Wife Beater Shoots Dog

Romy

Taxiderpy
Holy cow. That older lady deserves a medal and then some. Fending off a psycho wife beater with a gun using only a broom? Poor Dozer deserves an awesome home. I'm really hoping he makes a full recovery. What a brave guy.

AliciaD

On second thought...
This isn't the first time an older woman has defended a dog (or another person) against a much scarier, stronger foe. Kudos to this woman and others like her, Grannies who stand up against bad guys are kick-@$$.

feedogs

I saw this on Facebook. That guy is such scum. Good on that lady, very brave! I hope the dog heals well and finds a great new home!

yoko

It says a lot about that lady that she protected him for so long even though she was afraid of him!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I hope this woman gets the help she can so she can live out her life without fear. Bravo for her for protecting the dog, i am so sorry the dog had to sit under the porch for all those days with such a wound. I hope funds are found soon to fix the pain.

Miakoda

I love that Granny. I kudos to getting the dog helped.

But I have to admit that it worries me a bit that the rescue held on to him while only providing beyond minimal care while looking for donations. IMO they should've turned him over IMMEDIATELY to an organization that could have given him the treatment he needed right then and there, or they should've had him PTS.

If an owner had been caught just giving the dog oral antibiotics and some pain meds while trying to work and save money for the dog's treatment, that owner would've been in jail on animal cruelty charges.

JMO

But glad it's worked out so far. Hope he makes it through the Immiticide treatment (plenty don't).

B

Backward_Cinderella

Mia:
As we have stated previously, the story originally presented to TAF when we were approached to help Dozer has become questionable.

While the story and the facts have many versions, we have been able to confidently establish the following: Dozer bit his male owner. Dozer was then later shot in the shoulder area by people in his house. Dozer ran away and hid under a neighbor's porch for multiple days without medical attention. The neighbor called a local animal welfare group for assistance. The local animal welfare group helped retrieve Dozer and Kira and the owners relinquished Dozer and Kira. The dogs were housed in a safe place and a local vet began treating him until he was medically cleared for transport to Chicago. An individual contacted the local group and THAT individual contacted TAF and sought financial assistance for Dozer and later Kira. TAF contacted Project Rescue Chicago to have the dogs transferred into PRC's program and arranged for veterinary and other care in Chicago. TAF did not receive the information about the original rescue group until yesterday and we contacted them immediately.

Dozer is receiving extensive and expensive medical and surgical care to repair the gunshot wound and related infections and will undergo heartworm treatment, neutering and behavioral training when he is cleared by the vet. Kira has been spayed and is in PRC's program for adoption and will also receive the requisite behavioral training.

We are disheartened the individual who contacted TAF seeking financial assistance felt it necessary to embellish Dozer's story. For us, the gunshot alone without the "story" was enough for us to help. To us, the important thing is that Dozer and Kira are now safe and in the hands of incredibly talented vets where they are receiving the best possible care, and a under the wing of a reputable and well-run rescue.

TAF and PRC have a standing policy to not identify the owners or supply any information about them to the general public. While we appreciate and value everyone's opinions and the support of our friends, we believe it prudent to maintain these confidentialities for the protection of the dogs. Comments regarding owners or personal information between individuals will not be responded to and may be deleted from the post on this site for the reasons noted above.

Dozer and Kira’s condition speaks for itself. TAF's mission, with the help of PRC, is to ensure that he and his "sister" are getting the best possible care and that's what we have been focusing on and that's why we have been constantly updating everyone as the situation unfolds.

Again, we thank each and every one of you for your understanding and continued support. We could not accomplish our mission to help needy animals such as Dozer and Kira without this support.

Members online

No members online now.