Vets pushing to breed

I'm happy with my vet he is a nice person is a lot better that the ones who treated my previous dogs.

I remember the first time I took him there, the vet was surprised to see his color (red) and said he didn't knew poodles came in this color and that he is going to be highly desired as a stud because of his rare color.

However I took him yesterday since he got a small case of ear mites, after adding the medicine he asked how older Pompadour is wish I said 15 months and he asked if I wanted to breed him

But he is still a puppy and no testing :mad: yet I think someone of his clients asked for stud, beacause of what he told me in the first visit.

I remember when we had Oso (husky/GSD mix) a vet asked us if we wanted to add him in a "stud looks for girlfriend list" :mad:

Well I told my vet that "no breeding him now he still need to finish his career, and if he is bred it would be only to a show female and to compatible colors" and explained how all his family tree are reds and apricots no white dogs to prevent patches or fading.

I didn´t liked his comment, I'm not going to turn into a "rare color" BYB mostly when the mayority of the BYB and mill poodles here are mixed , but he did respected why I don't want to breed him .

Around here there´s the myth that you HAVE to breed your dog or cat when it gets to one year of age or it would die of cancer/ sadness/ get traumatized if you don't :( and vets insist on this.

mom2dogs

Maybe it's different in other countries? Here in the states most of the ones I have been to/met really pushed altering. I am sure they are out there, just haven't come across one (also when I lived in the Netherlands). . . that's terrible.

I was even "fired" by a vet because she was so pro-rescue (going as far as to say she doesn't support "pedigrees"), s/n, she refused to see me :rolleyes:

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
^^ I got a donation turned down by a rescue because I am a "breeder".

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
One of my vets here really pushes s/n. I think the first time we were there for Quinn's first shots she was asking us when we were planning to spay, and she's asked us every visit since. It's really irritating and she looks at us like we're going to let her have like 12 accidental litters if we chose to wait to spay, LOL.

Our other vet doesn't even mention it, but we've also known her for 25 years not just as a vet, but a friend and a barn owner. She might be different with new people. She's also bred in the past (Swedish Vallhunds), so that's probably part of it.

I can't say I've ever heard of a vet actually encouraging breeding though - it might be a region/country difference?

JessLough

Love My Mutt
One of my vets here really pushes s/n. I think the first time we were there for Quinn's first shots she was asking us when we were planning to spay, and she's asked us every visit since. It's really irritating and she looks at us like we're going to let her have like 12 accidental litters if we chose to wait to spay, LOL.
Really? I am just curious cause we are in the same province, but how long have you been using that vet for?

I have *never* had my vet push s/n or push breeding to me. Although, that could be simply that I have used this vet for the last 14+ years, so she knows me more than most people's vets really know them, n a sense where she has really watched me grow up.

Dekka

Just try me..
Many vets in Ontario do push s/n very hard. Just because yours doesn't shouldn't make it surprising when its come up on chaz before and Ontarians have mentioned their vets push s/n.

Luckily mine hasn't.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I was pushed from the time Smudge was 5 months old. Every visit no matter what it was for. So can we make that neuter appointment now. No I told you I show conformation. I need him intact. They'd reply with okay maybe next time. I was harassed about it in three different vets offices. They do push s/n hard in Ontario.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I was pushed from the time Smudge was 5 months old. Every visit no matter what it was for. So can we make that neuter appointment now. No I told you I show conformation. I need him intact. They'd reply with okay maybe next time. I was harassed about it in three different vets offices. They do push s/n hard in Ontario.
Must be where I am. I deal with 5 different vet offices in the city, and none of them push s/n, and they all push waiting until the dog is grown to s/n. Generally if somebody goes in wondering about s/n but are not sure, they are sent home with information about the pros and cons of both sides, to make their decision. Also, as vet techs you are taught the pros and cons and are taught how to help the owner make an informed decision.

Dekka

Just try me..
What vet tech program is that? So far anyone I know who has taken vet tech recently has been taught all the benefits of s/n and very little of the dangers.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
It's definitely pushed pretty hard, which is both good and bad, really.

My vet at my old clinic asked once, and was okay with me waiting until just over a year. She did really push the "omg careful anywhere offleash, unattended around female dogs, don't always trust that the owner says they're spayed" etc etc. Making sure I understood how to keep him safe from breeding, haha.

She didn't bother me about it again until his 4-month visit when we found out about his one testicle being all cryptorchid and stuff. Even then, she was willing to let me wait longer if I wanted and explained the risks, pros/cons etc. But I know others who have been to the same clinic as me, and have had other vet there push the s/n (it's a pretty large practice).

(My vet there was a reputable sheltie breeder, so I'm not surprised she understood benefits of a later s/n.)

Sapphire-Light, sucks that the vets in your area are like that. :( I'm sure it gos without saying, but don't listen to them. You know better. :)

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
The vet we use is holistic, and they never push spay/neuter.

When we first brought Tucker in (he was 12 weeks old I think) they asked if it was something we were interested in. We explained that he was being shown and if things didn't work out he would eventually be neutered. All of the techs we've spoken with as well as the vets believe in waiting to spay/neuter until dogs are full grown. They also "push" raw diets and holistic brands of food, limited vaccine schedules, etc... so I always feel very comfortable with them.

Same with Emma. She was initially my show prospect and I told them when she was 5 months old that she wasn't going to be spayed unless she wasn't shown. No mention of spaying was made until she was almost a year old and we scheduled the appointment.

Dekka

Just try me..
Oh I do have a pushy s/n in Ontario story. Toby (one of my first JRTs) I got from a woman who had gotten him as a puppy and was in waaayyy over hear head when he was 3 months old. He had a retained testicle at that time. The vet had told the owner she NEEDED to fix him ASAP because of it. I took him to the same vet (as they already knew him) they pushed SOOOO hard. Fixing a cryptic dog is much more $$$ and more risky so I told them I would wait for maturity to see if it showed up.

They swore up and down that he NEEDED to be fixed now, and that there was zero chance of it showing up. (hmm that was not what my research showed me) So I left him. The ball showed up at about 10 months and I left that vet.

As far as I can tell there was no health risk leaving him till a year or two to see if it showed up. But they acted like I was the most horrific pet owner in the city for not putting him under the knife ASAP.

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
I've shopped around and settled on a nice clinic, with several vets who all share the same philosophy. Is the puppy neutered? No. Are you planning to breed her? Yes, after she's titled and tested. OK, we look forward to watching her grow up. And I never hear about it again. It's kind of refreshing because I've been to several clinics where I was asked at every visit (usually at annual exam, but even got 'reminder cards' in the mail too...).

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Mine always ask. When will you be ready to neuter? Not planning on it. When will you want to breed then?

Usually it's the Vet techs who ask the same questions... my vet is pretty good about letting me do what I want with minimal commentary.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Oh I do have a pushy s/n in Ontario story. Toby (one of my first JRTs) I got from a woman who had gotten him as a puppy and was in waaayyy over hear head when he was 3 months old. He had a retained testicle at that time. The vet had told the owner she NEEDED to fix him ASAP because of it. I took him to the same vet (as they already knew him) they pushed SOOOO hard. Fixing a cryptic dog is much more $$$ and more risky so I told them I would wait for maturity to see if it showed up.

They swore up and down that he NEEDED to be fixed now, and that there was zero chance of it showing up. (hmm that was not what my research showed me) So I left him. The ball showed up at about 10 months and I left that vet.

As far as I can tell there was no health risk leaving him till a year or two to see if it showed up. But they acted like I was the most horrific pet owner in the city for not putting him under the knife ASAP.
According to my vet when we were discussing options, there's a lot of myth surrounding crypt even in the vet field still. She felt there was some risk in leaving it be, but that ultimately the decision was up to me.

I don't know enough about it to make an informed opinion, even now after researching it a decent deal, but yeah, pushing it that heavily as in your story is kind of nuts for something like crypt. Usually the ball just drops, eventually :p

Dekka

Just try me..
Mine always ask. When will you be ready to neuter? Not planning on it. When will you want to breed then?

Usually it's the Vet techs who ask the same questions... my vet is pretty good about letting me do what I want with minimal commentary.
IME its vet techs too. My vet NEVER gives me a hard time. The few times they hired a new tech I would always be questioned.

Allie>> His lost ball wasn't that far in, it could easily be palpated from where it should be.

I get harased every time I go.

Blaze is 7, I see no point.

Solo will be, soon. But they tell me every time Im in, send reminder cards. its very annoying

mrose_s

BusterLove
Thast sad.
Vets here are the opposite, I've had to tell them so many times NO I am not breeding but puppies don't grow in the uterus on their own and I don't NEED to desex her.

Members online

No members online now.