More questions about Teddy's foot

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Ok I now have a prevention method. once the neopaws are ordered and get here I will have no problem :D For now he is using his ratty cheapo boots as they are better than nothing.

The thing is.... The cut on the big pad of his foot keeps coming open. I have a bandaid (lol i know but I ran out of gauze) with some neosporin on it and I cleaned the cut before that. When we are outside playing it splits back open. Should we not be playing? It bleeds a lot when it comes back open. If I can't let him run around to play what else can I do with him to get that energy out of his system? Is there anything else I should be doing for his foot?

R

RedyreRottweilers

Um yes, you need to keep the dog from activities that are going to burst his wound until it's well closed.

It would really almost go without saying that this dog needs to be rested and prevented from these activities until his foot heals, and the new booties arrive.

I would pay careful attention to this, pad wounds can be very difficult to get healed sometimes, and I would not risk reopening it until it's healed. You likely need some good vetwrap to keep it bound until the booties get here.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
ok that answers a lot but what can i do to help get the energy out with him. he really does go crazy if he doesn't get out. Anything I can do to relieve this "cabin fever"

R

RedyreRottweilers

The short answer is no. Not if he's going to reopen his foot wound.

Keep him mentally busy with big bones, new toys, and other interesting things to chew. He's just going to have to rest that until it's knitted together, else it will keep popping open, and each time it does that you have more scar tissue and a greater chance it WON'T go back together.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
oh boy Victor did that..he came down on a branch that was stuck in the ground..it split his pad in a deep wound. If i had done what the forum was telling me early it would have made a difference but i chickened out and took him to the vet. The forum suggested that i use superglue..the gel version but i just wasn't sure..so two hours later i took him to the vet where she tried to superglue it shut but by that time it had swelled so bad there was nothing for it. You can't stitch the pad because it is too porous and will pull out. a huge flap of it finally fell off and grew back but was ghastly for a while and keeping it clean and dry was even harder..good luck to you. Make sure you keep it clean and watch for signs of infection.

Saje

Island dweller
You can use super glue. Seriously, Renee recommends it all the time. Pinch the cut closed and glue it shut. I haven't tried it myself but I totally trust Renee and this sounds like the kind of situation where you would need it.

R

RedyreRottweilers

This can work very well, but you really need surgical glue. Most vets will give this to you. Super Glue gets very hot as it sets, and can really irritate skin tissues. SKIN BOND, or NU SKIN can work very well tho. :D

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
my vet suggested superglue gel only..but it does have to be done right away..i don't know where you would purchase surgical glue..anyone have an idea? by waiting too long the pad on vics foot had swollen almost twice it's size, bowed out where it was torn..would have been like sticking to balloons together. Now i have a tube in my er doggy kit so that will never happen again.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
smkie said:
my vet suggested superglue gel only..but it does have to be done right away..i don't know where you would purchase surgical glue..anyone have an idea? by waiting too long the pad on vics foot had swollen almost twice it's size, bowed out where it was torn..would have been like sticking to balloons together. Now i have a tube in my er doggy kit so that will never happen again.
Teddy's foot isn't swollen at all. As soon as we came inside last night I cleaned it put neosporin on it and wrapped it in gauze and left it over night. I examined the cut today. it had stopped bleeding a few minutes after it started. I don't know why it stopped so quickly. Anyway the cut is a decent cut but not quite as deep as I had though at the beginning. I have been using alcohol swabs after we go outside. he doesn't like that very much but he toughs it out lol. I have been using his boots everytime we go out. I have also been putting neosporin on it. He doesn't show any signs of pain and there is no swelling. perhaps I will try the superglue. I don't understand what you mean though by the gel kind.

Puckstop31

Super-Genius
Saje said:
You can use super glue. Seriously, Renee recommends it all the time. Pinch the cut closed and glue it shut. I haven't tried it myself but I totally trust Renee and this sounds like the kind of situation where you would need it.
+1 When I played in college, this is how the trainers closed facial cuts. There had to be zero blood, or they could not play.

Army medics also now have something similar they use.

Members online

No members online now.