Finding the perfect stud...

wolfsoul

I Love My Belgian
*Sigh* I'm having so much trouble finding a stud to breed Visa to. Most of the breeders in the province are no good, but we want to be able to drive rather than have Visa shipped, so that leaves here (BC), Alberta, or Washington. I've scoured the internet and looked at every website I can find, but nothing looks just right.

Anyone here ever have that problem? Did you eventually find the right male?

The other dogs are "telling" us that she is going to be coming into heat soon. Probably within a month. We had a male picked, but decided to breed her to a tervuren instead. I know a terv with a wonderful temperment, but I don't think his head will be an improvement upon Visa's. Then we picked another, but found out that he is old and we don't want to do an AI. I know of another one that is absolutely gorgeous, but I don't like his temperment. The only grey terv male in Alberta I've found is European (straight from Hungary infact) and I want to breed her to an American terv. Of course I can find tons of fawn tervs, but no greys, and we want a grey. This search just seems ridiculous!

So if ANYONE knows of anyone with a grey terv for stud, preferably American lines, in BC, AB, or WA, let me know!!!

bubbatd

Don't do it through the INTERNET. Look up the breeding clubs in those Provinces .... they will know good studs.

R

RedyreRottweilers

I think you are making two serious mistakes.....

1) HURRYING to find the right dog

2) making COLOR a criteria of selection

IMO, one should carefully make a list of the strengths and weaknesses of the bitch and what is behind her, and search for a dog who is correct who is strong where she is weak and who reinforces her good points.

I strongly suggest you find a mentor whom you respect to help you, and DO NOT RUSH to find a dog for your bitch.

R

RedyreRottweilers

I'm also interested in why you prefer Grey. Grey is a serious fault in the US and under the FCI breed standard in the Tervuren.

You will be limiting yourself strongly by breeding/producing grey Tervs.

Jordan, I have to say that this thread shocks me. You have always come off as a responsible pet owner and this threat completely contradicts that. Do not rush anything, take your time and if ends don't meet for this heat then so be it.

Ash47

Taco Dog
wolfsoul said:
We had a male picked, but decided to breed her to a tervuren instead.
Isn't that mix breeding? I know nothing about Shepherds, but it seems that since Visa is a Gro. then you would want to breed her to another one, not a Terv??

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Honestly, and I'm truely not trying to be mean here, but if your girl is of excellent breeding quality and had enough exposure at various functions, be it agility, herding or conformation, then you should have had stud owners approaching you with the possibility of using their dog.

I would seriously wait and do a LOT more research.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Who cares if you miss this season. It's better to find a good stud dog.

Also why grey? Color should be the LAST thing on your mind.

I do know why your doing it but personaly I dont think you should breed to a Tev. You should find your own breed. Just my opinion. besides weren't you going to breed to a Mal before?

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Ash47 said:
Isn't that mix breeding?
It's been discussed before. No, it's not a mixed breeding. In Canada, the belgian shepherds are considered different varieties, not seperate breeds.

I do think that you should wait in breeding Visa. According to your website, she's on a good track to getting her titles, but she is not titled yet. Wait until she gets her CH. Then you'll have no problem finding a good stud--they'll come to you.

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
Most breedings are planned way ahead of time. I have only done one breeding off of a hurried decision. Although the Male I bred to was a no brainer. Very well bred and certainly complimented my female. I am looking around at studs right now for a future breeding. Taking this summer to see them at tests and trials.
Anyways. . . . ....
I know nothing about your particular breed but I did find this.
Heres a club in Spokane Wa
http://www.dogequipment.com/csc/successes.htm

Sheka

Well evreything worth saying has been said so I'll just give u a GOOD LUCK :)
And dont be too stressed out, there is always next time. And ur dog is very beautiful

Ash47

Taco Dog
Gempress said:
It's been discussed before. No, it's not a mixed breeding. In Canada, the belgian shepherds are considered different varieties, not seperate breeds.

I do think that you should wait in breeding Visa. According to your website, she's on a good track to getting her titles, but she is not titled yet. Wait until she gets her CH. Then you'll have no problem finding a good stud--they'll come to you.
Ok thanks Gempress. I wasn't sure.

wolfsoul

I Love My Belgian
Gempress said:
According to your website, she's on a good track to getting her titles, but she is not titled yet. QUOTE]
Visa is titled, she has her HIC and CGN. She has four points towards her CH and is working on her first obedience and agility titles this year. She is also CERFed and the results of her hips and elbows are pending.

We are not hurrying -- we already have a male to breed her to if we can't find a grey terv (which is not a fault, it's perfectly acceptable). But we would prefer a grey terv.

I am not the one breeding her, I do not have breeding rights until her first litter is done with -- THEN I get all breeding rights. Her breeder decides when and to whom she will be bred with, I am only helping in the decision. We would like to find a grey terv because we want assurance that the puppies will carry grey (though we could breed her to a fawn carrier, grey is just easier).

Groenendaels and tervurens are NOT different breeds -- they are the same breed. All Belgian shepherds are the same thing.

This really isn't rushed. She has had this one male picked out for two years --- we were just hoping to find another one. His temperment strongly suits Visa's but his head is like her's -- coarse. And now Visa's breeder wants to get into tervs and just recieved a male that carries terv who may be a match for Visa's puppy. In order to create terv, both of the parents have to carry it. That is why we want to breed her to a terv, not to mention the fact that Visa has strong working ability and would help tervs where they are starting to lack in drive. But if we can't find another male, this male is perfectly acceptable. He picks up where she lacks in temperment, they would some create puppies with manageable drives, he has his Can/Am/Int CH, his HIC, CD, and CGC. He's very nice.

I am not just picking breeders off the internet -- we would meet the dog before the breeding. That's why we don't want to ship.

In any case, I've found a beautiful terv in Sask, a little farther than we'd hoped, but I'm going to contact the breeder and see if this dog may be a good match.

Members online