Are vitamin mineral supplements nececssary?

Mikro

I feed our 14 week old Golden Retriever Innova Large Breed Puppy.
The Vet gave us a vitamin-mineral supplement (Pet Tabs), to be given 2 tablets a day.
I read somewhere that too much vitamins and minerals can cause hip Dysplasia.

Has anyone heard of this?

Saje

Island dweller
Why does he need supplements if he is being fed a quality kibble?

Mikro

I told the Vet what we were feeding her but he had never heard if Innova. That is when he prescibed the supplements.

Saje

Island dweller
Yeah, then it might be overkill. Sounds kinda weird to me. Is he the only vet in your area?

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I couldn't worry about them, you are feeding a VERY HIGH quality food. :)

Just to give a heads up, I once gave them to my dog, Lizzie, and she would not stop rubbing/scratching herself :(

Saje

Island dweller
Yeah. It does seem like overkill. And if they have a lot of fat soluable vitamins they could even overdose. But I don't know enough about that to scare you!

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
It is overkill. Feeding a quality food like Innova there is no need for a multi-vitamin source. It's a waste of your money. :)

Doberluv

Not only a waste of money, but some vitamins, the fat soluble type, can be over dosed on and damaging. Too much vitamin A can destroy the liver and can kill. Also things like selenium.....I forget what else can also be harmful if over dosed on. So, when they put these suppliments, as they do in the high quality kibbles, I'd want to know exactly how much the dog is getting from the kibble before adding vitamin/mineral suppliments. Added together, if the amount is appropriate, then it would be OK. But to arbitrarily give addiditional suppliments could be dangerous.

I know....these vets. Any vet I've ever mentioned any of several high, premium foods, look absolutely blank. They only know about Science Diet. LOL.

You are feeding one of the BEST foods on the Market
I tell my buyers no Vits unless I know about it .
I can cause so many issues.
And what they charge for Pet Tabs compared to online is HUGE markup.

Members online

No members online now.