Walking harness

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I hate harnesses but I realize we need one. Summer walks behind me and her leash often gets tangled under foot no matter how hard I try not to. Today we were at the park and I tripped over her leash and it jerked her pretty badly. Now we're home and she's obviously sore on her neck. I feel awful. I just don't think I can walk her on a collar again.

What's easy on and easy off and not likely to rub her? I want something she can very comfortably run full out in.

DenoLo

I really like puppia, the original doesn't fit Lola because the necks always seem huge (and arn't adjustable). The puppia sport fits like a glove though.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
For a basic walking harness that fits a wide range of body types, you can't beat the Premier SureFit. :)

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I recommend Puppia. Lucy usually hated harnesses, but the Puppia was soft and comfortable for her, but strong as well, and resistant to wear and tear.

JacksonsMom

I love Puppia as far as comfort and versatility goes, but I THINK I recall you saying they fit Paps funny? But it's really my go-to harness. It's the only one I feel comfortable leaving him in all day if we have to, he runs in it perfect, it's never bothered him, etc. Easy wash/wear, easy to put on.

But if Puppia is not an option, and if you want just a basic comfortable harness, check out the Wiggles Wags and Whiskers Freedom harness. The front straps have velvet lining so they're comfortable and they have d-ring on the front AND back.

I actually have a black Premier Surefit, I didn't like the way it fit Jackson personally but lots love it, plus it was too thin/narrow on him for my liking (1/2" width). It's an XSmall - 1/2" Wide (15"-21" Girth). If it would fit her, I'd send it to you free, just for the cost of shipping if it's something you're interested in. Only been worn once to try on.

As far as leather harnesses for small dogs, you have Buddy Belt or Choke-Free. I've have both but did sell the BB - I just had too many harnesses lol. I prefer the ChokeFree, as it's lighter, a bit more 'flimsy', but it's not as adjustable as the BB. I have a black one though and do love it.

MicksMom

For a basic walking harness that fits a wide range of body types, you can't beat the Premier SureFit. :)
I second the Premier SureFit. Caleb's is used for hiking and Nosework. But I put one on Mick anytime he was on a leash after his LP diagnosis. I clipped the leash to the ring on the front of the chest. A hint- as much as I hate flexis for routine walkes, I used one for Mick those last few years as well because it didn'ty drag on the ground as he toddled along behind me.

Locke

My favourite is a step-in harness. I find them easy on and off, but it might rub under the armpits too much.

My comfortflexes are my everything harnesses, swimming, walking, camping, everything they are easy on and easy off and light weight, they dont rub anywhere and no one has ever escaped one I love them.

JacksonsMom

I'm not sure if a comfortflex would be appropriate for a small pap tho? I know I have one for Jackson, and while I like it okay... the velcro part is kind of annoying (but Jackson has short hair, so doesn't get bothered by it) and it's literally so wide and the d-ring is HUGE, even in the small size.

Here's Jackson's in his, you can see the width, and how high it sits up on his chest (if he decides to pull for whatever reason, he will choke, which kind of defeats the purpose of a harness IMO). And he's... double Summer's size maybe? He's about 18lbs give or take.

and the d-ring that hangs and dangles on his back whenever he runs lol

(ignore the burr stuck in his hair)

It's not that I don't like them, just wanted to point out my experience with them. It's not my personal favorite harness but I do like it in the snow as it goes over his clothes, or the d-ring can easily pull thru the hole in his jackets.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I know plenty of small dogs as well as long hair dogs that wear them just fine.

Another option is the K9 Julius ones, lots of pap people like those at agility.

Pap and the Pea Harness

I feel like the princess and the pea with harnesses. My Pap will pace in many harnesses. The horizontal strap across the chest, like the kind in Jackson's photo, I really wanted to work because of the easy drop over the big fluffy ears, plus they scream Super Cool Sport Dog :D. He paced.

That horizontal strap limits foreleg reach. I would avoid that for 'full out running.' On bigger dogs, maybe that strap rests above the shoulder. With the step-in, snap at withers style, the straps kinda wrapped around the shoulder, again limiting reach. He paced.

The puppia and the like, I found, were too broad between the forelegs and not long enough through the forelegs to rest clear of the elbow. My Pap, a male, has a deep chest. I wanted the simple, basic, H style, used-to-be-the-only-kind-PetWhatever-sold harness. They don't sell those for little dogs anymore.

I settled on a cat harness (not the figure 8) for a long time. I finally ordered the Surefit others have mentioned and I'm pleased. It is a slight struggle to pull it off over the big fluffy ears (I could open it more). No snaps around the neck to snag ear fringe. The neck part hangs in a V. No pacing!! The strap between the forelegs is adjustable. Finally! You don't have to lift and finagle any foreleg since there is a buckle for each girth strap.

Members online

No members online now.