Need some help from Bichon owners...

TPhalen

Hi. New to the whole puppy thing (well...other than having one as a kid). I have a couple questions.

1. The paperwork for my puppy says he's 13 weeks. BUT, I've been to pet shops and seen 12 week old pups and they're ALOT bigger than him. I purchased him at a pet store and, well, I'm thinking that paperwork might be a bit off....or he's a runt. Any way I can find out?

2. I've read that a 'house-broken Bichon' is nothing but an oximoron. It can be done, but it's very difficult. Any tips on this type of training??? He's kept in a 'play area' with his kennel in there, and his piddle-pad, but as soon as we let him out of his play area, he gots nuts-zoid and runs all over, eventually piddling on something he probably shouldn't. When he's in the play area, he ALWAYS hits the pad...not once has he missed it. Bit confusing for, I'm guessing, both dog and owner!

3. He's also a biter! He plays rough, which is fine, but I can't have him biting every bit of my skin and my girlfriends just because he plays rough. When I scold him (and an occassional light tap on the nose....I hate hitting dogs!!! :( ), this just fires him up more...and he gets more aggressive. I finally have to put him away in his play area.

Now, I've read some books but they don't seem to be helping much. I'm just assuming that, because he's at such a young age, this is just going to be something I have to deal with for a short time until he matures a little....sorta like an infant. It's just frustrating because he doesn't seem to listen.

Anyone have similar experiences that they might have some additional 'hands-on' info they care to share? He's a sweet dog when he's not in spaz-mode...but when he is, he's quite the terror!!!

Thanks in advance

If you got to nopuppymills.com and fill out the Free Pet Shop puppy report they should be able to tell you what you need to know about your new puppy. My guess is your puppy was younger than what they said. As far as the biting goes, that is completely normal.. Our little yorkie was supposedly 9 weeks when we got her and she did the same thing, it does get better as they get older but what I would do would put her down and walk away when she got too rough and wouldn't stop. I think being a spaz is completely normal too, our little one runs laps around the house when she's in that spaz mood.

TPhalen

Ya, I have the 'run-laps-around-the-house' pup too. Thinking about timing him!!!! His laptimes are getting faster each day!!!!

I've tried the put-him-down-and-walk-away method....he then chases me and grabs on to my sock or paintleg or shoelace or whatever he can sink his little pointy razers in to!!!

Ok, I'll check nopuppymills.com. Thanks so much for this tip!

joce

He could be nippy because he probally wasn't with his litter mates and mother long enough. I've heard so many conflicting things on what to do about it though that I'm not sure what advice to give you. I have heard of them screwing up paperwork many times too so it is definately possible.

avenlee

I might try the "time out' method. put him in a safe convined area for about 5 mins when he behaves rough. Only 5 mins though.

I hope you have already or made an appointment for a well puppy vet visit. Your vet should be able to tell you the age of your pup and most likely be able to give you good tips also.

TPhalen

Thanks for all the help. I've been doing the 5-minute-time-out method. Just started this past weekend. Seems like this might be the ticket.

As for the vet, he has been there a couple times, recieved his shots, and is doing fine. Cute little guy. Weird how things change around the house with the addition of a dog.

TPhalen

One more quick question:

I've noticed lately that when he sits, waiting for whatever to happen, his front legs shake and tremble a little...like a nervous twitch. Is this a possible Bichon problem-thing that they have???

Members online

No members online now.