Overbite question

Mach1girl

One of my puppies, the one I happen to be keeping has a very noticable over bite. When held up above, you can look up and see his little tongue stuck to the roof of his mouth, and after playing, his tongue is ALWAYS sticking out!

Being that we now have to pursue OTHER sports besides any bite work, does anyone have experience with this "problem" if it is one, and what are some of the things I have to keep an eye out for in the future in regards to growth and such. Does a serious over bite require surgery?Will it ever? What chances?Does it ever complicate normal behavior such as eating?
Thanks, I just want the best for him, and I want to have an idea of what to expect, or if it can be corrected early.....(My son says he needs "head gear!" as he has braces!!!)

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
If he has a serious fault why dont you give him to a pet home, and keep a more correct puppy?

Mach1girl

JennSLK said:
If he has a serious fault why dont you give him to a pet home, and keep a more correct puppy?
Because I want to make sure he will get any further treatment that he may EVER need. Or what if he grows and his tongue always hangs out??? Who wants a dog who look like he is gonna gum you death???
I seriously, seriously beleive 100% that due to his overall posrure, and conformation, broadness, ect he will be a good candidate for WP, and possibly obedience although still too young to tell, I want to make sure he is always wanted! And I will always want him and give him what he needs.

R

RedyreRottweilers

Mach1girl said:
One of my puppies, the one I happen to be keeping has a very noticable over bite. When held up above, you can look up and see his little tongue stuck to the roof of his mouth, and after playing, his tongue is ALWAYS sticking out!

Being that we now have to pursue OTHER sports besides any bite work,
Why would anyone consider bite work with a breed that was specifically bred to never bite a human, and for zero aggression towards humans?

does anyone have experience with this "problem" if it is one, and what are some of the things I have to keep an eye out for in the future in regards to growth and such.
In certain lines, overbites correct, even big ones. However, if you don't know the history in your line, you will have to take your chances on it. Most will correct somewhat as the lower jaw continues to develop and grow longer than the upper one.
Does a serious over bite require surgery?Will it ever? What chances?Does it ever complicate normal behavior such as eating?
It can require surgery. His is severe. You will know by the time the adult teeth are in.

Thanks, I just want the best for him, and I want to have an idea of what to expect, or if it can be corrected early.....(My son says he needs "head gear!" as he has braces!!!)

Mach1girl

Why would anyone consider bite work with a breed that was specifically bred to never bite a human, and for zero aggression towards humans?

The breed excels in PPt.

R

RedyreRottweilers

That breed should NEVER be used for that sort of work. It is incorrect for that breed to have any sort of aggressive temperament or attitude towards people.

It does not mix with the fighting background of the breed. It makes for a very dangerous combination, and will be the reason for the complete demise of your breed.

Mach1girl

RedyreRottweilers said:
That breed should NEVER be used for that sort of work. It is incorrect for that breed to have any sort of aggressive temperament or attitude towards people.

It does not mix with the fighting background of the breed. It makes for a very dangerous combination, and will be the reason for the complete demise of your breed.
ABs and APBTs are generally used in ppt, obedience AND weight pull. PPT training tests the dogs nerves and temerment 100% and MOST REPUTABLE breeders require the dog HAS been worked and tested LIKE this to prove a sound mind and temperment.

I have NEVER done ppt with my dogs and do not plan on it at all. I am just stating that the breed IS used for ppt purposes, has always been and excels nicely at it. They are intelligent. Have you ever heard that the APBT is unlike any other breed ever???It is true, they are, it cannot be explained easily, but being an owner for most of my life, I can attest that it is a true statement.

I will pursue other sports as I said, just wondering about the bite that he has.

Thanks for the info.

Back to the topic.

R

RedyreRottweilers

ABs are not APBTs.

I stand by my statement that people who breed dogs who can bite and who do bite work with APBTs WILL be the demise of that breed.

They are already banned in so many countries world wide. It's a losing battle in the US as well, IMO.

I see BSL come across my email EVERY day.

And Rome burns as Nero fiddles away.

bubbatd

Any pup with an un natural bite has a major fault. I'd make sure none of the other owners breed their pups, it could be passed on. I've never heard of bite correction. Can you take a picture for us ??? Is it a missalignment of the teeth or the jaw line ?

Mach1girl

I will take a pic soon. My digi is broke, so I have to use one of someone elses.

No, the jaw lines up on the sides just fine, the front teeth do not meet, the bottem front teeth are about 1/4 inch set back farther then the top front teeth. The bottem jaws is about 1/4 inch shorter then the top. But like I say, the sides line up, it is not crooked, no snaggle teeth.

I guess we will wait and see.

Members online

No members online now.