new pup in the house

toonk

Got one yesterday. a female rescue shepard/boxer/pit/lab mix. she is about 9 weeks old.
so far she is super mellow, and very inquisitive, searching everything out, and sniffing all over. she is also well on her way to understanding out potty training.
no name yet, but she knows my voice well. so she comes to me.
but there is one problem, she is a bit bigger then my sisters two malteses, and kind of bullies them around. but she is a submissive dog, that is to say, she has no problem with me rolling her on her back, and when watching her interact with older dogs she gives into them.
any suggestions to show her she cant be that rough with the littler dogs?
she dosent mind them most of the time, but they get her riled up some times.

thanks

Sweet72947

Squishy face
I suggest separating her from the malteses as soon as she gets too rough, that way she learns that rough play means the fun stops. Make sure you are always watching when they interact, when your pup gets bigger she'll be able to squish the malteses by accident.

Good luck with your pup! :)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
AT nine weeks that is a toughy to teach, best be with lots of monitoring. Congrats on your new family member! Sounds like a dandy.

toonk

nope, no name yet. waiting for my girlfriend to see her too.(tomorrow)
but my current ideas are, Taz, Mia, Coco, Mocha....
and how do i load a photo? do i have to host it on another site first?
-chuck

toonk

bumping up for some people i was talking with in the health board....
happy new year!

milos_mommy

she's gorgeous! I'd advise against rolling her on her back though, it will hurt more than help. She'll get defensive, and nervous.

Crating her or simply removing her for a minute when she's too rough, with the warning "gentle" should help her learn to play nicely.

aww what a cutie

as far as with the rough housing, we use a stern "NO" and a clap of the hands, kinda startles them at first then they settle right down. i am against the crate thing ( kinda bad girl that way LOL), i have a GSD/lab mix 5 month old, and a lab/whippet mix who is way smaller than my GSD mix, we just say things like "gentle" "play nice" and that seems to do it very well.

either way good luck you have a real cutie there.

toonk

no blue... only pink. the vet thought chow was possible as well but he checked the tounge out.
im working on teaching her "be good" when she gets riled up. and if that fails she goes outside away from the smaller dogs. and i let her chill out a bit.
she is very into hiding things, toys bones etc. if i let her outside and she has one, it is imideately a mission to find the best hiding place. very funny to watch.

Now that is a very, VERY determined little face on that pup. She's going to keep you on your toes, but she's going to be worth every single moment. I do think you've got an extremely smart girl there :)

Members online

No members online now.