Pre- sport preformance testing?

Kayla

Duke just turned 18 months old a few weeks ago and with his body approaching it's last stages of growing I've begun thinking about what type's of tests we should look into doing before actively starting him in sports. Right now he does sled pulling but actual runs are few and far between with lots of joint conditioning inbetween. When he does pull we keep the total weight under 140lbs and again this is only after much pre conditioning. I'd like to get more involved with weight pull/carting and such next fall after he reaches the two year mark along with giving things like freestyle frizby, herding and possibly agility but being a large mixed breed ( Rotti x Border Collie x who knows) I know eventually we will run into hip problems. My question is at what age can hips be x-rayed to identify hip condition and hint to the severity of hip displaysia that can be expected later on in life. Also for these types of sports would elbow testing be recomended as well?

I have him on petplan's top line coverage and plan on switching him to a lower coverage at two years of age so that if any serious conditions pop up he is already on a plan and cant be excluded coverage on the pre-exsisting claus.

Also knowing the extent of deteration expected I can also make a more informed descion on which sports to participate in with Duke, and gravitate towards more low-impact sports if his body requires it.

All help appriciated.

Kayla

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
Could probably do it now. The hips should be developed for sure by now and the femur will probably only elongate at this point, doubt the femoral head will change any more.

Plus you can see if he really is done growing or not by whether the growth plates are closed.

Jynx

i normally xray all my dogs around 18mths - 2 years from top to bottom..especially my performance dogs. Not only does it give you a good idea of how things stand at that age, but the xrays can be used for future comparison should a need arise.

I xray, hips, elbows, shoulder, knees, spine. basically a good total body xray.
diane

Members online

No members online now.