Saw Oakley Yesterday!!

Dreeza

I got to see oakkley yesterday for the first time in over a month!! It was only for an hour..

He was SOOOOO excited to see us...i was so scared he wouldnt remember us, or wouldnt want to come home or something...but no, he was sooo happy!!

The trainer said he loves oakley...he said he would take him in an instant if we offered, lol, and that he rarely has a dog like that! He also told us that oakley must have husky in him...cause his face/skull are very much shaped like a husky, and he has many husky traits...and that oakley is a BRAT, lol

But we were walking oakley off leash around the neighborhood...he was GLUED to our sides, when he'd see a squirrel...and his ears got all perked, we just had to say "easy" and he would instantly stop paying attn to it. When we stop, he sits, and when we say "down" he hits the floor in split second...hes so cute...we told him to stay, and he we were walking like half a block away from him, and you could tell he wanted to follow us so bad...but he stayed! He was definately scared of getting shocked though...the trainer was saying he usually doesnt act as scared...but he is VERY confused, being back in the old neighborhood, and is used to being able to do what he wants...and now he cant, so he has to learn that.

we only learned "lets go" "easy" "sit" "down", and then the coolest one ( i think) is "Okay" while tapping him on the head...that means he is free to play...and he was demonstrating how the tap is important, so that way, when you are talking to someone and you say "okay" oakley doesnt take off, lol...when he said that, you could see oakley all tensing up, ready to play, lol, it was so cute! and then we just tapped him and said "okay" and he kinda ran off, then came back...and ran off, and checked back in with us, lol to make sure that he really was allowed to play.

i get to see him again today! Ill let you guys know how that goes!!

RoxyBoxer

I get nervous when my dog stays at my moms for the night lol I can imagine how happy you must be for him to come home!!!

Fran27

I'm glad it went good! Let us know how he adjusts when he's back for good.

To be honest though I think it's not good that he seems so confused and unsure of himself though, without mentioning the fear of being shocked. Poor dog.

I know you're not going to get much sleep between now and Sunday! I'm sorry he's having the confusion and has some fears, but compared to being faced with the inevitable fate of dogs that bite and are unmanageable . . .

With love and attention and reassurance - and sticking to his training - those fears and confusions will fade.

Dreeza

yeah, i hate how he looks so scared of the shock...today, the trainer was talking to us about that (which i think it is a good sign, cause he obviously was acknowledging the fact that it was not normal) he just said that right now oakley is really determined not to do the wrong thing...so is really tense, because it is sooo much for him to take in all at once. He said that tenseness will go away in a day or two once he is home. Poor oakley did not want to go back in the guy's truck today! he wanted to stay home!! but not until tomorrow...

it sucks, cause i have to go back to school tomorrow :( so i only get to spend a few hours with him.

and renee...exactly...our options were VERY limited...if we gave him back to a shelter, he most likely would have been put down..,..and my mom couldnt live with the way he was acting when he got crazy...

i know oakley is scared of the shock, but, he is definately happy...he wags his tail the whole time, and then, there is also the "okay" command which means he is 'off duty' and can play, so he doesnt have to be scared of it then...

he is sooo excited to come home!! i cant wait! :)

Fran27

I'm sure he will just need a bit of time to readjust and will realize he won't be shocked anymore with you and will relax soon. Keep us posted!

Becca_

chowchow
I have been wondering about him the last few days. Glad to hear he's coming home. Looking forward to hearing stories about him.

keyodie

Keyozilla
That's great news!!! Now THAT's the training Charlie needs, lol.

hehe Oakley must do the same thing Charlie does on "down". Does Oakley put his paws up in the air and then slam himself down? Charlie does that, and it looks like he's bowing down to me with a lot of enthusiasm...hehe

Dreeza

haha yah, oakley does that...its funny, cause he was telling us that "stay" kinda means "freeze" so i said it to him when he was laying down, but had his paws and head up in the air...poor oakley looked sooo uncomfortable!!

he relaxed the instant he got in the house...he seemed very excited to reunite with his racoon toy ... the one stuffed animal that he just CANNOT manage to rip apart!! (lol, purchased that at a garage sale for 50 cents assuming it would provide like, a day of entertainment before it got ripped...but, sheesh, that thing refuses to be torn..he's had it since june...and plays with it ALL the time)

we got to meet his gf yesterday too...the trainer's little jack russell...haha soo cute!

hopefully my brother can work with oakley well enough, so that his learning doesnt go bye bye...

i wish i could see him :( i got to spend like, 2 hours with him, then i had to leave...it sucked

Members online

No members online now.