Help please?

babymomma

Remembering Casey ♥
I know somebody recommended one to me before, But I cannot for the life of me remember what book it was.. And the search thing doesnt seem to like agreeing with me.

So, Can somebody recommend a good book that will help me with teaching keely (And myself mostly) Agility. Im seriously the worst handler EVER and I'm pretty much cluless as to what im doing. It will probably need to be pretty idiot proof. lol.

BostonBanker

You've got me. I'm not someone who can learn something like that from a book; I need someone watching me and offering instant feedback. The only agility book I've read is Shaping Success, which I loved, but I would recommend it as "a way to learn agility" per se.

Dekka

Just try me..
its not really something you can learn from a book really, anymore than you could learn the tango or any complicated ballroom dance from a book. Books are good, but to help fine tune ideas, not teach the whole thing.

if you are a visual learner videos might work better, esp if you can video yourself and your dog and compare... though you won't get the feedback on how to fix things..

babymomma

Remembering Casey ♥
See books are really the only thing I can get to help me.. I know somebody recomended something to me before that could help me.. It wouldnt really teach me per say but it would help.. I dont Have anywhere I can go to take classes or anybody even remotly nearby that could help.. GUess i should just give up on it all.

hirsh1

Dog agility books

There's two books that have good reviews but I haven't read or used them. They are "Agility Training for You and Your Dog: From Backyard Fun to High-Performance Training" and "The Beginner's Guide to Dog Agility". Both of them can be purchased from Amazon among other stores on line and are both under $15. If you're interested in buying agility equipment, let me know. There are a few places I know about that are the least expensive.
Good Luck!

elegy

overdogged
i have from the ground up: agility foundation training for puppies and beginner dogs by kim collins. i found it helpful for some things, but not others.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
This is just a thought, I don't know if it would work.

Is there anyone near you? Even within a few hours drive. You could email them, tell them your situation, and maybe they would be willing to do a one day, private "overload" of training with you? Just so you can see how it's done, let them give Keely a good start, you would have one on one training from a trainer for a day, take lots of notes, pictures, etc so you can remember the things taught. Maybe do that a couple times? You wouldn't be able to do a regular 'class' type thing, but going a couple times rather than never wouldn't hurt!

Also, I'd be looking into Agility clinics if I were you.

Just a thought? :)

Bear Luv

CEO of the Candy Cult
Classes really are so helpful. I didnt realize how much until Rush and I started classes. My handling has improved so much already because I now know just a little bit more about timing and positioning and where to look. It gets complicated! If you are just learning to teach the obstacles and simple stuff, books and youtube can help (you got to get creative!). Read articles and remember asking for advice always helps. A trainer is better because they can show you the right way to train for your dog and help you get creative. You can only do SO much on your own.

Members online

No members online now.