, and a good oral antibiotic will help.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I hope they are doing okay this morning. I agree with taking them to the vet to be checked out just in case, but that's just my opinion.

JacksonsMom

OMG that is so scary! I can't imagine. It's one of my biggest fears is having some kind of a dog get loose somehow and go after Jackson, and with just me, I worry it'd be difficult to break it up. I need to start carrying something with me, I think, your story just gave me a good reminder.

I'm so glad your dogs are okay, and thankful that it was a smaller dog (for the sake of your guys) but sorry they had to go through it. Hopefully it won't leave any major scars emotionally.

Members online

No members online now.