What breed??

ever since i had roxy taken out of my life, ive found myself hating myself more everyday. i would never want to replace her but i really need a companion. this will never mean anything to me like replacing her, she will always be with me, mentally. but i have been researching and trying to find the perfect dog for our household. i want a dog that i can cuddle up with. i dont want it to have really short hair because i want her to be really comfortable to cuddle up with. my mom wants one that doesnt shed, is really easy to train, and has kinda short hair. we will be keeping her in the house due to not having a fenced yard. im not sure about housetraining but i might get to training her to use the bathroom outside. this time we will be getting 2 of them, two girls; because it was absolutely the worst feeling and site seeing and thinking about roxy just inside of the house, bored for 8 whole hours, just pacing back and forth eagerly waiting for us to come home and play with her, looking up every few minutes wondering how much longer it will be until we returned. looking as if she was abandoned. i must have started crying while sleeping and thinking about her in class. but i want a dog that wont really bark and will be defensive over me. is small to medium size. doesnt shed, or not that much. easy to train. etc etc. and i was thinking about a min pin, a basenji, a chihuahua, and a havanese. i was really thinking about the havanese, what do you think? then maybe the min pin. if there are any other breeds, please post those too.

If you want a dog that is easy to trian, I would NOT recomend the Basenji for that reason and you said you don't have a fenced in yart. Basenjis are a VERY premitive breed and I don't think they fit your criteria to well. When it comes to training, Basenjis care nothing about pleasing you (at least most are that way. Very independant) and can be very hard to train. (I don't know about Chis a whole bunch. And I don't think Min Pins are the best breed when it comes to training either because they have a stubborn streak and they can bark a lot, but correct me if I'm wrong.)
When I was reading you post a Poodle came to mind. They are easy to train, don't shed, are 'fluffy', and come in tiny, small or medium. I think that would be a good breed for you.
The Havanese sounds good to but I've heard that they are very hard to house break.

My chihuahua girl is exactly how you described. Exept for the long hair. But's chi's come in long hair also.
I would not recommend a Min Pin if you are unexpeirenced with them.
Here are more breeds you could consider.
-Labradoodle
-Schnoodle
-Affenpinsher
-Bichon Frise
-Austrailian Terrier
-Chi-Poo
-Dandie Dinmont Terrier
-Italian Greyhound
-Maltese**So Cute!!
-Malti-Poo**Extra Cute
-Toy Poodle
-YorkiePoo
-Yorkshire Terrier

:)

thanks. i talked to my mom, narrow minded, and she said there is no way ever she will ever buy a poodle. she says they are purely ugly. oh well i was reading about basenjis and they seem awesome. you you talking from experience? it said something about it being ok if you dont have a yard, as long as it goes out for walks. and the min pin i was thinking about them because it can be a small dog like my mom preferred but i want a defensive dog where it will bark at whoever taunts me or touches me (i dont get along with many people around here, many of you know) and the chihuahua, i talked my mom into thinking about a long haired chihuahuas they look adorable and small. but the basenji. i was thinking about a maltese or a shih tzu but i really dont like how they have that long hair like that, i love how roxy's hair was but i doubt i will find another one like her. shes a special one. my mom has a small allergy problem and it says that basenjis are self cleaning (like cats) and dont have the usual dog odor and that it would be good for people with a slight allergy problem. but im still not sure after what rose's gal said.

after i think about it, i might scratch out the basenji idea. im looking for a dog that goes by those decriptions i said and also i want a "cute and adorable" dog. i want one that is cute and you cant resist from picking her up and cuddling with her. basenjis might not be the kind of dog im looking for. neither will a min pin. a long haired chi maybe?

Chihuahua's arwe wondeful dogs. My chihuahua is the sweetest BUT if someone messes with me that she dont know she WILL bite. Most Chihuahua's are like this. I cuddle with Tink all the time. She sleeps right by me and she's small enough she dont take up alot of space. Basenji's also cant bark. They Yodel..if I'm not mistaken. I really think you should consider a long/short coat chihuahua. Mine is short coated.
Also, Pomerainians,Rat Terriers,and Dachsunds are sweetie's too.
But see, I prefer the Pitties and Staffies. I love them!!lol

yeah im really thinking about chis now. i really want a pom but my mom doesnt like long haired dogs becuase they get dirty to easily and sometimes when they use the bathroom the feces get stuck on their hair on their bottoms and its a big mess trying to wash it off everytime. and yeah thats true basenjis dont bark, they yedol alot. i dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing but oh well. i heard chis are stubborn though. like its really hard to train them, let alone housetraining. is this true?

That's a good call on deciding against the Basenji. They are hunters and need to run. Just walking and running with a human on a leash isn't nearly enough exercise for one.

Have you considered going to a shelter or rescue and looking? Especially consider dogs that are older puppies or adults. I remember how much trouble you had with training because you had no help at all with Roxy while you were at school; with an older pup or dog you can usually bypass the housetraining crazies, and even if you do have to do some housetraining it doesn't take as long since their bodies are more developed and they don't have the problem of not being able to hold it long enough.

Well They are on the dog breed info and I just put on there what it said after I put all his reduirements ibn the breed selector.

yeah i saw those dogs on there too. my aunt she breeds mixed breeds. she isnt really a big breeder but she breeds them for herself and for relatives. right now she is trying to breed roxy with a havanese. theyre doign great together. they are the smartest pair ever. my uncle locked up roxy in her crate becuase he was trying to get her to use the bathroom outside and then the havanese strotted in (he has the cutest penguin stroll ever!) and they both worked together and opened the lock. they sleep together and never leave each other. ok so does anyione have any other info or suggestions?? and chis the "cuddly" kinda dogs? i might try to get my mom to let me go check out teh animal shelter sometime.

I don't really have any experience with Chis but I do know that they like to be cuddled!!! Good websites to check out to learn more about the temperment of the Chi are
www.yourpurebredpuppy.com
www.dogfancy.com
www.akc.org

Anyways, good luck to you!

(And I'm :) that you decided not to get the Basenji. I've done research on them and I didn't think they fit your criteria to well. Ya, Southern Girl09, I was wondering about that breed list too! lol But at least you didn't make that up yourself with all of the Labradoodles and stuff. I would have been concerned. lol :p)

oh i never knew that. thanks for the info. but youre saying all of those dogs that are mixed breeds all came from bad breeders? you shouldnt mix breed? wow i never knew that. i always thought it was just like normal breeding.
basically i want a house dog. a dog that can live in the house and doesnt need to be outdoors. the cuddling part and the easy to train part is just an add on. i just think itll be great to have one of them becuase after having roxy, training is ALOT harder than i thought. ill do more research on the chi to see if its right for me. i heard from many people that its really stubborn and is hard to train but i guess not all chis are the same. in the meantime, keep the suggestions coming. theyre all great and very helpful

avenlee

You might want to look into a Cocker Spaniel. My Sadie is a sweetheart and only wants to please us. She will jump up and sit on your lap every chance she gets, even when you don't want her too.

I've heard different things about Cocker's being snippy. But I could never imagine Sadie being that way. She's a complete doll ! I call her flopsy mopsy lol

but the thing is that they have too much hair. my mom has a slight allergy problem, like i said, and she will never buy one.

A

an5gel99

I would reccomend a Yorkshire terrier or a Mini Poodle or even a standard poodle. those breeds dont shed and can have long hair or even short hair. good luck!!!!! :cool:

Serena- Sorry about that. I didnt make it up my self they were on that site.

Carzy- Yes.. Chihuahua's are the ones that love to be cuddled and are very funny and love to be the center of attention. There are probally alot of Small chi mixes in shelters and rescue's near you.

Rose- Yea I was just putting down all what it said..Just so Crazy could look into it

Oh, I think a remember reading something in a DogFancy magazine about dogs that are good for allergy sufferers. Let me go get it.......here is the list of dogs they gave that are better for Canine Allergens:
Most of the following breeds shed less because they have only a single layer of hair: Basenji, Bedlington Terrier, Bichon Frise, Chinese Crested, Irish Water Spaniel, Italian Greyhound, Kerry Blue Terrier, Malates, Poodle, Portuguese Water Dog, Schnauzer, Sof Coated Wheaten Terrier, and Xlolitzcuintli (Mexican Hairless Dog).

Those IMO are only some of the breeds that allergens can have. Anyways, I hope the Chi works out for you! :)

avenlee

My grandmother had two Schnauzers (Touser, and Cindy). They are adorable! Terrier's are great too. However, my Westie is very loving and will allow you to snuggle with her, but she very rarely will come up and snuggle with you. Not being snobby, but she's independant and she JUST turned one in Sept. They're alot of dog in a small body, LOL. But, that is just my dog's personality.

pitbulliest

southern_girl09 said:
Carzy- Yes.. Chihuahua's are the ones that love to be cuddled and are very funny and love to be the center of attention. There are probally alot of Small chi mixes in shelters and rescue's near you.
My Chi hates to be cuddled..but then again, he's just abnormal altogether..............................anyways.. :D

Members online

No members online now.