Oakley's going away tomorrow :(

Dreeza

:(

He isnt going away for good...

4-8 weeks...

He is being trained by an animal behaviorist, and should come back being an obedient dog, consistently.

He has some emotional reactivity thing going on, basically...if we dont take this drastic measure, we have to either get rid of him...which would be a death sentence for him, or risk him biting someone, and then he goes bye bye for good, and yet, another death sentence.

Once he gets excited past a certain threshold, he throws temper tantrums, and loses control of himself, and is unaware of what he is doing...and for now, because he has learned to control his bite, nothing REALLY bad has happened....but once he learns that he doesnt have to control it....it will be bad...he goes nuts when he gets too excited...he turns from cute, friendly, funny oakley, to evil, devil, scary oakley...

So this trainer is going to try to teach oakley to be more relaxed around things that cause him to get excited.

I am going to miss him sooo much :(

Wish him luck, and farewell!

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I sure he will be fine, and it has to be done. Will you be able to visit him, or atleast call and check on his progress. You are doing the best for your dog and you should be happy that you are putting forth all this effort for him.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Aw... I know you'll miss him but be proud that you're doing what's best for your dog. I've got my 1st training session with this new trainer on Saturday.

Y

yuckaduck

With all the research you have done on this guy and all the questions you hae asked; Okley will be in very good hands. You are making a very good choice and congradultions for not giving up on Oakley. It will work out for the best just wit nd see.

avenlee

Your doing the right thing for nipping (no pun intended) in the butt. He'll be ok. I hope the weeks go by fast for you.

dani12

I know you will miss him and he you but you should be proud that you are doing the right thing and not giving up on him! Wish him luck from us. :)

Dreeza

aww thanks so much for the support everybody :)

My sister's wedding is tomorrow, so that will def help to keep my mind off of missing him...and then i go back up to school, where i wouldn't be able to bring him anyways.

We are not allowed to visit, for he has found that when owners visit, it sets the dog back a few days, and makes it more difficult. We can call, and he will call at the end of every week to let us know Oakley's progress.

Dreeza

i miss coming home to that crazy goofball...

his tail wagging like crazy, layin on the floor squirming all over the place, trying to control himself not to jump...it was soooo cute

we moved all his stuff to the basement :(

i keep wanting him to come run up to me with his little purple squeaky football, and continuously run it into my leg, and jump in my lap, squeaking it like crazy, trying to make me throw it

i was sad cause i wasnt there when he got picked up...i was getting my nails done (for my sister's wedding) my appt was supposed to be at 10 am, but they HAD to move it to 3pm...and Oakley got picked up at 4pm...had i had a car, i coulda made it, but when i was done, my dad was finishing up talking with the behaviorist, so by the time he picked me up, and we got home, he was gone...i had said bye to him just in case that happened...but still...

my brother asked 'do we our money back if you decided oakley really cannot be helped" apparently, his answer was "shuttup(in a nice way!), that is NOT even an option, Oakley will come back, trained" ... so that took away a TON of worrying ... i was sooo scared that might happen.

anyways, i will keep you updated on his progress!

Members online

No members online now.