Canidae problems... switching foods... AGAIN

Brattina88

Ugh... so frustrated... :mad:

So, as we probably all know Canidae has changed their formula. Since I don't know for certain that my girls are gluten intolerant, I decided to stick with it and see how it went. They've been on the "new" Canidae for almost 3wks now... and I am not happy!

We've had orange poops ever since the change. Looser, too. And this is not just Missy and Maddie... its my friend's dog, and my parents dogs too. Not two or three or four, but SIX dogs! Six, with orange/loose stools. AND Maddie's getting all dandruff-y. Mia's (friends cocker) eye goopies are back. All the dogs are itchy in general. Now, I can't say for certain that this is caused by the food alone - but I am not sticking with it. I give up on Canidae!

I'm thinking about going with TOTW. My only concern is that TOTW does not guarantee that their suppliers uses Ethoxyquin free ingredients. Is Ethoxyquin something to seriously worry about??
Wellness? Solid Gold? Chicken Soup...

OMG... I give up!! :eek:

noodlerubyallie

Sprayin' the spiders
Funny thing, now that you mention it...

I had started the girls on Canidae again about a month ago and noticed the sticker with new ingredients. I didn't read too much into it, then I noticed the food threads going around. So....I started really paying attention to poo again, and low and behold, yes, it was also orangey/semi loose.

Allie has a sensitive stomach (to what, I'm not sure, but I think it's from her hard early puppy months) so she can only have lamb & rice flavor. Ruby has had semi loose since December, with 3 different kinds of food never seeming to help, and Noodle's stomach is like a rock. With a friendly heads up from Sizzle and Hillside, we are currently on Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice, with just a little bit left of Canidae mixed in, with a HUGE improvement in the poo department. They like the taste of it better too. Plus, here it's only $23.99 for a 40lb bag, so you don't have to pay the $41.99 for the Canidae anymore.

It's fabulous!

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Wellness is WAY overpriced for the quality you're getting. Solid Gold is grainy, and has palatability issues. I don't have any experience with Chicken Soup, so I'm not commenting on that one.

What about Innova?

Maxy24

I switched the cats as soon as I could, they completely rejected the new formula, they thought it tasted quite bad. Now they are on Before Grain which they love and it's (obviously) grain free and has good ingredients from what I can tell.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I was also going to suggest California Natural, but I don't know what all you have tried in the past...

Brattina88

I'm in the process of trying to find a local place that sells natura products... They dogs were on EVO a couple years ago, but the pet store started to sell (what I believe to be) puppy mill puppies, and I refuse to support that.
I've found a couple within a half hour away... I just have to find time in my schedule - for example they're only open until 5 and I work to six. and on top of that, I'm not sure which natura products they sell, so I have to go check it out *sigh* unless maybe if I call...

I wish they'd sell natura stuff at Pet Supplies Plus ! :p

shazbot

not so newby
I was feeding Canidae also, and started noticing that the dogs were having loose stools also.

I switched to Eagle Pack Holistic, then to Nutrisource because of price.

They have been on Nutrisource for 2 months now, and I couldn't be happier. No more loose poop or upset tummies. They love the taste also. My most finicky eater dives in.

Here's the website if you'd like to check it out.

http://www.nutrisourcedogfood.com/

Brattina88

I'm disapointed that Canidae is doing this to so many dogs... :( sad, really

Thanks for the advice from everybody... its so hard to pick and stick with a dry dog food. When I move out, the girls will most likely be on raw ...

> Shaz, Nutrisource has menadione which may have negative side effects , so I won't personally feed it

Saje

Island dweller
Call that pet store that you are talking about and ask if they carry natura pet food. If they do they should be able to bring in any of the lines. Maybe you can go on a Saturday? Or maybe someone can pick it up for you?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Your Pet Supplies Plus doesn't have Natura products?? I don't normally get Auggie's Cali Natural from them but I bought my last bag there (I was there for work and needed it, so I picked it up.) They have EVO and everything else at mine too. Since some of their stores carry them, I wonder if they might be able to get it in at yours... It's worth a try! I'd call and see if they can get it for you, special order or something. It might depend on the warehouse they get products from though, I guess. =/

What does your PSP carry? If they have Eagle Pack and you haven't tried that, maybe you can look into it?

Barb04

Super Moderator
I'm finishing up my last bag of the old recipe Canidae. I've started everyone on Kirkland dog food from Costco and they are doing well.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I bet Canidae is going to lose a lot of customers from this change. They won't even get a nod from me anymore.. it's straight to other kibble companies that are still higher quality. I hope everyone is able to find a food that their dogs can adjust to and that it all goes well!

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I'm very disappointed in Canidae for their decision to lower ingredients. I loved it when I fed it, but I won't be recommending it anymore.

I love Natura products, but I feel they're beginning to become overpriced. Wellness is definitely overpriced, and IMO the only thing it's good for is dropping weight on a fat dog!

I never thought I'd be feeding kirkland, but my dogs are doing great on it - improved *everything*. They've always done the best on foods with grain, so it looks like that's what they're sticking with until something better comes along.

Brattina88

I'm going to check out a couple stores today, to find food and maybe find a new favorite store :p LoL

I think I'm also going to contact Canidae and let them know how displeased I am with the changes. It probably won't change anything, but they need to know why they're loosing customers! :mad: I believe I've given the food long enough for them to "get used to it" and we'll be switching now :mad:

Barb04

Super Moderator
The pet store I was going to for Canidae was letting everyone know the change and how disappointed they were in what the company was doing.

I wasn't about to try the new formula so that's why Kirkland is now in my house, and they all love it.

ACooper

We mix Canidae with EVO RM and home cooked. But after this last batch is cleared from the dispenser I won't be adding Canidae into the mix. I am going to dig in and search for something new.

I KNEW this would happen, I believe I posted it way back when Canidae was supposed to be going more main stream and prepping for their ad campaign. WHY do they have to wreck a perfectly good product to be able to cater to more people? Wouldn't catering to more mean more profit? I don't understand!!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
We fed Canidae a while but switched well before this change (about a year ago really). We switched to all Natura products and I couldn't be happier. The dogs eat them so much better and they look better, poops are better. We have 2 on California Natural, 1 on Innova Senior, and 3 on EVO RM.... (yeah, it's fun having so many different dogs)

I'd definitely try to see if you can get your store to carry Natura.

Brattina88

I got the "we'll see" on selling natura products...
I drove out to Bevan's only to find that they weren't open, but that was fine, because there were signs in the front saying Puppies and Kittens for Sale! as well as EVO RM and California Natural :(

I got two 5lb bags of Natures Variety yesterday - so, I'll see how they seem to do on it. . . .

Members online

No members online now.