beagle mix crying in kennel

KhayNette

Hi there, have an 8 and a half week old beagle mix, had him for a week tomorrow. I know beagles are vocal, but he only barks a bit when he is playing other than that he is silent - except for in his kennel. I send him in with a treat, tell him go to bed and give him treat and praise when he does. I shut the kennel, he finishes the treat and begins to cry...whining, yelping, howling. He has a marrow bone and 2 fave toys in with him. He is better than when we first got him, but sometimes he acts like he's not. He will quiet down. Then cry again, quiet down, cry again. If I just keep ignoring him while he's crying in there will he definetley stop eventually? How long can it take? My worry is we had a chinese crested, which I had to give to my mom as we were given eviction notice or get rid of dog because she would bawl and bawl and bawl when I left. Never could get her to stop, but I never crate trained her as a puppy and babied her immensely. Tried for a long time to get her to stop the crying. Will our puppy get over this on his own?

DogMinded

Hi there, have an 8 and a half week old beagle mix, had him for a week tomorrow. I know beagles are vocal, but he only barks a bit when he is playing other than that he is silent - except for in his kennel. I send him in with a treat, tell him go to bed and give him treat and praise when he does. I shut the kennel, he finishes the treat and begins to cry...whining, yelping, howling. He has a marrow bone and 2 fave toys in with him. He is better than when we first got him, but sometimes he acts like he's not. He will quiet down. Then cry again, quiet down, cry again. If I just keep ignoring him while he's crying in there will he definetley stop eventually? How long can it take? My worry is we had a chinese crested, which I had to give to my mom as we were given eviction notice or get rid of dog because she would bawl and bawl and bawl when I left. Never could get her to stop, but I never crate trained her as a puppy and babied her immensely. Tried for a long time to get her to stop the crying. Will our puppy get over this on his own?
You can help him out by putting one of your dirty shirts in the kennel with him. You can even wrap a stuffed animal with it and place a portable clock under it to simulate a heart beat. Always put a fresh dirty shirt in there so your scent is always fresh.

Members online

No members online now.