Vibes for Blue

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
I've never actually met Blue, but he is my parent's neighbor's 12 year old standard poodle (they got him after I moved out). But I've been paying close attention to his disappearence, both because I just care about dogs and because my mom become emotionally involved (having a dog recently, and having years ago, one disappear at the farm)

Blue disappeared on Monday (this is a rural area and he'd been let out to run around.). When he did not come back that night, it was feared that he'd been killed by coyotes, or that he'd fallen from a cliff and broken his neck. Yesterday, my mother was out looking for mushrooms and any sign of Blue with her poodle, up and the boundary of Blue's owners' property and another farm.

She smelled something terrible coming from a sinkhole. Thinking she'd found Blue, she went to check . . and found a very dead cow and a very elderly poodle, up to his shoulder's in mud and looking up at her sadly.
To make a long story short, it took both my parents, Blue's owners, six firemen, and the owner of the deceased cow, but they got Blue out of the hole. Dehydrated and going into shock from the decompression, he was rushed to the vet, where he was going ok as of last night.

But he's a very old fellow . . . could I get get some vibes for him?

Edit: I left out Blue's owners' handyman among the people it took to rescue Blue. It was quite a production.

Last edited:

ACooper

You can get a ton of vibes for him, and I'm throwing in some prayers too :)

Wow what a sad story... why were they letting him roam and not looking for him everywhere? Im so sad to hear he was stuck in mud for that long.

Prayers and wishes getting sent to baby blue, hope he is ok :(

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Wow what a sad story... why were they letting him roam and not looking for him everywhere? Im so sad to hear he was stuck in mud for that long.

Prayers and wishes getting sent to baby blue, hope he is ok :(
To the extent that I know, they were looking for him everywhere. Mom says that where he was found was very hard to get to . . . and considering I lived there for about 8 years and never wandered into that area (I can visualize where it is, but I never went up there) I'm sure she's right. We're talking about hundreds of acres that he could have disappeared onto, much of it rugged and littered with sinkholes. Also, his owners are about ten years older than my parents, who are in their sixties. It was luck that Mom found him; luck and the fact that she is a self-employed silversmith, so she had been crisscrossing the landscape all week looking for mushrooms and Blue.

As for why they let him roam . . . don't ask me. All of the dogs up there are off-leash all the time (it is, as I said, rural). But most of them are supervised off leash (as my parents' are) not allowed to run around loose. And considering that there are coyotes everywhere and several dogs HAVE disappeared in the past few years (Mom's dog that disppeared out there did 23 years go, but there have been others more recently), I have no idea why they let him roam. Mom had warned them about the risks . . . But honestly, I don't know if they were letting him roam this time or if he ran off after deer, or what happened. I haven't seen this couple in . . . 17 years.

Edit: Also, according to the cow's owner, this sinkhole was new. As dramatic as it sounds, the consensus is that it probably opened right under that poor cow last weekend or Monday. So no one knew to look in that particular hole . . . People were checking the sinkholes they knew about . . . Dad had a spaniel fall in one a couple years back (spaniel was fine).

ACooper

When I lived in AZ as a kid/teen, we made the term 'boonies' look over populated, LOL Our house was a mile from any paved road, and there was literally nothing for miles. Our dogs roamed wherever they liked, guarded the property, got rid of coyotes, etc It never crossed our minds to confine them, we never lost one (thankfully) and they were quite happy..........a different time and place *shrugs*

Snark

Mutts to you
Sending vibes, poor old boy... and poor cow...

Around here, dogs are more likely to disappear from 'bunchers' and I think I'm still one of the few on my road to keep their dogs contained in a fenced area.

Poor guy! It's lucky that your mother found him. He must have been so happy to see his people!

We had a dog take a tumble off a ridge once when we were hunting pigs. Even though we knew the general area it took us almost 16 hours to locate her (she busted a leg but was otherwise fine...she is a yella dog after all!). It's so hard when you have a wide area to cover.

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
Awww, poor old man!!! I am So glad your mom found him alive, and that they were able to get him out! I can imagine the relief He felt when he was found and helped! Sending good thoughts!! Please keep us updated!

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Update: Blue is still at the vet in critical condition. His mom is spending the day there with him. They did an EKG and his heart is stressed.

I'll keep you all posted when I hear more.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Update: He's not out of the woods by any means, but Blue is definitely conscious and aware. He eagerly swallowed a syringe of water (so he can swallow, he's been getting fluids by IV). He stood a short while yesterday, and longer today. His mom is taking him a home cooked meal;he's not used to kibble.

That's all the news that I've gotten . . . but its good news!

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
I bet his heart is stressed!! Glad he seems to be doing a little better though! Thanks for the updates.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
So glad to see a good update :) Hope he continues to pull through -- definitely sounds like his owners are putting their all into getting him better :)

Doberluv

OMG! What a scary situation. I'm pulling for him with all my heart, poor old fella. I sure hope he pulls through. The latest update sounds promising. Lots of vibes headed his way. What a freak accident!

Members online

No members online now.