Renee - Filas and Kids?

Cheza

2 questions....

Filas are good with "family" kids? As in children that live in the same household as the fila.

What about if say... you are out at a park and a child comes running up to the dog? How do you think they would react?

Thanks!

(failing miserably at convincing myself to not get a fila)

Kharma braces herself and looks at me with her "make them go away, please" face. Then she tolerates while I explain to the kid(s) that they should never run up to any dog. She puts up with it, unless there's one being obnoxious, and in that case she gets behind me and refuses to deal with them -- and I get her out of there.

Mostly, it's knowing your dog and doing your socialization and letting your dog develop confidence while they are learning what's acceptable behavior -- from people and themselves.

Frankly, I have more faith in Kharma's dealing with kids than with many dogs who LIKE children. Kharma doesn't have any particular fondness for small kids, but that's an individual thing. I've seen Filas who were totally gaga over little kids. Truthfully, her attitude to little kids is pretty much a magnification of my own. We both like kids a whole lot more about the time they hit adolescence -- when no one else can stand them ;)

Cheza

Awesome thanks, that was Rob's question when I was trying to explain to him exactly how a fila "is", probably somewhat unsuccessfully.

We want kids in the future, and he wanted to make sure that if we were on a walk and a little kid ran up, that it wouldn't end poorly if we couldn't step in before the kid ran into the dog.

Cheza

Ohhh I'm sure haha. I'm not adamant either way - if it works out that we have kids great, if not, that's great too, but I wanted to be extra sure that the two will mix properly :D

bubbatd

I understand the OP !!! We got a dog before we had kids and I made sure I got a kid friendly dog !!! It would have killed me to have to rehome my " First 4 legged kid " !!!

filarotten

Fila the love
I have to say Brutus absolutely loves McKinley (our granddaughter), and he is good with other kids. He really likes the small ones. I think that is because he was raised around McKinley she was about 1 1/2 when we got him. He fell in love with her immediately. The two of them were pretty much inseperable whenever she was with us. Her bff used to come over occasionally and go swimming with her, he liked her also.

I taught him to be "easy" when he was around her so he wouldn't knock her over or scratch her. He learned to sit before he learned to lie down so I had him sit whenever she was near him. McKinley was also taught to not poke him in the eyes, pull on his ears. They were both taught to respect each other. However, she did stick her fingers in his mouth when I wasn't looking, and he licked her in the mouth a time or two when I wasn't looking. She was body rolling this dog at a very early age, he was trying to steal her electric jeep...I have a ton of pictures of the two of them together. McKinley will tell you... Brutus was her bestfriend when she was little.:)

To this day, he would give his life for that child. No one will ever harm her while she is on his watch. His protective nature changes when he is around her. He tightens his circle in which he gives a warning bark.
She is 5 now, and unfortunately we don't get to see her as often as we used to...I can tell when Brutus starts missing her...he will always carry her stuffed dinosaur off her bed, and he gets kinda mopey. He never messes with it until then. I call Todd for a McKinley fix for Brutus. After he sees her he is ok for a few weeks.

As far as other kids go, he is pretty good with them. He has never tried to harm one, however there has been a few he has stood behind me...I didn't blame him. They were usually middle school age. But, Brutus has been heavily socialized, he is pretty trust worthy as to how he is going to react. I have had him everywhere and anywhere with me he could possibly go, and I still do.

I would highly recommend a Fila for children, if you get the fila as a puppy. That way you can socialize it constantly. One of the best places is your vet. weekly visits for weigh in and socialization...it is imperative in my opinion. If you get a rescue, it may love your children, but unless you know what kind of socialization and temprement it has, it may not accept others outside of your family.

As of yet, I have not allowed Cleo around McKinley, or other children. She was not socialized, so I have a lot of socialization to do before I feel she will be ready to meet her. McKinley is a little disappointed, but my husband, son and I all agree it is better to wait until we know how Cleo will react.

filarotten

Fila the love
I know it was for Renee, but I thought I would add the kids thoughts since Brutus has been raised around one.

Cheza

Thanks Linda! That was great advice and I really appreciate it. I didn't want to make anyone feel left out about offering an opinion, it was just Renee's name that popped to mind first when I was making the post :eek:

I wouldn't be adding one in the near future.. maybe next summer or later. I'm just in the process of learning as much as I can about them, making sure they will fit in with our lifestyle, fit with our existing 2 danes, and mix well with our future plans. I'm also making sure that both Rob and I are sure that we would be prepared to bring one into the family.

Buckshot (the dog) loves kids. At family get togethers he is all the entertainment the kids need. Once, a nasty little brat came up and slapped him and he had the good nature to walk away.

Cheza

The mental image of that made me laugh, so apologies to Buckshot for me laughing at his misery... good on him for reacting how he did. Some kids though... jeez.

Members online

No members online now.