Nosework?

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
So I have this dumb puppy that sniffs everything so much that I swear shes a hound dog in disguise. VERY curious, nosy, into everything, thinks she should be able to check out everything she wants, and very nasally oriented. Im thinking tracking or something might be nice but Im physically lazy (which is why I got a lazy breed. Where the hell did this demon high energy thing come from?!) so then Im thinking nosework is less physically demanding on me, yes? How would I get her started in that?

adojrts

Yes, nosework/scent detection is less physically demanding for the dog and handler. Which makes it an excellent choice for those that don't want to or can't do some of the other sports while still giving their dog a job and training. I put sniffing on cue in my basic puppy and family dog obedience classes because it is one of the 4 major compliants from dog owners, pulling, jumping up, no recall, sniffing :)

Just check your local training facilities, nosework has become very popular and a lot of places are offering it now.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
There is nothing physically demanding about nosework at all for the handler. Scent detection is a pretty simple thing to teach in my experience and is a great way to give the dog something to do. My two love it, although I think Mia loves it a little bit more. It's a great outlet for the dog.

A dog sniffing isn't a dumb dog at all. ;) It's instinct and it can be really cool to watch a dog start being able to really find and follow scents.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
definitely teasing. Tori is smart as a whip and drives me nuts because I dont like smart drivey dogs with energy that want a job. Im gonna try my gosh darned best for her tho :(

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Oh, it's always hard to tell online.

How I started both of mine was to do container searches with food. We'd start with a room full of open boxes (maybe 10?). Food in one of them and would keep it just to that box. The dogs would start on leash and when they find the one with food, the handler would reward. I added search words pretty quick and after a couple sessions, moved off leash.

After that we'd move to more objects and start introducing the hides on walls, etc. Then move to outside and do some searches there, on vehicles, etc.

Once they had that down (about 6 weeks for us though I hear some people keep dogs on just food a lot longer), we'd start pairing food and odor. Then just odor and making it more difficult, widening the search area, etc. I'm working on a more defined 'tell' for Mia now.

^condensed version

Mia loves it and Summer thinks the game is fun too. Mia though... it is really a great thing for her.

adojrts

I started my folks off pairing scent and reward also taught an indicator (sit typically) from the first night. After eight weeks of class we had a little test :) Blind hide for a room search with just scent, every dog passed. Love watching how fast they understand it.

Members online