Question for the Breeders

The person I am getting my Aussie from is also a friend of mine. She is having trouble with one of her customers and I was curious what you guys would do.

The lady wanted a pup last fall and was upset when my friend informed her that no the dogs wouldn't be breeding then because the bitch was to young.

Then she had a heat in March and was bred. The lady wanted to put a deposite down on a pup.

My friend informed her that the deposite was non refundable. If the pup didn't produce the desired pup, then the deposite would be moved to the next litter. If she still failed to produce the desired pup, then she would refund the deposite. She also told her it would be best to wait until after the sonogram to make sure the bitch was indeed pregnant.

The lasy insisted on sending the deposite and understood that the it was possible that the bitch wasn't pregnant.

The bitch ended up not being pregnant. The lady wasn't happy, but was willing to wait until the next heat, which is the one that she just had.

Now this lady is throwing a fit because she claims she has no place to keep a puppy in the winter. Yet she was upset that there would be no pups last fall. She was also upset because she found out the blue merle male she wanted so badly couldn't be bred to her blue merle female. This relaly threw my friend for a loop because this lady had claimed she wanted a pet and working dog, she never said anything about wanting a dog for breeding purposes.

Now the lady is throwing a fit, demanding that she get her deposite back or she is taking my friend to court.

If you were my friend, what would you do?

Give it back and consider herself lucky to be rid of the woman. Some things are worth more than money. That's what I would do. Is it really worth being sued over?

Your friend say she gave the terms of the deposit - how did she do this? Is it written on the receipt? Is there a receipt? Honestly, if no puppies are produced, it's common practice to give the deposit back right away. It's really not fair to tie people to you forever and keep putting them off.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Honestly, I wouldn't have taken the deposit till she was sure her bitch with pregnant.

But since it's already been done, I would just give the lady her money back and be glad she found this all out BEFORE she gave her a puppy.

Yes the conditions of the deposite were written up. This lady knew when she made the deposite that there was no sono confirmation that the bitch was pregnant and had said that was fine if she wasn't because she was willing to wait. Then said she fine with waiting until the next heat. My friend had already told her that if for some reason that the Bitch did not get pregnant on this fall heat, that she would indeed refund the deposite no problem.

She does have a sapy and nueter clause on all puppies sold unless the person buying is serious about showing or competeing and shows knowlege about the breed and breeding in general.

She didn't really start throwing a fit about getting her deposite back until after the bitch was bred this time.

Honestly, I wouldn't have taken the deposit till she was sure her bitch with pregnant.

But since it's already been done, I would just give the lady her money back and be glad she found this all out BEFORE she gave her a puppy.
That is kind of how she is feeling, that she is happy she found this out before the woman got her hands on one of the pups. Not sure how the lady planned on breeding anyway when there is a spay/neuter clause.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I'd still give the money back. IMO it's not worth it. The breeders not out any money?

Boemy

Give back the refund. Why would she even want one of her puppies going to this nut?

She is going to send the money back. She said that this woman will get her hands on one of her puppies over her dead body. She also emailed other local area breeders that she knows of these peoples names and the problems and has recieved several return emails thanking her for caring enough about her dogs and the breed itself to not only not let the woman have a pup, but also to make it so other breeders are not subject to this crazy woman.

I was just curious what you guys would have done if you had a customer like that.

mrose_s

BusterLove
I would just give it back, this woman would never get a pup from me now so there would be no point in me holding the deposit.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I would have done pretty much exactly what your friend did. Refund the deposit and blacklist her.

showpug

I won't accept deposits because I don't like how messy things become when money is involved. Until I hand the puppy over to you, it is MINE and I call the shots. When I give it to you is the only time I will accept money for it. If a buyer falls through they are going to fall through, deposit or no deposit. I told my buyers that I work on the honor system, if they change their mind, they are to tell me ASAP and if I have nothing for them or if any complications arise then I will tell them ASAP. Maybe down the road things will change, but for now this is what I am comfortable with. I trust my buyers and their word is enough. But, I am naive and new to this!;)

R

RedyreRottweilers

I would refund her money immediately.

I would have no desire to have a relationship (which is what I ahve with all my puppy buyers) with someone who is going to behave that way before they even have the puppy.

Nope. Time to write her a check and write her off. ASAP.

sheepjoke

deposits should always be refundable in cases such as this does the breeder really want someone who doesnt want a puppy at this time to have one of her puppies pushed on her, then later dropped off at a shelter or on a gravel road things to think about reasons dogs from bybs end up in shelters i do not want anyone to get one of my dogs that doesnt truly want one and i will happily refund their deposit if they change their mind and on the rare occasion i take a deposit wchih i rarely do for these exact reason.

sheepjoke

Members online