Why do you lurk?

For those that read but infrequently post or those reading this that have never posted, why do you lurk?

Did you lurk a long time before you originally started posting or jump right in? Do you go through spells of lurkdom? What draws you out of your hole and what puts you in it.

SaraB

I tend to be a lurker more than a poster. Especially when I first join a forum and I haven't gotten a good feel for the popular opinions for things yet. I absolutely don't want to be one of those people who jumps in saying they are against something when the majority of members are for it. I feel that is just picking a fight and I'd rather know what I'm getting myself into first. Or I would rather be more informed about a topic before I feel comfortable posting about it.

I also want to get a feel for individual members. Does someone fight just to fight? Does someone tend to get personal in debates? I like to know what I'm up against before I post something that I may have to defend.

Even now on Chaz, I'll go through lurking phases when I'm not in a talkative (typative?) mood or if I know I won't have any constructive or nice to say. So generally when I'm pms'ing for example, I won't post for several days because I know whatever I post will come across wrong.

This is the only forum I post on right now, the rest I lurk.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
There's a lurker on here who is also one of my coworkers.

I keep telling her to post an intro thread and she keeps NOT doing it :p

ETA: I lurk mainly on the OES forum that I'm on because I don't have a whole lot in common with the other members. I mainly comment on cute pictures and the nutrition threads when I think I have information that can help :)

ACooper

Though I'm definitely not a lurker here, I lurk on two different sites..........non animal related. I've been a member at one for way over a year, and the other for around 6 months. I've never posted, so nothing has drawn me out of my hole, LOL

I lurk because there's no reason to post. I can't offer any information because I'm learning about these subjects. I haven't needed to ask anything because I know how to use a forum and the search........most subjects a newb would need have been covered in spades.

M

MyHorseMyRules

I tend to be a lurker more than a poster. Especially when I first join a forum and I haven't gotten a good feel for the popular opinions for things yet. I absolutely don't want to be one of those people who jumps in saying they are against something when the majority of members are for it. I feel that is just picking a fight and I'd rather know what I'm getting myself into first. Or I would rather be more informed about a topic before I feel comfortable posting about it.
Now that I know how these things work, I would do the same. Back when I first discovered Chaz, I barely even knew how to post. And I did start a fight when I joined. I got all defensive and lied and other various things I'm not overly proud of now that I'm a little older and a little more mature. Key word being little. lol But what I'm saying is I can see how lurking for a while would have worked out in my favor.

So generally when I'm pms'ing for example, I won't post for several days because I know whatever I post will come across wrong.
This is something I SHOULD do but seldom end up doing... lol Sometimes Linds is my conscience and tells me not to post something because it's a little too snarky, even for me.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
Sometimes I just don't have anything to say or share.

I read some threads and while I like them I have nothing to add.

:)

Paige

Let it be
I go through phases here where I am vocal. I have gone MIA a few times but I still read from time to time and lurk during those periods. I don't always feel like I have it in me to contribute to a forum but I enjoy reading what everyone else has to say.

I don't think I count as a lurker though. I've been around awhile and post a fair bit.

yoko

Sometimes the wave of conversation on Chaz just doesn't go into stuff I really want to post on. Like parent topics I'm not a parent or wanting to be one so nothing to add. Same with shows, agility Any competitions i'll post if there are pics and i like them but actual talk about isn't really my thing.

Also on training ones I'll throw in what I know or try to disclaimer bad advice but if its five or more pages in there probably isn't much to add.

Toller_08

I tend to lurk more than I post, usually because I feel that there are people who know more than me and/or can say something better than I probably could. Or what I was going to say has already been said, so no sense in repeating it. Plus, most of the time I get to spend online is at work, so it's easier to read a whole bunch of things when I have time rather than post a lot. Even in real life though I tend to keep my thoughts and opinions to myself unless I absolutely feel the need to say something. And I don't like to be the person that everybody disagrees with, so if I'm one of only a few (or the only one) with an opposing opinion of something, I'm probably not going to post it depending on the topic and situation.

But all in all, I'm just not a real big talker in real life or online unless I know you really well. I like to observe and chime in when I feel I can add something to a conversation.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
The first year or two after I joined I posted all the time! Then I dunno, life happened and I finished school and was working all the time. I still post every now and then but I'm definitely not nearly as active as I once was. I think it's because I often know the right thing will be said without my input. If I can help in a thread I'll usually hop in. With it being politics season, I'm sort of hunkered down lol, don't want to start a war.

Though I do have to say, being in Chaz is refreshingly open. I brought up the circumcision thing on another forum I'm on and the people about went batshit and I almost got banned.

Red.Apricot

I lurk to decide if I want to post on a forum. I really don't like being 'yelled at' even online, particularly when I'm still new to somewhere.

Plus, I'm just interested in what other people have to say. I kind of view lurking on a good forum almost like reading a multiple-person blog.

Whenever I find a new forum, I lurk for quite awhile to get the "feel" of the place before I start posting... but then I generally just jump right in if it feels like a place that "fits." I'll go through periods of lurking, though... sometimes I just get tired of the internet, or I don't have anything to say/add, or sometimes if I've gotten really riled up about something I feel like lying low for awhile.

RBark

Got Floof?
I mostly lurk. I look at pics, see people's accomplishments. I used to be a frequent poster (approx 6 years and like 6000 posts on dogforums.com) but at the time there was a lot for me to learn. These days I mostly ignore the training debates, dog care debates, and so on.

I respond to training advice threads but due to my limited time surfin the net it is usually answered before I even get there and I dislike posting when I have nothing new to add.

k9krazee

I lurk. I read almost every thread started in fire hydrant, dog general and dog pictures.

I rarely post threads of my own because I haven't lived with my dogs for over 5 years and I rarely post because I'm always on my phone and it is sometimes too much effort or someone has already said what I wanted to say. I like to read and stay current in the dog world and I learn a lot from the fire hydrant stuff, which is why I'm still around practically every day.

LauraLeigh

I'm a part time poster/ part time lurker...

Depends on a few things, tapatalk has allowed me to post a lot more since I'm rarely on a "real" computer anymore...

Sometimes life just gets in the way though, between work and other commitments I'm just too busy to post often

Jenne

Ball Thrower
I lurk because I don't have much to say, and I tend to ask my questions on a busier forum where I'll get answers. The people here are a really close group and I often feel like an intruder, so I read a lot of posts but don't comment much. I'll de-lurk to comment on a dog, welcome a new member or if I feel I have something valuable to add, but that's about it.

There's a lurker on here who is also one of my coworkers.

I keep telling her to post an intro thread and she keeps NOT doing it :p

ETA: I lurk mainly on the OES forum that I'm on because I don't have a whole lot in common with the other members. I mainly comment on cute pictures and the nutrition threads when I think I have information that can help :)
Keep telling her to post! We need more Chazzers at work!

(Do I know this person?)

Members online

No members online now.