Need help with training our almost 6 mo old puppy

kamz

Hi, I'm new to the forums.
We got our Puppy "Lucky" a Shipoo July 28th. We have done the crate training right down to everything the books say and here we are at almost 6 months old for our pup and he is still having accidents in the house:yikes:

I don't know what we are doing wrong and would be thrilled with some pointers. Also, how do I teach Lucky how to let me know he needs to go out, we would like him to go to the door that we take him out of or jump at that door etc. Is that possible to teach a dog how to let you know they want to go outside?

Thanks for any advice, I sure appreciate it:)

mlee

I have a 5 month old pup who is completely potty trained...hasn't had in accident in over a month. We were having problems at first and then a friend suggested using a bell. So we mounted a bell right by the door and everytime we went outside (for potty, not play) we had him hit the bell. After a couple of weeks he started "abusing" the bell and realizing what it meant so we took it away. With no bell, he began to lightly scratch the door and now he jsut stands near the door and if we don't see him, he whines....worked for us so i suppose it's worth a shot! good luck! and hope you have a good carpet cleaner and we used Febreze A LOT!

accidents

Accidents happen because someone is not watching! Every moment of every day you need to be watching him. Need to go to the bathroom yourself? Either put him in the crate or carry him with you. Need to run in the other room--take him with you or have him follow you. This way you can catch him when he starts showing potty signs (sniffing a lot, pacing, even if he starts to squat you can catch him immediately--pick him up and take him outside). I do take it he is crate trained?

Members online

No members online now.