Cant leave puppy alone.. Chews everything..

Shevelle

Hi again everyone,

Well now that Bella has been allowed to roam all over the house it seems that she thinks everything is hers.. Shoes, socks, etc.. WE pick up everything we can but she still comes out of any room with something in her mouth.. Is there any way to stop this? I know shes just a puppy but she is jumping on furniture, ripping bedspreads off the beds, and even taking the phone off the cradle and carring it around..

Any suggestions?

Thanks again!!

squirtsmom

If you are not watching her, she must be contained, or she will continue to destroy your ho me. My Squirt was just like that. Now she is able to roam the house and just sticks to her toys, but it took some ti me and patience.

ACooper

Use baby gates to block off rooms that you don't want her in. And squirt is right, you need to be able to see her at all times if she isn't in her crate/kennel.
Plenty of dogs have died swallowing things that got bound up in their intestines and what not. Supervision isn't just for your homes sake, it is also for the puppies own safety.

Shevelle

Your subject has your answer:

"Cant leave puppy alone.. Chews everything.."

Have you crate trained your dog?
http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html
Hiya
Thanks so much for repling..
She is pretty good in her crate but I wil not crate her unless we are home or if we are eating.. Other then that she is a very very hyper puppy and needs to run around alot..

Now that you mention crate training tho.. I do have a question.. She goes to bed and sleeps like a good girl, but wakes up around 3am every morning.. Not to go out but wants to lay in bed with us.. My husband does not want her in our bed.. Any suggestions?

W

whatszmatter

we raise working dogs, I know hyper puppies, if you don't want stuff destroyed in your home or chewed or towels, bed spreads, phones etc chewed up, then you MUST WATCH your puppy at ALL times or put it in a crate. There is no magic solution.

When you are home is when she should be out of her crate, cause you can watch her. If you're going to leave her to her own devices when you're gone with full run of the house, and then crate her when you get home?????? I don't get it? She'll have free reign to destroy your house and when you should be training and bonding you're crating her?

As long as you're waking up at 3 am and letting her in bed even once or twice be ready to wake up at 3 am for quite some time now. She's going to whine and whine to get out, cause its worked before. Puppies do not come out of the crate for anything when they are whining except to go to the bathroom, then its quick our, and quick back in. Otherwise they have to be quiet to get out, unless you want to reward whining and barking and listen to that for the rest of your's and your dogs life.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
It's normal for puppies to want to run around and exercise. If she needs to run around a lot, let her run around outside, preferably so she's good and tired. She doesn't need to run around the house. I think you need to do just the opposite...that is, crate her when you are gone and supervise her when you are home. Give her her own toys and don't let her use your essentials as toys. Sometimes that means Puppy Proofing to keep both your things and the puppy safe. Crating her at night will keep her out of the bed and she won't be learning that it's ok to pester you at 3 AM for the next ten years or so:p . Puppies are like little kids, except you won't have to pay for their college education later. If you leave them to their own devices, just like toddlers they will make bad or even dangerous choices sooner or later.

mamasobuco

Here are a few suggestions:

-Crate her more often and only let her out when you can supervise her play
-Baby gate her in the room you're in when she is not crated
-Tie her to you. Yes, to you so that you can correct her (favorably by giving her something she can chew) when she grabs something she's not supposed to.
-Close all doors that have ANYTHING in it she shouldn't get her mouth on. We still have to keep doors closed to keep our basenji out of certain areas.
-Spend more time teaching her things to establish easy eye contact with her

I hope some of this helps. Raising puppies isn't easy but if you put your heart into it, it may very well be the most challenging, rewarding and fun thing you've ever done. :D
Good Luck!

R

RedyreRottweilers

I would worry more about the puppy harming herself by chewing or getting into something she should not.

This is a self rewarding behavior. Every time you let it happen it is more likely to happen again.

Use the crate.

Not much left to say on this topic - I think it's been covered. I agree - ya' gotta use the crate even if you leave to pee!!

If you let the pup in your bed, it'll be hard to get it out. I went through this with each of my children (3 - you think I woulda learned after 1). Your pup may fuss for a few nights but will eventually get the picture.

BE FIRM -

Olivia

My Isabella an Australian Terrier is very hyper always on the go. I have crate trained her, never speak to her in her crate or allow anyone else to otherwise she will always want to come out. I also have a playpen, large one that I can make any size. You can put them in front of doorways or give her a large area to play in in the middle of the room. I find it is really good to have somewhere other than her crate which I keep for sleep times and she does know the difference now. When you have not time for your Bella because you are busy you can confine her but do not give in to her whinning otherwise you will have a whinning dog for the rest of her life.Also you cannot let her get away with anything at this stage you are making a rod for your own back if you do.Plenty of loves and cuddles when she is behaving and distraction is a good thing when possible when she is being naughty( well she is not really being naughty she is a puppy and everything is so exciting for her.) Now I have got to the stage that I only have to say NO or grrr and she stops what she is doing. Puppies can get confused so easily if we do not stick to the rules we have made, and in the end the puppy and your family are a much better unit. Good luck hope it all gets sorted Bye

I agree

I agree with what the others have said. She needs to be crated unless you are out with her and she is in sight...at least at this stage of the game. Even if you go to the bathroom she either has to come with you or she gets put in the crate. Eventually as she gets older you will know with how much freedome to trust her with. I also agree about the baby gates and the closing of doors to other rooms. Wrigley is only allowed in the living room pretty much except when we are in the bedroom getting ready or something then he must come in there with us.

Don't give in and let her sleep with you if your husband doesn't want her there in bed. Let her cry--eventually she will give it up and realize no one is going to come and sooth her or get her out.

If you are worried about her energy and exercise--make sure you get plenty of walks and play time during the day--then she will be fine in her crate.

Members online

No members online now.