New puppy :)

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Dogs are very adaptable, I know sometimes it truly is just a BAD FIT and rehoming is the best option.. but MANY MANY times, it is a matter of adjustment, training or just small fixes.

Just to be clear,I have NO problem with people rehoming dogs into good homes..
It takes a lot of heart to really look at the dog you love and realize they aren't as happy as they could be and want what is best for them, even if it means the painful decision to rehome.

..I think the sore spot/issue here is sheer numbers of times this seems to have occurred.. especially from breeder pups (who would have had secure homes somewhere else/where the breeder assumes that they are selling a puppy to a person as a PERMANENT home )
not to mention the bounce back rates between rehoming/buying new dogs being described here.

I don't know the situation in specifics, and as somebody that has rehomed a dog before, I know how hard it is and sometimes situations are hard to talk about/describe over the internet

but either way, I really do hope this little guy has a forever home.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
It takes a ton moreheart and *work* to make it work, I speak from experience. My entire pay check is working with people trying to figure out how to best work things out so they don't feel trapped and the need to rehome because they couldn't figure out how to best fit with their dogs that they just had to have.

Dogs are adaptable but dogs, like humans, have attachments and removing them from such leaves marks.

No one is debating the act of rehoming, more so the frequency and overt ease of it.

Grab

It does seem a lot of rehomings..dogs can adapt, yes, but asking them to do so all willy nilly seems an injustice to me *shrugs*

I am not on whatever the other forum is, so I have no idea if that is correct information, but if it is true that a dog ate poison while you were, indeed, at home, letting the pup "go at home" rather than making a vet trip, is horribly inhumane. Some toxins can have effects lessened through vomiting and some charcoal. At the least, there is the humane euthanasia option. Horrible.

I thought you owned two Salukis? (an adult and a puppy?) But perhaps I am thinking of someone else.

This pup is adorable, and I do hope he has a permanent home or can make a trip back to the breeder so that he can end up in one

Teal

...ice road...
Adrianne - I appreciate your now seemingly willing attitude to actually understand things as they are, and not the twisted views someone else has put onto them.
In regards to Polaris getting poisoned - I won't go into too much detail, because it's definitely not pleasant... but originally, I thought he had ingested poison while I was sleeping the morning after getting home late from a weekend trip - because no one told me until some time after that he had gotten "into stuff" in the garage while I was gone. He was sluggish when I went to take a shower, but not so much so that it raised an immediate red flag. When I was all through getting ready (about an hour later), he was unresponsive. I did contact my vet at that point, and she believed that - based on the details of his condition - he likely wasn't to survive the amount of time it would take the vet and I to reach each other (it was a Sunday and they were closed - if we met at the clinic, it would be at least 30 minutes drive time for me [and yes, that's the closest vet]... if she came straight to my house from hers, it would have been closer to 45 minutes). And she was right... he passed a few minutes later. In retrospect, I should have had a necropsy done to determine the exact cause of death... but at the time, I just got on the backhoe and dug a hole :( I've never had a dog pass like that... it didn't occur to me to investigate it until much later :(

As I said - yes, I did take on more dogs than I should have. Some were dumped on me by friends needing help, and some I made the decision to bring in from shelters. Yes, I understand dogs make attachments to people (and other dogs) and that rehoming can be stressful... but each dog I've placed has gone to a BETTER home than I could provide that particular dog, and whatever stress was incurred during that process was not enough to negate the positive effects of the new home. I have only ever returned TWO puppies acquired from breeders - one was several years ago, a Saluki who didn't like me and despite my attempts at bonding/earning his trust it never worked. I get to see him on a regular basis, and he's still a weird dog towards me... but he bonded SO intensely with the woman he was placed with after I returned him, it's very clear they were the proper match. The second was the Fila puppy, which I think I've adamantly described the situation for. And it honestly broke my heart to make the decision to return him, after months of trying everything everyone suggested to make it work... I know how much that little dog was bonded to me, and I felt like such a worthless person because I couldn't make it work :( I DO come off as callous and cold hearted... but I truly care about each dog. If I didn't care about them, I WOULD keep them here and "make it work" - I have plenty of property, no problem feeding a lot of dogs, training/exercising/etc. but when I take in a dog who is being abandoned, or is at a shelter... I want them to have the BEST life, not just ANY life. And for the dogs I rehomed, living with me would be just ANY life... and they deserve better than that. I believe that when someone gets a dog, there should be that undeniable "This is MY dog" feeling... that your life is suddenly somehow more complete than it was before that dog entered it, and that you could not imagine life without that dog now that he/she is with you. Being young, eager, and a bit overzealous - I think I was searching too hard for that. I was too quick to blur the lines between "This is MY dog" and "This dog is now in my home, but I don't know if it's MY dog" with every dog I encountered, which can easily lead to confusion (and did). I've learned A LOT over the years! And at the end of the day, I know that every dog that came through my home now is enjoying their "dream" life with their very own family... and that I've learned what works for me when it comes to acquiring new dogs (most importantly, when NOT to!), so that I don't encounter the past issues I've dealt with that are now being twisted around to tarnish my name. Sorry for the mini-novel... but eventually it gets hurtful when people keep hurling the same accusations at you and refuse to see your side of the situation. And to anyone who doubts that I've learned lessons and am not the overzealous "follow my heart and not my mind" person I used to be - that's fine, you don't have to take my word for it. Because actions speak louder than words... and my future actions will more than prove that what I'm saying is true.

Grab - I co-own a Saluki pup who lives with his co-owner. I'm basically on the papers so I can show and hunt him when he's old enough. A friend who owns my Saluki's brother got him, and asked if I wanted to co-own him - I had no part in the planning/acquiring of him (well, I did go with to pick him up from the airport LOL). In the Saluki word, nearly every dog is co-owned... it's a tight-knit community, and people often hunt/show dogs that live with someone else, so their names get put on the papers to ease the process of entries :)

I'm glad everything seems to have been straightned out,well for me it has at least.I don't think it's up to me to judge what you do,it sounds like all your dogs(permenant or non permenant...or unknown)get to have a good time when they are in your care.
I hope you didn't feel like you had to answer to some random person off the internet,but it's actually been really intresting to read about your life!
Anyway,good luck with your pup!Hope he enjoyed his first christmas!

Teal

...ice road...
I'm glad everything seems to have been straightned out,well for me it has at least.I don't think it's up to me to judge what you do,it sounds like all your dogs(permenant or non permenant...or unknown)get to have a good time when they are in your care.
I hope you didn't feel like you had to answer to some random person off the internet,but it's actually been really intresting to read about your life!
Anyway,good luck with your pup!Hope he enjoyed his first christmas!

Thank you for your congeniality.. I appreciate it! I am a very open, straight forward person with nothing to hide... I don't ever mind answering questions or explaining anything, when it is asked politely. I DO have a problem with rude accusations and personal slander being flung at me, especially because of my aforementioned traits. Which is why I ignored Courtney's bantering, and only addressed those of you who probably have never heard of me before I came on this board and who asked questions politely!

I am not much of a bully-type person, but that is one cute puppy. :)

Thank you :)

Members online

No members online now.