Eli ....Rainbow Bridge

Hi, you guys. Thanks for your special words. I'm so glad you've adopted Grammy! She's the best. She's 71 and I'm 41, but we're like a couple of single school girls who just want to have fun and love on our babies. I have no human children, so my dogs are her GrandDogs, for sure. We lost my Dad just two years ago just a few months before their 50th wedding anniversary. Now we both live in our own house, with our own dogs, just a few miles apart. We go somewhere to the tropics every February. This year, we've chosen Tobago. Eli would always go to his "Dad's" (my -ex, believe it or not -- we're still very close friendship-wise) when I would go on these trips. I vowed to NEVER kennel Eli because of his sensitivity and wouldn't want him confused. This year, we had to make the decision to kennel Hunter and Chip while on our trip. Chippy's been kenneled before my Mom got him and Hunter came from a shelter, so they've done the drill. We've already done a "test-run" -- took them there and left them for a few hours to see how they did. And they did fine! We wanted them in the same run, but the portion that's indoors is about the size of a bathtub (not literally, but it's a tight fit for two big dogs). The people there are so nice, though. They said they could put them back and forth to be in the same run inside or be in their own run next to each other. But when let out into the larger run, would put them together. And we're going to pay the extra $ to make sure they're let out into a giant play yard together. I think they'll be in good hands. I have been tormented at the fact that we've had this vacation planned for months and months and what shape Eli would be in by then. My -ex would have to step up to the plate with all his meds and chemo and everything and I would have been worried sick the whole time. Ultimately, Eli went when he was ready and I won't have to worry about now... :-(
Amy + Hunter

Renee750il said:
Knowing Eli slipped away in his sleep, Hunter curled next to him in his accustomed spot . . . what a lasting gift he left for you.

Eli will send you someone to make a new place in your heart. You and Hunter (and Grammy too - we've adopted her) have been in all of our thoughts and hearts so much in these recent days. We're here and will love reading any Eli stories you want to tell and I promise that I, for one, will cry with you when I read them.
Hi, Renee. Well, here's one sweet Eli story. I was packing the "baby bags" on Sunday for my trip. I would take my boys to Grammy's and had two canvas bags to pack for their stuff -- mainly food and meds. I usually will pack up some toys, but Chip has so many at Grammy's house that I just tossed a couple of tennis balls in for Hunter, since Chip didn't have tennis balls. Well, last week I had gotten Eli a big stuffed pony for a toy. He would run around shaking it in his mouth, he loved it so! While I was packing their things and saying they didn't need to take their toys, Eli goes and gets Pony and won't let go of it as we are going out the door. I said "OK... you can take your PONY!" I stuffed Pony down into one of their bags so he would have him. Now the heartbreaking... Pony was right beside Eli's head when he died...

So sad and sweet. I'm so glad he got to take his pony to Grammy's with him, and so happy that you've got those memories of him shaking that pony before you had to leave.

I've still got special things that mine loved, like Bear's scarf he wore when he went on his visits to the family shelters, Gonzo's spiked collar he loved to wear (I had it made for him after he wore out the Doberman that had made his life miserable - not bad for a cat!), Purdue's favorite leash . . .

bubbatd

Grammy here : Part of my doggie toys go back 30 years ....Amy's " bluey" horse she gave to our dogs. So special. You all have given Amy ( and me ) soooooooo much support!!! Thanks again.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Eli and his pony story just brought tears to my eyes. Treasure the pony forever. I still have a big mouse my Brandy loved; she had over a dozen stuffed toys and knew each of their names. The mouse has a winter hat on it that she loved to take off and have us put back on. It's amazing how a simple stuffed toy can bring back so many good memories of the ones we love.

Grammy, you're a special mom to Amy and all the pets. My love to all!

roni

K-9 lover ;)
Amy ~ you are so lucky to have Grammy AND Grammy you are so lucky to have Amy! I had Rudy for 15 years so my mom watched him alot while I was working or on vacation. Needless to say, she was very close to him. When Rudy passed away she seemed like the only one who understood what I was going through. People at work and friends of mine who didn't have animals...they didn't understand. I am so glad that you two had each other during this very trying time. Oh...Rudy had a ball that he absolutely loved. I have since put that in a special place to keep forever! : )

EliNHunter

Thanks, Roni. Their favorite toys are very special, aren't they? Hunter doesn't have much interest in playing with Pony, but likes to use him as a pillow. (He's more of a Kong-Guy, lol) So, Pony is now a permanent bed fixture and Hunter and I will both lay our head on him and go to sleep every night. With Hunter snuggled into me and my arm around him. It's precious...
Amy + Hunter

EliNHunter

Hi, Renee... yes, I need down time, but it's hard. I want to give others so much support now. I've given away most of Eli's expensive meds on the Yahoo Canine Cancer site where they're on the same therapy. I still have Cytoxan left (if there are any takers here... free of charge, of course). I am beginning to take Hunter everywhere I go with me... he's got to learn to be The Man... and already, I think he's getting it. He would always squeal and squeal while in the car out of excitement. Now it's a muffled hummmmmmm... He knows he's with his Mamma and things are good. I took him on a trip to the store tonight. Of course, he jumps into Mamma's driver's seat once I got out (which he knows he's not supposed to do), but that's ok... he's learning. At least he just hummed on the way home instead of squealing! I think he's settling down and realizing he's The Man... ???
Amy + Hunter

bubbatd

We are sooooooooooooooo blessed .....!!!!! He may be "the man" but your my gal!!! Love you both!

Members online

No members online now.