Raw Eggs

JacksonsMom

Anyone feed them?

Jackson does not eat a raw diet... but I gave him a raw egg last week (without the shell) and he scarfed it down.

I thought maybe giving him one raw egg a week may be a good "supplement". I know it's supposed to be good for their skin/coat.

Anyone else do this? See results with coat or differences? His coat is already pretty shiny and soft, so I'm not super concerned, but just thought it'd be a nice addition to give him weekly.

He eats Acana kibble mixed with wet food (usually Weruva or Canine Caviar) OR we'll just use a little bit of plain chicken breast or whatever extra meat we may have laying around or from leftovers.

I give a raw egg once or twice a week. The yolk especially is very nutritious. Having said that, raw whites contain a substance called avidin that binds biotin (one of the B vitamins) so you shouldn't feed them every day, over time it theoretically could lead to a biotin deficiency.

Actually, as long as you feed the whole egg, not just the white, you are fine. The egg yolk compensates for it.
I've heard this here and there but I think this is a myth and don't really agree with it. Partially because I've seen it happen to dogs fed excessive amounts of raw (whole) eggs, and partially because it makes no sense to me... there's no reason the avidin in the white can't bind the biotin in the yolk along with the biotin in other foods.

It can....but yolks are VERY high in biotin. You feed them together the small amount that is bound by the white is inconsequential.

Everyone can do what they want of course, but to me it makes no sense for the whole egg not to work together...I am really big on foods in their whole state though, you start piecing them up is usually when you get issues as they are no longer balanced.

It can....but yolks are VERY high in biotin. You feed them together the small amount that is bound by the white is inconsequential.
I'm interested if any work has been done to show this, because I literally have seen it happen to dogs. Do you have a cite? (Not trying to be snarky, honestly curious if this issue has been put to bed.)

Everyone can do what they want of course, but to me it makes no sense for the whole egg not to work together...I am really big on foods in their whole state though, you start piecing them up is usually when you get issues as they are no longer balanced.
Well a couple of whole eggs here and there is a lot different than eating multiple raw eggs on a consistent basis. Almost nothing that is good for you, is good for you in excessive amounts.

lizzybeth727

I feed raw eggs to my guys. I scramble the egg and mix it with the kibble, then I crunch up the shell and mix that in as well. I'm hoping a couple of eggs a week will help Keegan put on some weight; so far it doesn't seem to be making a difference, but he loves eggs and they're not hurting anything.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
I... have no link but I read a recent study showing that the yolks actually DO NOT compensate for the avidin in the raw whites. I can look for the link but it will take me a while.

I either cook 'em over easy (if I'm already doing it for myself) or i just strain the white out through my fingers before I feed.

Every link I find says the opposite of the other...

And yes, nothing is good in excess...but thats not what we are talking about when just the egg and if whites are safe to feed.

My dogs have always had multiple whole eggs a week and have never had issues.

eh, this sounds snarky and I dont mean it to be. From what I have seen adn read over and over there seems to be no consensus. Yes, I would not suggest feeding in excess...but that goes for anything as if you are feeding that many eggs something else is missing.

I know many dogs who get even an egg a day and have never had issues

Well, if I'm making a general statement to be cautious of feeding excessive amounts of raw egg, then... it kind of IS what I was talking about. :confused:
I went back and edited. Maybe its clearer...been a LOOONG day lol

What I mean I think people would have to be feeding a ridiculous amount of eggs for most dogs to have an issue (and I dont think its just biotin deficiency as the issue from it). If they are eating that many eggs the balance overall is off because they arent eating enough other things, meat, kibble, what have you

My pups are on a high quality kibble and every 2-3 weeks (when I remember and when we have them) they get an egg each, shell included. They love them.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Every link I find says the opposite of the other...

And yes, nothing is good in excess...but thats not what we are talking about when just the egg and if whites are safe to feed.

My dogs have always had multiple whole eggs a week and have never had issues.

eh, this sounds snarky and I dont mean it to be. From what I have seen adn read over and over there seems to be no consensus. Yes, I would not suggest feeding in excess...but that goes for anything as if you are feeding that many eggs something else is missing.

I know many dogs who get even an egg a day and have never had issues
To be fair, your dogs are also a lot bigger than little Jackson, so a raw egg isn't as much for them as they are for Jackson

Lyzelle

I feed raw eggs, no problems here. And I've noticed a huge improvement in Zander's coat while feeding them. I give one + SG Seameal in his breakfast every other morning. Seameal helped his coat, but the egg really boosted it.

No gas, no problems at all. He has a soft mouth, and doesn't understand breaking the shell himself, but that is about it.

Teal

...ice road...
Our old yard dogs would get 2-3 raw eggs each a day when we'd collect em from the chickens... and that went on for 13 years or so, until they both passed from old age. Never had a problem with any deficiencies!

I still feed eggs, though not always daily. Shell and all!

naturalfeddogs

love the fluff
Anyone feed them?

Jackson does not eat a raw diet... but I gave him a raw egg last week (without the shell) and he scarfed it down.

I thought maybe giving him one raw egg a week may be a good "supplement". I know it's supposed to be good for their skin/coat.

Anyone else do this? See results with coat or differences? His coat is already pretty shiny and soft, so I'm not super concerned, but just thought it'd be a nice addition to give him weekly.

He eats Acana kibble mixed with wet food (usually Weruva or Canine Caviar) OR we'll just use a little bit of plain chicken breast or whatever extra meat we may have laying around or from leftovers.
I feed raw 100%, and mine get raw eggs pretty regular. Not as a whole meal, but just in between meals like a snack.

canines of all sorts have been eating eggs for thousands of years, and now someone is going to try and tell us they aren't good for them? pffffft please.

Raw eggs are eaten by everyone is this household, humans included

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Is there a trick to feeding eggs? I've tried it before and the dogs get absolutely horrible, room clearing gas.
Same here. It seems like painful gas for Auggie too, he doesn't seem very comfortable that day. =/ So we don't do raw eggs anymore. I just give salmon oil instead.

Members online

No members online now.