This is illegal

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Morons, every last one of them. How can they NOT see this as illegal?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Because we're suffering a rapid retreat into the dark ages. This, the church that banned an interracial couple from attending (and any others) and any number of new "laws" shows that the pendulum is increasingly swinging back towards outright idiocy and bigotry.

Maybe we should let the South secede this time. Most of these stories seem to be coming from south of the Mason-Dixie line. :p

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Because we're suffering a rapid retreat into the dark ages. This, the church that banned an interracial couple from attending (and any others) and any number of new "laws" shows that the pendulum is increasingly swinging back towards outright idiocy and bigotry.
You're talking about this, right?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/kentucky-church-bans-interracial-marriage-150009470.html

I just read that this afternoon. The irony that the name of the church is "Freewill Baptist" is not lost on me. They are, of course, free to make their own membership rules, but what they are doing is just not Biblical. If my church told me that I couldn't be a member or participate because of who I'm married to, I'd find a new church. As it stands, there is some tension because my wife doesn't currently qualify for membership because her Baptism was as an infant and not by immersion. We are working on that bylaw change, though, rather than being mired in the 12th century.

These kooks and the Fred Phelps cult people really do nothing but harm by spreading their hatred and bigotry. The fact that they chose the term "Baptist" to name their "church" drives those of us who are Baptists. :wall:

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Yeah. Though I do like that it gave the opportunity for this line to happen:
And Stella's father was much more forceful in his denunciation of the interracial ban. "It sure ain't Christian," Dean Harville said. "It ain't nothing but the old devil working."

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Yeah. Though I do like that it gave the opportunity for this line to happen:

And Stella's father was much more forceful in his denunciation of the interracial ban. "It sure ain't Christian," Dean Harville said. "It ain't nothing but the old devil working."
Yup. He hit it right on the head. And the church recommendation saying (emphasis mine),

That the Gulnare Freewill Baptist Church does not condone interracial marriage. Parties of such marriages will not be received as members, nor will they be used in worship services and other church functions, with the exception being funerals. All are welcome to our public worship services. This recommendation is not intended to judge the salvation of anyone, but is intended to promote greater unity among the church body and the community we serve.
HOW, pray tell, can you promote "unity" by practicing exclusion?

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Yup. He hit it right on the head. And the church recommendation saying (emphasis mine),

HOW, pray tell, can you promote "unity" by practicing exclusion?
Oh, simple. You "unify" with the people who are like you . . . against everyone else.

As for FL, I'm sure they know its illegal. They simply don't care. They are making a grand gesture by demonstrating their hatred of "illegals". They are also getting a chance to stick it to people that they view as just as illegal as their parents, regardless of their actual status as lifelong citizens. They will screw up lives with this, and that is absolutely peachy with them.

Once it gets knocked down, they can complain about the tyranny of the courts and the federal government, for not letting them punish brown people with funny names for who their parents are, and that will make them REALLY happy.

Members online

No members online now.