How long does puppy teething last?

vmills

SimAlvin
Yesterday Alvin (5 1/2 months) gave us a scare by acting weird (licking, swallowing, pawing his muzzle) for about 10 minutes before he spit out a good-sized tooth.

How long before he gets all his permanent teeth and stops chewing everything he can get his mouth on and into?

lizzybeth727

How long before he gets all his permanent teeth
I think it's around 6-8 months old.

and stops chewing everything he can get his mouth on and into?
:) Chewing is partially caused by teething, but it's also a behaviorial issue. Even adult dogs need to chew, it's an instinctive drive that most dogs have. My 5-year-old chihuahua chewed a lot when I got her at a year old, but now she doesn't chew very often.... Though once or twice a month she will spend an hour or two with her knuckle bone. I know of several adult dogs who will still chew up anything they can get their mouth around, until you can teach them what is appropriate to chew on.

Too often I see puppy owners not worry too much about teaching their puppies to chew only on appropriate items, and just expect the puppies to "grow out of" that behavior. Sadly, I think this is a big reason why adolescent dogs (just out of their "teething" stage) are rehomed.

Members online

No members online now.