Update: Your help helped! I am an idiot!

:eek: Ok, yes.. I said it first! I won't make everyone scroll back through posts on this topic.. but I DID have a growling, non sleeping, hyper, non-loving dog. Today I don't.. and I thank all of you for the help.

Problem one: food guarding dog.. solved..

told you I was an idiot! Seems.. when we got Bernie.. he was an infant.. and didn't play tug with anything. In fact he's still got Mooey the cow he came home with, and still carries around.. poor stuffy is.. crunchy.. but in one piece. As Bernie got older.. he grabbed a sock.. instant tug toy. (he's only ever been allowed the one sock, and he now has other tug ropes etc). Today as I was going to pick up the slimey, icky dog food bowl after his breakfast, I hear a growl and a pounce on my hand. Guess who thinks more than socks are tug toys??? Took the rubber skid thing off the bowl, and presto, not a sound as I took all sorts of things out of his bowl while he ate. Put greenie into dish, he took it, and again allowed me to take it from him while he sat beagleeyed waiting.. ok.. we haven't tried bones yet.. but I am stupidly impressed. I didn't realize that no matter what he has, he now thinks we're tugofwarring.. gone are the tug toys for now til he gets a little more.. dumb like me.. lol (NO we never ever played tug with his food dish.. don't get me wrong)

2. Non sleeping.. solved..

Moved crate to quiet space as was suggested by OC Spirit! Silence.. apparently is needed for a non speaking hardly barking.. quiet kinda guy.. lol Slept 16 hrs yesterday, and 15 today.. much better than 10.. can ya hear me smiling.. lol

3. Non loving.. yes you were ALL right..

some dogs don't love the same we expect.. and Bernie is one of them.. Butttt... with me waiting for him to come to me, and not interceding with offering, giving, playing.. he brings ME things to play with.. well today anyways.. and rounding up the cats isn't the most loving thing he could do.. but heck.. he'll learn the hard way!

4. Hyperdog..
seems this is called puppyhood, and too much peanut butter in his kong (1 tbsp usually) Didn't really think about the type of peanut butter, but it seems that the organic natural, just crunchy peanut butter with nothing.. sticks to the roof of the mouth better lol...and doesn't zing him up so much. He wasn't getting a lot of kongs?? lol.. per day.. but sometimes 2, and 3 days ago he had 3... and was a pardon the pun.. nutcase. I've also not added the left over carrots or potatoes or other "sweet" things, and just added some canned wetfood, crunchies, and some real peanutbutter... and he's suddenly calmer after his treats!

Now.. I can't say I'll never have another problem, but I do thank you all for being there when I was at the end of MY leash.. lol

To the two people that thought it was necessary to privately email me, and flame me for being a bad owner for not knowing what I was getting myself into, please feel free to contact me here on the boards, and take your issues with me public. Hiding in a mailbox, hurts me, and I won't hesitate to post your names and emails publicly next time you decide I am a horrendous person.

Again to all, thank you :hail: Kym, and a calmer Bernie! :)

Paige

Let it be
Someone flamed you? I read your post. Though I lack the experience to give you good solid advice I understand what you were/are going through perfectly. I had the same/similar issues with my Bandit. That is not deserving of being flamed. We all have to start our learning somewhere. Not all of us are instant dog gurus. I know I wasn't 100% prepared for my dogs but so long as we are willing to learn and make it work and give it an honest effort, admit our short comings and seek the help that we need then I don't think we deserve to be looked down on at all.

noludoru

Bored Now.
To the two people that thought it was necessary to privately email me, and flame me for being a bad owner for not knowing what I was getting myself into, please feel free to contact me here on the boards, and take your issues with me public. Hiding in a mailbox, hurts me, and I won't hesitate to post your names and emails publicly next time you decide I am a horrendous person.
Good god. FOR THE LOVE OF DUCKS, PEOPLE!!!!! She had the intelligence and love for her dog to ask for help. It's what I'd do, and hopefully what you'd do. Stop giving people crap for asking for help and then following through with the help given to them.

Pandemonium, frankly I think if you did go ahead and post their names and emails (how on earth did people get your e-mail, anyhow? I don't see it in your profile) it would be more than justified. I'd add the text of what they said as well. Frankly, e-mailing you just to flame you counts as harassment, and they should be publicly flogged for it. Er.. verbally that is. ;)

I'm so glad things are going better for you two!

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Good god. FOR THE LOVE OF DUCKS, PEOPLE!!!!! She had the intelligence and love for her dog to ask for help. It's what I'd do, and hopefully what you'd do. Stop giving people crap for asking for help and then following through with the help given to them.

Pandemonium, frankly I think if you did go ahead and post their names and emails (how on earth did people get your e-mail, anyhow? I don't see it in your profile) it would be more than justified. I'd add the text of what they said as well. Frankly, e-mailing you just to flame you counts as harassment, and they should be publicly flogged for it. Er.. verbally that is. ;)

OMG... I didnt even see that part...

but I agree...

I won't give too much credence to the two emailers that thought I needed to be informed of how useless I am as a dog owner/adopter. I've had dogs all of my life, but this is the first puppy I've had that needed manners, and needed to be taught road rules etc, as I grew up in the country, and our dogs.. were DOGS lol.. leashes? what were they? Dog's stayed in the mudroom overnight or out in the dog house.. no housebreaking (or 8ft snowbanks either lol).

I digress.. yes, I'd say flamed, but I also say I am not too worried that a very laidback, intelligent, puppy has his forever home, and we're learning together. :)

PS I did have my address in my profile for some dumb reason. It's gone now I think. Thank you Noludoru, Jess and Paige.. it all helps :) The two people that emailed.. I did a search on, and one is controversial to say the most, and one has never posted that I can see.. ah well.. it's over and done.. People hugs, and beagle kisses :)

Paige

Let it be
I went through the same thing. When I got the boys I was with my mom in the country. They didn't see a leash until nearly a year old. Oh boy that was fun!

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
If ANY member(s) is/are harassing you, please report it to a mod. That's what we are here for.

On another note, I'm glad people were able to help. Good luck to you! :)

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Can you PM me with who? I'm actually really curious now.
Nolu, I really don't think this is necessary. We don't want to spread any forum "gossip" by any means. I've already told the OP that they can report the abuse of the forums to a mod. Let the mods take care of it. :)

ACooper

Glad you found some help and things are getting better :)

Moved crate to quiet space as was suggested by OC Spirit! Silence.. apparently is needed for a non speaking hardly barking.. quiet kinda guy.. lol Slept 16 hrs yesterday, and 15 today.. much better than 10.. can ya hear me smiling.. lol
Did he sleep 15-16 hours STRAIGHT in a row? :eek: That sounds like an awful lot to me, for a pup especially.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Did he sleep 15-16 hours STRAIGHT in a row? :eek: That sounds like an awful lot to me, for a pup especially.
Yea, but just think about all the sleep he had to catch up on...;)

Glad to hear things are better with the pup, keep up the good work!! Sometimes ya just need to vent and catch your breath and regroup. We're happy to help.

ACooper

Yea, but just think about all the sleep he had to catch up on...;)

Glad to hear things are better with the pup, keep up the good work!! Sometimes ya just need to vent and catch your breath and regroup. We're happy to help.
Oh I didn't mean anything derogatory by it, I was just SHOCKED that a young dog WOULD sleep that long! :lol-sign:

Orson loves his sleep, but I don't think even HE sleeps in that late! LOL

NOOOOO..not 16 hrs straight.. 16 hrs of 24... 8 over night, and then spread the remaining 16 over the rest of the day.. he also seemed to have grown 2 inches in a day as well... so maybe the ratty, chompy, cranky dog I had was just having a growth spurt... so no.. even hubby couldn't sleep 16 hrs straight.. and he tries!!! lol.. Ty, Kym :)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier

^^^^^^^you rock ...and congrats on the solutions working for your dog...that is what this place is suppose to be for. :hail: to those that offered up ideas.

Members online

No members online now.