Does this sound normal to you?

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Ok i know Huskies are vocal and i know Chinooks can be too but I have never heard one of my dogs ever make this noise before. I was ok in the barn during evening feed and i heard this weird gurgly/howly/yelp kinda noise coming from Stinker. I automatically thought the worst and fetl around on him and looked down his throat the best i can and in his mouth but i saw nothing wrong and he was looking at me like are you crazy mum? We did'nt run our normal two hour runs today do to Babes Vet check so im not sure whats going on. He seems fine now acting completely normal eating and drinking fine. I called my dad about it since he like me grew up around huskies and then brought about his out training ranch as well and has heard plenty of strange Husky vocalizations. He said he could'nt tell me unless he heard it himself but thinks im just being paranoid and if he's fine to hold off calling the vet until tomarow morning. Im thinking he's probley fine it was just weird but of course Stinker has given me plenty of bizzar firsts which i have ran him to the vet for and leacing with them saying he's fine so who knows. If you have any idea let me know.

Saje

Island dweller
I don't know what to think about that. I've heard dogs make all kinds of weird noises. Maybe she was trying to get your attention. :) I know that maverick makes the funniest whooping noise when he snores but that's normal for him. I guess you should just keep an eye on him. He's probably alright.

I had a Doberman named Joe who would make this "Errrrr...OW!" noise when he thought he was doing something especially clever. It had nothing to do with me or anyone else, it was more of a "Eureka!" sort of exclamation. Point being, your pooch may just have been talking to himself. :) You might try writing to a breed club and ask around there. I'd go to the vet tomorrow anyway, but I'm a worry-wart.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
thanks both of you :) from what you say creatureteacher about the soudn your dog used to make sounds pretty similar to what Stinker was doing lol. I don't know he's a mighty weird dog lol. I've got a payment plan set up with my vet so if i do have to bring him to the vet tomarow I will and not have to worry to much about it as much as i used to which would be nice.

Saje

Island dweller
You must have a great vet then! My vet has a giant sign that says everything must be paid in full at the end of the visit and they aren't accepting cheques anymore.

Of course, this town is going broke so there are probably a lot more dishonest folks about (or just people who can't pay). Either way it's great that you have that kind of relationship with your vet.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
lol yeah my whole life is based on luck and friends in high places. My vets kinda like the family doctor who I have been going to sicne i was a kid same with my vet. So he know's how hard it is to get by and im thankful he is so kind and he knows that I alwasy pay him back.

I just had to switch vets. Get this; my cat had bladder crystals and a urethra blockage. He spent 5 days in emergency care. Of course, by the end of it I was a total wreck worrying about him. I went and visited him twice a day, which I hope made him feel better, but I felt even worse seeing him all shaved and drugged and full of tubes. Then, when he was finally ready to go home, the vet told me, "Okay, that's $750." I told him I could pay him $400 now, but he'd have to wait until next month to get the rest. He told me to use a credit card (which now that I'm thinking about it, was a very rude answer) and I told him I don't have a credit card, and he was just going to have to wait. He threw this huge fit and started talking about calling his lawyer and garnishing my wages. And I thought, well come on, who does have $750 in pocket change? I finally had to call my grandmother and borrow $300, because he wasn't going to give my cat back!! :mad:

So now I drive 3 hours for non-emergency vet treatment. When you find a vet who's knowledgable and hasn't completely lost all sense of human decency, you have to stick with him!

Saje

Island dweller
Wow, Emma. That's horrible. I can't believe he wouldn't give your cat back. I also live in an area with few vets. Two in this town. I've only been to one so far and I think I'm going to try the second one next time I go. I hope your new vet is better!

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Ok I called my vets office to ask him if this all sounded seriouse enough to bring Stinker in. And since Stinker hasent made that sound since yesterday evening he told me it was probley just Stinker being vocal but if it seemed to irritate him or seem painful to him then bring him in. and as long as he's eating and drinking it should'nt be a problem. So that kind of saved me a vet trip and stopped me from being paranoid.

Saje

Island dweller
LOL that's good. We are all paranoid and it feels good when we are given reason not to be. :)

Emma, that vet was not only a jerk - he's very short-sighted! How many people with pets ask you for advice? How many people with pets do you know? How many pets do you have, and family members nearby with pets?

Now, how many of them are you going to recommend him to?

That vet doesn't have a very good grasp of how human relations affect economics, does he?

Pits, it sounds like Stinker is just a talker! You should hear the noises these three make, lol! Bimmer has a whole vocabulary of wolfy vocalizations, Kharma makes the STRANGEST sounds sometimes - indescribable, and Shiva sounds like Chewbacca more often than not. Then there are the times that they sound like the creatures in the movie, "The Dark Crystal."

So I'd go with what your vet said - as long as he's eating and swallowing normally and acting normally, quit worrying. He may just be learning a second language . . . :D

Barb04

Super Moderator
My Max makes the strangest sounds from high pitch to deep barks as well as his infamous Woo Woos (this is exactly what is sounds like). He makes me laugh.

Then I have CJ who makes noises that I can't describe. Carl said he never heard sounds like that coming out of a dog. When CJ get excited, the noises are even more weird.

Oh, that's so funny, Barb! Shiva does those 'woo-woos' too; she purses her lips in a perfect circle, stretches that big neck out, looks directly at me and does it over and over again. She's usually complaining about something; when she's standing by the refrigerator I know she's complaining about not having a cookie, since I keep them on top of the 'fridge. When it's really funny, though, is when she's complaining to me after Kharma has hoodooed her out of her favorite spot on the sofa - in front of the heater. She'll stand in front of it and look at Kharma, then look at me and woo-woo.

Members online

No members online now.