Lab won't lift or wag tail

luca

I have a 2 year old Lab that recently woke us up early one morning crying, he kept sitting down and nipping at the base of his tail near his anus. Examining his tail we see no lumps or cuts, if you try to lift it he starts crying. He eats and drinks fine and goes to the bathroom so it is not constipation. He walks around with his tail between his legs it is when you try to lift it up he starts to cry. Usually he is always wagging his tail but not lately. My wife took him for a long walk before his injury through the forest which he loves and he chased a duck into the river and then swam after it, my wife said that when he came out of the water he nipped at his tail for the first time. Could his tail be broken? maybe pulled a muscle or tendon? I'm baffled!!!

Any help or comments would be great!!!

bubbatd

Could be any of those three...........could anything have bitten it ???

maple

Queen of the Jungle
No problem...a lot of my "Lab" friends who are involved in dockdogs have had problems with cold tail. Some of them give something in the days leading up to a competition, and have also started supplementing with fish oil. Don't know if thats something you'd want to do, but if he swims alot then it might be a good idea, and even if it doesn't help, the fish oil is good for them and certainly won't harm them.
I get my fish oil in capsules at Costco -comes in a big bottle of a couple of hundred pills for about $15.00. Each of my dogs gets three or four a day, but I'm not always good about remembering, so i'd say over the course of a week, they might get about 25 each.

Hope your pooch feels better soon. :)

I have a 2 year old Lab that recently woke us up early one morning crying, he kept sitting down and nipping at the base of his tail near his anus. Examining his tail we see no lumps or cuts, if you try to lift it he starts crying. He eats and drinks fine and goes to the bathroom so it is not constipation. He walks around with his tail between his legs it is when you try to lift it up he starts to cry. Usually he is always wagging his tail but not lately. My wife took him for a long walk before his injury through the forest which he loves and he chased a duck into the river and then swam after it, my wife said that when he came out of the water he nipped at his tail for the first time. Could his tail be broken? maybe pulled a muscle or tendon? I'm baffled!!!

Any help or comments would be great!!!

Sounds like "dead tail" or a "cold in the tail" This is usually temporary and will correct itself. Many times this is caused by a bath, a dip in a lake, and sometimes it just happens. It is very common in goldens and labs.

Members online

No members online now.