Safe haven for soldiers' pets being shut down

http://www.komotv.com/news/17414509.html

LAKEWOOD, Wash. -- A local woman who rescued dozens of animals that were left behind by deployed soldiers is being told to give them up.
Diana VanDusen began taking in stray and unwanted pets after the animal shelter at Fort Lewis shut down. Most of the animals are old or disabled, and most come from military families from Fort Lewis who have had to move overseas.

Some of the soldiers reclaim their pets when they return home, but others do not have such a luxury.

"The rest (of the soldiers) - they had to abandon (their pets), because they didn't know when they were coming back," said VanDusen. "One cat I held for two years, and no one came back for it. So I knew it was time to adopt it out."

VanDusen keeps some of the animals in her home and the rest in an enclosed space in her backyard.

But Animal Control officers told her she's in violation of city code, which states one residence can only house up to five animals.

Officers told VanDusen that she would be fined $500 if she does not reduce the number of animals in her home to five by April 14.

In describing one of her dogs, VanDusen said "he's blind. He has a neurological disorder on his back legs. He's old, he's 14 years old. Who wants to adopt a dog that could pass away in a few months?"

VanDusen said turning our backs on the soldiers' pets is simply unacceptable.

"We're supposed to support our troops," she said. "If they can't support the troops by supporting the animals of the troops, then I can't live in a city that doesn't back our troops. Because these guys are innocent victims of what's going on over there."

Anyone who'd like to adopt one of the dogs or cats can meet VanDusen's animals at the Puyallup PetSmart at 120 31st Avenue between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. on Saturday.

Amstaffer

It makes me sick sometimes how so many people say "I support the troops" and they don't. We don't support them in the hospital, in private employment adjustment, emotionally...and now their pets :mad:

Thanks for caring, Amstaffer! I was thinking that maybe more time could be bought for these miltary pets and their wonderful caretaker.

I'm going to write the City of Lakewood and the city council and politely petition them to grant an emergency extension to this woman so she has more time to find homes for these guys. Sounds like she can keep 5.

[email protected]
[email protected]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are so right that we can do better by the military. Here is a video of the pets. A lot are small dogs and cats, so even if they are seniors, they still make nice calm, affectionate pets and can be kept in many apartments. My dog is a senior and he is a real blessing.

http://www.king5.com/video/index.html?nvid=234179

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I didn't know the animal shelter on Fort Lewis shut down!!! :( I can't imagine how many more dogs we are going to get at the Tacoma Humane Society due to this. We already get far too many from solders leaving! :(

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
http://www.komotv.com/news/17414509.html

LAKEWOOD, Wash. -- A local woman who rescued dozens of animals that were left behind by deployed soldiers is being told to give them up.
Diana VanDusen began taking in stray and unwanted pets after the animal shelter at Fort Lewis shut down. Most of the animals are old or disabled, and most come from military families from Fort Lewis who have had to move overseas.

Some of the soldiers reclaim their pets when they return home, but others do not have such a luxury.

"The rest (of the soldiers) - they had to abandon (their pets), because they didn't know when they were coming back," said VanDusen. "One cat I held for two years, and no one came back for it. So I knew it was time to adopt it out."

VanDusen keeps some of the animals in her home and the rest in an enclosed space in her backyard.

But Animal Control officers told her she's in violation of city code, which states one residence can only house up to five animals.

Officers told VanDusen that she would be fined $500 if she does not reduce the number of animals in her home to five by April 14.

In describing one of her dogs, VanDusen said "he's blind. He has a neurological disorder on his back legs. He's old, he's 14 years old. Who wants to adopt a dog that could pass away in a few months?"

VanDusen said turning our backs on the soldiers' pets is simply unacceptable.

"We're supposed to support our troops," she said. "If they can't support the troops by supporting the animals of the troops, then I can't live in a city that doesn't back our troops. Because these guys are innocent victims of what's going on over there."

Anyone who'd like to adopt one of the dogs or cats can meet VanDusen's animals at the Puyallup PetSmart at 120 31st Avenue between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. on Saturday.

I wonder if I could grab one and help find it a new home. I'm guessing that is this Saturday that she will be there?

If so I'll go down and take a look and see if I can help. :)

Thanks for posting this!

chanda

this is really sad... where do they think that lady will place all those animals... look she's just taking care of those poor animals... and now they are going to fine her... I think they should spend their time helping her finding new homes for those animals than punish her for doing something good.

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
This is really sad for the animals... but I honestly think that military members need to rethink their attitude, too. I mean, it doesn't take a lot of brain to figure out that you'll be deployed for awhile at some point... so if you can't provide to take a pet with you... why do you have one? There are so many people, especially in the military who have no business owning pets... and it gives a bad light on responsible owners. Little rant over :)

But still... it is sad that this is being shut down :( :(

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
This is really sad for the animals... but I honestly think that military members need to rethink their attitude, too. I mean, it doesn't take a lot of brain to figure out that you'll be deployed for awhile at some point... so if you can't provide to take a pet with you... why do you have one? There are so many people, especially in the military who have no business owning pets... and it gives a bad light on responsible owners. Little rant over :)

But still... it is sad that this is being shut down :( :(
That is VERY true! We see this a lot, people, including army people, consider pets as disposable. :( It's sad.

I wonder if I could grab one and help find it a new home. I'm guessing that is this Saturday that she will be there?

If so I'll go down and take a look and see if I can help. :)

Thanks for posting this!
Thank you for caring! Sounds like you are overwhelmed in Tacoma, already. A lot of those dogs and cats do look to be adoptable, so if you can help just one it would be great. I hope with all the publicity, maybe lots of people will show up at the PetSmart event, and/or Lakewood might grant an extension to the shelter. It looked clean and the animals looked good, too.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Thank you for caring! Sounds like you are overwhelmed in Tacoma, already. A lot of those dogs and cats do look to be adoptable, so if you can help just one it would be great. I hope with all the publicity, maybe lots of people will show up at the PetSmart event, and/or Lakewood might grant an extension to the shelter. It looked clean and the animals looked good, too.
That's one thing I noticed about the video! I was worried her place might be a bit overrun and rundown, but she seems to have a very nice set-up, at least from the video you showed. Her outdoor cat cage is pretty big and nice! None of the dogs look dirty or neglected in the slightest, and her house seemed pretty clean as well. It seems like she really cares for these animals and was doing a really good job with them. It sucks big time she has such a short time to find them homes!

Do you know what will happen to the animals she can't find homes for? Do they go to the HS of tacom/pierce county?

I really hope not. For the cats I don't have much hope for and the dogs with issues either. :( It's just way too sad. I hope she can find some homes for them!

I've got some good news about the situation with the Lakewood soldiers' pets! The city has decided to work with Ms. VanDusen and give her more time as long as she shows she is making an effort to place the animals. Also, all the dogs had been placed prior to the adoption event. (Big relief since we were thinking of taking in the really elderly little dog and it would have been a stretch for us financially since our little guy is older and has a lot of medical needs now, too. Whew!)

Here's the article with the news about the extension:

http://www.komoradio.com/news/17444444.html

Also a Canadian blogger has been covering this story and has a nice post here:

http://redstarcafe.wordpress.com/2008/04/12/buying-time-for-soldiers-pets/

(She also covers some other positive stories about animal loving soldiers in Iraq.)

One of the articles she has there reveals that one of Ms. VanDusen's neighbors was bothered by the dogs' barking, so hopefully now with just some of the cats left to adopt, the pressure will be off the city code enforcement department.

So thanks very much for everyone's interest and support. I think the emails helped and all the publicity must have helped some good people make room in their lives for new family members.

I am sure it will hearten the troops to know people care. Resources are stretched thin and I think some soldiers are getting caught off-guard as the usual support system shrinks.

Members online

No members online now.