We had a little incident

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Well we had our first little incident last night.

it was our fault and luckily it wasn't too serious.

We had some bone-in chicken breasts (raw of course) for the dogs. We put one in each of their bowls. i didn't think to put them in seperate rooms for this special treat because usually they are fine with sharing everything and it just didn't cross my mind that this would be a coveted treat. Heck I have watched them chew on the same bone at the same time LOL. They always eat out of the same dish even though we try to keep them at their seperate bowls. So this was just silliness on our part. Neither one of them has any food agression for the most part (except for chicken breasts apparently lol)

Anyway they were bugging each other and next thing I know they are full out growling and barking and snarling at each other. It was easily broken up with a firm stomp on the ground and a loud HEY HEY HEY (I was near them) They immediately stopped and went to their seperate corners. I removed the chicken and put them in seperate rooms and let them finish their chicken there.

Belle had a very superficial scratch on her lip which we cleaned and it is fine. Teddy didn't have a scratch but he was the most "hurt" His feelings were VERY hurt.

So we kept on eye on the for the rest of the night but they seemed to be more upset by their spat than we were. About a half an hour of avoiding each other they finally approached one another slowly and started nuzzling and licking each others muzzles. After a while they started playing again and they would both lay down and roll over for the other (taking turns). After that they were inseperable. If one dog went to the "dog room" to sleep the other followed and they slept together for the rest of the day and night (they hardly ever sleep together). They have been very sucky and cuddly with each other since the incident.

Luckily, it was just a lot of yelling and show boating and no REAL fighting, no real biting or anything. of course we will keep an eye on them but I am just amazed at how sad they both were about it and how "apologetic" they seemed with each other. Later today I caught them eating the remnants of dog food out of the same bowl again.... with no issue. I guess it is just the special items they aren't willing to share. Very wierd but I will definately be watching them closer.

Dreeza

awwww...that is so cute how they 'made up'!!!!!

so glad to hear it was nothing too serious. Those two seem absolutely smitten with each other!

TopShelfPets

Thread Killer
I guess it is just the special items they aren't willing to share.
Yep. Jager pretty much never gets wet food. Last week i gave him some, and the cat went to the water bowl next to him. Jager started growling! He has like zero food agression normally. I've accidently dropped something into his bowl and reached in to get it while he was eating before, and he didn't so much as blink. Even with the wet food, he didn't mind me approaching. I guess he thought SoCo was going to steal his food.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Yeah they never have a problem with me reaching into their food but the chicken was too good to share with each other. The funny thing is I ended up having to hand feed it to belle cause she didn't know what to do with it. We let them lick our plates after we are done eating dinner and they often share the plates with no issue. We just said the other day we need to get bigger bowls because they both have their faces crammed into the bowls and come out with food all over themselves lol. But chicken breast is special I suppose lol. Well we certainly learned our lesson.

i really was amazed how saddened they both were by the incident and how stuck to each other they were after that.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Aww, how sweet they 'made up!' Glad nothing serious occured!

Doberluv

Glad all ended up OK. Yes, you just never know what will set them off. Now you do. LOL. I guess there's just something about chicken breasts.

Barb04

Super Moderator
That's why I feed them all in separate rooms. I don't want any one of them to ever get hurt over food.

Members online