*sigh* Milo got into a fight

milos_mommy

thankfully, not with another dog. It's been a while since he's dug and being that the ground is (supposedly) frozen 27 inches down, I figured he'd be fine outside for THREE minutes alone.

But he got himself stuck under the shed for the third time. And I'm home alone with the flu. So while I was digging and thinking about calling the fire department and worrying he was going to suffocate, out pops his face, COVERED in blood, and then it disappears back underneath.

I figured he cut himself on a nail in the baseboard or something, until I heard what seriously sounded like a small mountain lion and Milo screaming. I think whatever it was managed to get away and push a wall or dirt between him and the nightmare dog of mine and I managed to grab Milo's back legs and drag him out.

Luckily most of the blood came from one small (albeit nasty) puncture wound....looks like whatever it was managed to grab most of Milo's muzzle in it's teeth, he's got other punctures sort of on his cheeks and his eye area is all scratched up. I flushed the dirt out of his eyes and cleaned him off (my bathroom was head to ceiling covered in mud and dirt and blood). I didn't take him to vet because he's vaccinated, the wounds stopped bleeding, and I have some antibiotic left over from a bad flea hot-spot. I don't have money to take him in for non-emergencies...so it's neosporin and TLC. I hope it doesn't abscess...

Anyway, wish us healing and STAY OUT OF TROUBLE vibes.

PS. Any idea what to do about the fact that I have some sort of probably-mortally injured creature under my shed? Should I just close up Milo's hole and let it die? Will it rot and smell or just be like anything buried?

adojrts

Fill in the whole with large rocks and fill it in with dirt and find a way to block it completely. Or let him enter again to finish the job, then fill it in. Btw, where are the other entrance/exit holes for that sette (den), because there will be more than one.

It doesn't matter what time of year it is, you can't let him out there with a sette esp. since he is entering and working the quarry. Hell, I couldn't go out there with my dogs off leash supervised and not expect them be down it in a heartbeat.

Just a tip I have learned over the years... put a very warm washcloth on the wound every night... hold it there as long as Milo will let you... this will draw out some of the infection if any occurs and hopefully prevent it from abscessing.

Healing Vibes for both of you.

ACooper

Oh no :( Healing vibes for Mr. Milo. I hope he heals with NO issues and is fine soon.

The mystery shed creature I have no advice for, LOL, never been in that situation before :(

milos_mommy

Fill in the whole with large rocks and fill it in with dirt and find a way to block it completely. Or let him enter again to finish the job, then fill it in. Btw, where are the other entrance/exit holes for that sette (den), because there will be more than one.

It doesn't matter what time of year it is, you can't let him out there with a sette esp. since he is entering and working the quarry. Hell, I couldn't go out there with my dogs off leash supervised and not expect them be down it in a heartbeat.
The problem is I can't really see where the critter is getting in/out...all I can see is where Milo dug, which we filled in with large rocks. However the back of the shed is fenced off so my guess is the animal is entering/exiting from back there, which he can't get to.

Thanks for the warm washcloth tip, I will do that. I'm going to try and have the wound heal from the inside out (the puncture at least) so that will definitely help.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Is Milo's rabies vaccine current? If not you might think about getting him in for a booster ASAP.

Members online

No members online now.