Which breed is best for my family?

bubbatd

Thanks Julie !!! I can appreciate a small dog, but I'd never own one. BTW...when are you going to stop peeing ??? LOL!!!

W

Whitedobelover

roxy are you alittle bias. i think she should buy a doberman lol... but i really think a bassett hound would be good.. intelligent short coat low shedding... protector and good with families and good indoors

B

BlackDog

StepupTimneh said:
Maybe it is, but that wouldn't be the reason we would get one if we did. It seems like the perfect dog for us, but the problem is finding a reputable breeder (I don't want to judge that until I meet them). I don't think an airdale would work, my dad sort of wants either a PWD or a schnoodle.
If you really must see what a schnoodle breeder is like go visit one, but don't buy anything. Just go and ask the breeder questions. These are some signs of a good breeder.

1. Has the dam and litter mates on cite to view.
2. Has the sire on cite to view (Not always possible but good if they do)
3. Can give you dates and records of shots administered.
4. Makes you sign a contract to spay or neuter the puppy (or already had them all fixed before hand)
5. Provideds you with several years to a life time garrentee against genetic defects
6. Will take the puppy back at any time in its life if you no longer want him/her.
7. Wants you to stay in contact with them for updated on the puppy throughout his/her entire life.
8. Has started proper socialization (if puppies are old enough and have all shots)
9. Tests for genetic defects common to the breeds they are breeding to ensure proper health and structure.
10. Can show you the records of the tests abministered and can explain why each test is needed.
11. Will show you living conditions of where the litter is keeping kept and it is clean.
12. Puppies look healthy and happy.
13. Puppies that are going home are atleast 6 weeks old. No younger.
14. Can explain the the costs associated with the price.
Ex:
$100 shots/vaccinations
$50 feeding
$50 supplies needed to raise a litter (whelping box, latex gloves, scrissors, surgical tape, instant puppies formula, collars, leashes, heating pad, towels, weighing scale, heat lamp etc...)
$200 any extra medical care (like if the dam had to have a c-section, or a puppy got sick)
If you find gaps in the price like where did that extra $200 come from? Then your breeder is tagging on more money for profit. Red Flag!!! Don't buy the dog. Good breeders will be lucky to break even. They don't make money off of it.
15. Will be more than happy to answer you questions.

Anything less than these listed means you are dealing with a irrsponsible breeder.

Here are possible general medical problems dogs can have.

Abnormal hernia, Addominothracic fissure, Acromegaly, Anconeal dysplasia, Anoxia, Canine herpes, Cardiac defects, Central progressive retinal atrophy (CPRA), Chondrodysplasia, Chondrodystrophy, Cleft-Lip clefts, Clefts-palate clefts, Coat defects, Colic, Colitis, Coprophagy, Deafness, Diabetes, Epilepsy, Gastric Dilatation, Gastric torsion complex, Gastrointestinal defects, Hemeralopia, Hemolytic, Hemophilia, Hermaphroditism, Hip Dysplasia, Hock joint instability, Hydrocephalus, Hyperthyroidism, Hypertrophic osteodystrophy, Hypoglycemia, Hypothyroidism, Intussusception, Megaesophagus, Nervous system disorders, Nutritional anemia, Opthalmis neonatorum, Osteochondritis, Osteochondrits dessecans, Patellar Luxation, Patent ductus arterious, Persistant right aortic arch, Progressive retinal atrophy (ARP), Prolapsed rectrum, Pyloric stenosis, Rickets, Seborrhea, Skull defects, Spina bifida, Stockard's syndrome, Swimmers, Toxic milk syndrome, Umbilical hernia, Von Willebrand's Diease, Water Puppies or Walrus puppies, and Wobbler syndrome.

Some of these your breeder can and should be testing for before they breed. But it depends on the breed of dog you are looking at. Each breed has problems associated with it, some more than others. Get firmilar with what problems your breed has so when the breeder says "I tested for blah blah blah, and blah" you know what they are talking about. Some breeders will just randomly name tests to make you think they are really testing their dogs. But they aren't. Others will make up tests names. That's why its important to see the records of these tests the breeder claims to have done.

If you ask all these questions to a schnoodle breeder you will quickly find that there is no such thing as a responsible schnoodle breeder. Schoodles are a disigner mix. They were crested to make money off of unsuspecting people with little to no knowledge of dogs. Four of the things I left off of my list until now is

16. Breeds to the standard of the given breed.
17. Shows both parents of puppies in dog shows
18. Can provide documentation of both parents having attained a champion
ranting in the dog shows.
19. All dogs in the puppies history have attained champion ranting before breeding bred. (You will be able to see this by looking at the dogs pedigree. A champion dog will have a Ch. or champion on the front of its name.)

The reason why it is so important to breed purebred dogs and have them attain championship before being bred is because without it you aren't improving the breed standard. The whole point of having a breed standard is to ensure stability. That means when you buy a dog you know what you are getting temperament, heath, and stuctural wise. I'm not saying all mutts are bad. I'm just saying that there is no garrentee with them. If you are looking for certain characteristics like a certain weight, height, health, temperament, etc... which you stated you are. There is no garrentee you'll be getting a 30-35 pound dog, that's non-shedding, and healthy blah blah blah. Purebreds have had 100's of years of breeding the same thing over and over so you are far more likely to get what you want. But that's only assuming you go to a resonsible breeder. There are far more cash driven, non-educated purebred dog breeders out there ruining the name of the purebred dog because they didn't test their dog for health, temperament, or in the show ring. The show ring judges if the dog meets the standard structually and in temperament. Its the breeders responsibility to do the health testing, not all do. So as a potiential dog owner its your job to cover you butt. Ask to see health records, show records, obedience titles whatever. Just make sure you aren't throwing your money out the window and supporting the irresponsible breeders.

BlackDog said:
If you really must see what a schnoodle breeder is like go visit one, but don't buy anything. Just go and ask the breeder questions. These are some signs of a good breeder.

1. Has the dam and litter mates on cite to view.
2. Has the sire on cite to view (Not always possible but good if they do)
3. Can give you dates and records of shots administered.
4. Makes you sign a contract to spay or neuter the puppy (or already had them all fixed before hand)
5. Provideds you with several years to a life time garrentee against genetic defects
6. Will take the puppy back at any time in its life if you no longer want him/her.
7. Wants you to stay in contact with them for updated on the puppy throughout his/her entire life.
8. Has started proper socialization (if puppies are old enough and have all shots)
9. Tests for genetic defects common to the breeds they are breeding to ensure proper health and structure.
10. Can show you the records of the tests abministered and can explain why each test is needed.
11. Will show you living conditions of where the litter is keeping kept and it is clean.
12. Puppies look healthy and happy.
13. Puppies that are going home are atleast 6 weeks old. No younger.
14. Can explain the the costs associated with the price.
Ex:
$100 shots/vaccinations
$50 feeding
$50 supplies needed to raise a litter (whelping box, latex gloves, scrissors, surgical tape, instant puppies formula, collars, leashes, heating pad, towels, weighing scale, heat lamp etc...)
$200 any extra medical care (like if the dam had to have a c-section, or a puppy got sick)
If you find gaps in the price like where did that extra $200 come from? Then your breeder is tagging on more money for profit. Red Flag!!! Don't buy the dog. Good breeders will be lucky to break even. They don't make money off of it.
15. Will be more than happy to answer you questions.

Anything less than these listed means you are dealing with a irrsponsible breeder.

Here are possible general medical problems dogs can have.

Abnormal hernia, Addominothracic fissure, Acromegaly, Anconeal dysplasia, Anoxia, Canine herpes, Cardiac defects, Central progressive retinal atrophy (CPRA), Chondrodysplasia, Chondrodystrophy, Cleft-Lip clefts, Clefts-palate clefts, Coat defects, Colic, Colitis, Coprophagy, Deafness, Diabetes, Epilepsy, Gastric Dilatation, Gastric torsion complex, Gastrointestinal defects, Hemeralopia, Hemolytic, Hemophilia, Hermaphroditism, Hip Dysplasia, Hock joint instability, Hydrocephalus, Hyperthyroidism, Hypertrophic osteodystrophy, Hypoglycemia, Hypothyroidism, Intussusception, Megaesophagus, Nervous system disorders, Nutritional anemia, Opthalmis neonatorum, Osteochondritis, Osteochondrits dessecans, Patellar Luxation, Patent ductus arterious, Persistant right aortic arch, Progressive retinal atrophy (ARP), Prolapsed rectrum, Pyloric stenosis, Rickets, Seborrhea, Skull defects, Spina bifida, Stockard's syndrome, Swimmers, Toxic milk syndrome, Umbilical hernia, Von Willebrand's Diease, Water Puppies or Walrus puppies, and Wobbler syndrome.

Some of these your breeder can and should be testing for before they breed. But it depends on the breed of dog you are looking at. Each breed has problems associated with it, some more than others. Get firmilar with what problems your breed has so when the breeder says "I tested for blah blah blah, and blah" you know what they are talking about. Some breeders will just randomly name tests to make you think they are really testing their dogs. But they aren't. Others will make up tests names. That's why its important to see the records of these tests the breeder claims to have done.

If you ask all these questions to a schnoodle breeder you will quickly find that there is no such thing as a responsible schnoodle breeder. Schoodles are a disigner mix. They were crested to make money off of unsuspecting people with little to no knowledge of dogs. Four of the things I left off of my list until now is

16. Breeds to the standard of the given breed.
17. Shows both parents of puppies in dog shows
18. Can provide documentation of both parents having attained a champion
ranting in the dog shows.
19. All dogs in the puppies history have attained champion ranting before breeding bred. (You will be able to see this by looking at the dogs pedigree. A champion dog will have a Ch. or champion on the front of its name.)

The reason why it is so important to breed purebred dogs and have them attain championship before being bred is because without it you aren't improving the breed standard. The whole point of having a breed standard is to ensure stability. That means when you buy a dog you know what you are getting temperament, heath, and stuctural wise. I'm not saying all mutts are bad. I'm just saying that there is no garrentee with them. If you are looking for certain characteristics like a certain weight, height, health, temperament, etc... which you stated you are. There is no garrentee you'll be getting a 30-35 pound dog, that's non-shedding, and healthy blah blah blah. Purebreds have had 100's of years of breeding the same thing over and over so you are far more likely to get what you want. But that's only assuming you go to a resonsible breeder. There are far more cash driven, non-educated purebred dog breeders out there ruining the name of the purebred dog because they didn't test their dog for health, temperament, or in the show ring. The show ring judges if the dog meets the standard structually and in temperament. Its the breeders responsibility to do the health testing, not all do. So as a potiential dog owner its your job to cover you butt. Ask to see health records, show records, obedience titles whatever. Just make sure you aren't throwing your money out the window and supporting the irresponsible breeders.
Ok I agree with everything said except having the sire on site.If they are breeding to improve the breed like they should it is better to use a Stud that doesnt belong to them.In my opinion if the Breeder is using the Stud that is theres they are just using the most convienent and not the best they can find.With my Breed GSDs most breeders will send the bitch away to be bred to the best Stud dogs possible.Or Buying Semen for A.I.Just my opinion though.

Dreeza

ok, only read the first 2 and last 2 pages of this thread...

but i think you should definately go to petfinder.com and look around!! many times there are dogs on there that are well trained, because their owners died, or had to give them up for other reasons...

or adopt a greyhound!!

try to find places that know a lot about the dog's personality, so you dont get an out of control mutt like mine (although he is an ANGEL after his special training), lol

anyways, good luck!

showpug

German Sheperd Gurl said:
Ok I agree with everything said except having the sire on site.If they are breeding to improve the breed like they should it is better to use a Stud that doesnt belong to them.In my opinion if the Breeder is using the Stud that is theres they are just using the most convienent and not the best they can find.With my Breed GSDs most breeders will send the bitch away to be bred to the best Stud dogs possible.Or Buying Semen for A.I.Just my opinion though.
You are right! Each bitch has different characteristics that are complimented by different stud dogs. The best breeders don't generally have an on-site stud dog...they look for the best in the nation or even in a different country!

Muttlies3

I haven't read all of the replies and suggestions but my number one suggestion to the families who don't know exactly what breed they want are to go to their local shelter. Go once or twice a week... they get new dogs in all of the time. Play with the dogs, talk with the dogs, pet the dog, etc. If there's one that catches your eye or you get a feeling about, ask to take it out in a play area or for a walk. With patience, you will eventually find a dog perfect for your family.

This is exactly what we did all 3 times when looking for a dog. It took me months to finally be able to get my first dog, Simba - At the time I was ready to pick up any dog and bring it home as mine. After months of looking, we finally found Simba and he couldn't be anymore perfect for our life.

Members online

No members online now.