Relationship with your dogs breeder

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
No need to apologize for hijacking lol thats what threads are all about, conversations change and so do threads and im finding all this very interesting

noodlerubyallie

Sprayin' the spiders
Just curious :)

whats your relationship with them like?

how important do you think your relationship is?

would you buy a dog you like from a breeder you don't really "click" with?

She's roughly 4 hours away but we try to randomly visit. Our relationship is friendly, but she intimidates me. If you met her, you'd understand. Also, you are expected to help her around the house when you visit. BUT, she appreciates hard work and honesty, so we get along.

I would think our relationship is pretty important. I can ask her anything - she's got 40 years of experience and knows her dogs like the back of her hand. If I couldn't get along with her, I don't know how well we would mesh in decision making.

I don't think I could buy a dog from someone that I couldn't get along with.

As for the mixed-breed....as long as the person breeding is holding themselves to the same standards a reputable purebred breeder, then I'm all for it. BUT, LMPoo doesn't appear to fall into my own category of a "good breeder."

JMHO.

LMPOO

LMPOO: First off, it is unethical to breed mixed breeed dogs.. Period.. There are enouogh MIXED BREED (which is what a "cockapoo" is, a mixed breed dog)dogs dying in shelters without you supplying more.. JMO.

And second. Vets know NOTHING about food, unless they research it on there own.. They push crap food to make *Gasp* Money!

Royal canin wouldnt even come into my home.. I warn you, I know people who's pets are Dying of kidney failure bcause of tainted royal canin.

And Fran, to the original question. I have an amazing relationship with keely's breeder. She is a very friendly person and always checks in on her puppies... She is JUST like me. even our odg situiations as children were the same! :p.. Its scary sometimes how much alike we are.
Like I said before, I respect your opinion, however strongly disagree. It is unethical for a breeder to allow any of their puppies sent to a shelter. I require all dogs be returned to me in the event a family is unable to keep their dog. There are purposes for a cross breeding and I believe in those reasons. I think that if a breeder cross breeds any and all breeds to make $ then they are unethical. I breed and specialize in Cockapoo's. I love them and think they are perfect family pets.

My vet is very knowledgeable and would never offer a dog food that was not quality. Maybe the vet you go to is out for the $, but mine is not. Royal Canin is a quality food!! Years ago they had a recall as well as many other dog feeds, however I did not have any of the tainted food.

Last edited:

LMPOO

Would the person whom called my home, please not call again.

Last edited:

sammgirl

ACoops favorite
If someone called your house over this thread, that's super creepy. Although, if you do post your number publicly then you do open yourself up.

I'd like to comment since Fran says it's ok and its her thread:

First off, when you play god with the genetics of another species, then it's your responsibility to do things to the absolute best of your ability and it is MY opinion that you are not doing that.

In my opinion, every decision to put two animals together to breed should be carefully researched on every level: structurally, genetically, and regarding also temperment/working ability of the parents.

For example, if you put two dogs together who have the same physical flaw, you cannot improve on type. If you are not well schooled in structure, you cannot make that type of decision.

The only way to be well schooled in structure is to compare your dog to other dogs by showing or some other type of venue.

Do you see what I am saying or am I wasting my breath? If YOU are playing GOD with the genetics of another species it is YOUR JOB to make sure that you are making the best decision possible.

Being willfully ignorant of these things is no excuse.

AND, as to your hypoallergenic idea, if you breed a breed that sheds (spaniels) to a breed that doesn't (poodle) you have great chance that the puppies will shed because they are not pure bred, so that shoots down your premise for breeding totally.

You don't have to have a doctorate in animal genetics to figure that out, and as long as you've been breeding, surely you've at least seen with your own eyes that many of your puppies shed.

According to that logic, you argued yourself out of a reason to breed mutts.

Also, maybe you don't know this, but the health of a litter depends on the individual genetics of the parents being thrown together. So, if you have a cockapoo with a heart defect that you don't know about, and you breed her to a dog that has a genetic carrier for the same defect, your puppies though they are "hybrids" could be born with holes in their hearts.

Good breeders have cardiograms done on the dogs they are breeding. They have their hips and their knees xrayed. They are tested for genetic markers which would indicate that they are carriers for diseases such as Addisons, PHPT, and Von Willebrands.

If you do not do these things, then you are not giving your litters a fighting chance. Just to be clear, I do not know the diseases that plague both spaniels and poodles. BUT, if I was going to combine them, I would know that like the back of my hand.

Do you see how that works? Say you have a poodle with bad knees or hips and you breed it to a spaniel with bad hips or knees, regardless of whether the puppies are mutts or not they will be born with bad hips or knees.

It seems to me that you have not given your breeding program very much thought from the arguments which you have presented.

Just to reiterate, you could be the nicest person in the world. I do not know you personally, and the only thing I can base this post from is your previous post.

However, just because you are nice does not mean that you know how to breed dogs. Even these family "hybrids" that you are bringing into the world deserve as much of a shot as any purebred litter.

You may not agree with me, and that's ok. But I hope that when you read this that it stays with you every time that you bring another litter into the world.

LMPOO

If someone called your house over this thread, that's super creepy. Although, if you do post your number publicly then you do open yourself up.

I'd like to comment since Fran says it's ok and its her thread:

First off, when you play god with the genetics of another species, then it's your responsibility to do things to the absolute best of your ability and it is MY opinion that you are not doing that.

In my opinion, every decision to put two animals together to breed should be carefully researched on every level: structurally, genetically, and regarding also temperment/working ability of the parents.

For example, if you put two dogs together who have the same physical flaw, you cannot improve on type. If you are not well schooled in structure, you cannot make that type of decision.

The only way to be well schooled in structure is to compare your dog to other dogs by showing or some other type of venue.

Do you see what I am saying or am I wasting my breath? If YOU are playing GOD with the genetics of another species it is YOUR JOB to make sure that you are making the best decision possible.

Being willfully ignorant of these things is no excuse.

AND, as to your hypoallergenic idea, if you breed a breed that sheds (spaniels) to a breed that doesn't (poodle) you have great chance that the puppies will shed because they are not pure bred, so that shoots down your premise for breeding totally.

You don't have to have a doctorate in animal genetics to figure that out, and as long as you've been breeding, surely you've at least seen with your own eyes that many of your puppies shed.

According to that logic, you argued yourself out of a reason to breed mutts.

Also, maybe you don't know this, but the health of a litter depends on the individual genetics of the parents being thrown together. So, if you have a cockapoo with a heart defect that you don't know about, and you breed her to a dog that has a genetic carrier for the same defect, your puppies though they are "hybrids" could be born with holes in their hearts.

Good breeders have cardiograms done on the dogs they are breeding. They have their hips and their knees xrayed. They are tested for genetic markers which would indicate that they are carriers for diseases such as Addisons, PHPT, and Von Willebrands.

If you do not do these things, then you are not giving your litters a fighting chance. Just to be clear, I do not know the diseases that plague both spaniels and poodles. BUT, if I was going to combine them, I would know that like the back of my hand.

Do you see how that works? Say you have a poodle with bad knees or hips and you breed it to a spaniel with bad hips or knees, regardless of whether the puppies are mutts or not they will be born with bad hips or knees.

It seems to me that you have not given your breeding program very much thought from the arguments which you have presented.

Just to reiterate, you could be the nicest person in the world. I do not know you personally, and the only thing I can base this post from is your previous post.

However, just because you are nice does not mean that you know how to breed dogs. Even these family "hybrids" that you are bringing into the world deserve as much of a shot as any purebred litter.

You may not agree with me, and that's ok. But I hope that when you read this that it stays with you every time that you bring another litter into the world.
My phone number is posted for potential buyers, heck it is in the phone book. Is yours? I guess you are opening yourself up, hmm!

You seriously took my words way out of text. By diminishing health problems I am referring to ear infections, allergies and so on. I do test each and every one of my breeding dogs. We have the hips, patella's (knees) and eyes tested. All of my dogs are seen by our vet an a regular basis. I would NEVER breed a dog with a heart defect or any illness for that matter. Why you feel the need to bash my breeding program is unclear but you need to stop.

There is no need for you to talk to me as though I am an idiot when clearly you do not know what you are talking about. I have 28 years experience with dogs including the show ring, and the two years I spent as a vet tech.

You really need to stop with your slander comments and mind your own.

I am very glad my customer was happy enough to refer me but there was no need for my breeding program and ethics to be questioned and picked apart and really distorted.

If you have any further comments or questions, please send me a personal email.

I did contact the police in regards to the three threatening phone calls.

Toller_08

I don't have a comment as to the other conversation going on, but regarding the original topic...

My relationship with the Dobes' breeder is wonderful. I consider her to be one of my very, very best friends. I love her and wish all breeders cared about their owners and dogs like she does.

I feel that it is very important for me to get along well and have a good relationship with a breeder. Perhaps not everyone feels that way, and that's fine, but I want breeder support for the life of my dog... and even better if that breeder turns out to be a friend, though that's just an added bonus.

Nope, I will not buy a dog from a breeder who I don't click with. There's a Toller breeder here in Alberta, whose breeding program is about as perfect as they come IMO, but she and I don't click at all and so I won't have a dog from her ever.

My relationship with Dance's breeder is rocky. The first year wasn't good, then things got better and I really enjoyed training and whatnot with her and getting to know her a bit. Things are pretty bad now, and once Dance's contract is fulfilled, that'll be the end of my relationship with her. Well, except for updating her a bit on Dance's life here and there as a good owner should and still being friendly to her at shows. Aside from that, I'm done.

My search for my next ideal breeder is going to be long and hard. I don't want to put up with the stuff I've already had to again, and I'm going to make absolutely sure my next Toller comes from the best possible breeder I can find that meets my standards. Even if that means I have to import the dog... which is a very likely option. Good thing I don't want another dog until Dance is at least 6 or 7 years old, so I have a while to find somebody.

Last edited:

BostonBanker

No breeder with Meg, but we had a wonderful relationship with Medley's breeder throughout his entire 15 years. Some of it was probably luck - I have no idea how much my parents actually researched at the time (I was ten when we got him). A lot of it was probably because with the breed (Bedlington Terriers), there aren't a lot of random people breeding them. The breeder we used bred dogs with championships, they were health tested (hips, eyes, and vWD, according to the papers we still have). She was wonderful about answering our questions, sent along photos of Medley's relatives occasionally, and always sent nice letters at Christmas time, even when she went into assisted living (I remember thinking she looked to be 100 when we went to pick him up; I can't believe she outlived Medley!). She did recommend Eukanuba, but that was also 20 years ago; I have no idea how much knowledge there was about diet at the time.

I will be looking for something very different in my next dog/breeder, but for a young family buying their first dog, we couldn't have asked for a better experience.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I will also add that Mia's breeder did a FANTASTIC job matching the right dog and personality to me and my current dog. Mia wasn't the pup I initially inquired about (too young for me) but she's a perfect match. Brains, beauty, energy, athleticism, confidence... couldn't ask for a better pup.

sammgirl

ACoops favorite
I didn't call your house if you think it's me. I enjoy debating, but that's about as far as it goes.

Sorry if you were offended. You didn't mentioned that you had show ring experience, or that you health tested. I was just going off what you posted.

As for your breeding program, if the dogs you use have CH titles and are genetically tested, then I have no issue.

I would enjoy seeing pictures of your dogs and would like to hear your show brag stories. :) I was trying to get back into the ring myself, so I enjoy talking about that aspect of dog ownership.

bubbatd

Back to the original question : My first Golden was from Conn . so only letters back and forth from Quebec .My 2nd was an older pup who didn't make the grade in the show ring , so sold to me .No testing for HD back then and he had it ! My next 2 were sibs ( Rufus and Penny )from a lady who only bred once to a Champ Golden and it was his owner who became my mentor . Max helped me train and show Rufus and I bought a female from him and started my Hawthorn Hills line . He and his wife had a great line ....winning in show/obedience and field work . We were very close and it was there I boarded my Golden when away . They were very serious about good breeding ... they had nice kennels and runs , but all were house dogs when Max and Mary were home . Litter were no more than every 2 years or so .

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
:yikes:The breeder I was going to get my puppy from swore by Eukenuba, and quite frankly she's about as good as they come. She's like Mia's breeder in that she's not Ms. I-want-to-be-best-friends, but she's a good lady.

I agree with the other posters. I don't think I'd ever take advice from someone who I viewed as unethical, and for me, the breeding of mixed breeds is unethical, on top of the fact that the person also has poor practices regarding health guarentees.

Only one year for genetic issues? What if the puppy has hip displasia?? That's as genetic as it comes and frankly, even if a dog comes down with hip displasia at 2 is a tragedy, IMHO.

Definitely not someone I'd want to mentor me.

This is just my opinion, and you can take it with a grain of salt.

I agree.

Amstaffer

Just curious :)

whats your relationship with them like?

how important do you think your relationship is?

would you buy a dog you like from a breeder you don't really "click" with?
With Athena (rescue not breeder) I stayed in touch and gave updates via email. I stopped by a couple of times during Athena's life. The rescue loved Athena's mom so much she actually kept her.

With Sal I continue to keep in touch with his breeder, she was one of my first "Friends" on Facebook. I have met her at a couple of shows. I usually remember to send Sal's mom and dad e-cards on Mothers/Fathers day :p

I think the relationship is important especially if you are new to dogs or the dog breed.

Would I buy a dog from a breeder I didn't click with? Well I don't have to like the breeder personally, but I do have to like their philosophy and ethics on breeding. I would buy a puppy from a jerk as long as that "jerk" health screened, worked their dogs or trained them, and had a set up that encouraged physical and mental health.

vmills

SimAlvin
It is creepy that the breeder received threatening phone calls

I posted an endorsement of the second breeder mentioned in my post because I believe she deserved credit for her efforts to provide excellent service.

I never ever thought she would receive threatening phone calls because of it. Chazhound is a forum for discussion and information exchange, not a breeding (pardon the pun) ground for hate mail and harassing phone calls.

My sincere apologies to the breeder for the poor behavior of a few people who do not understand the purpose of a forum.

Amstaffer

calling anyone on a message board unless you have permission IMHO is creepy.

Royal Canin is terrible dog food to me. Any dog food that skill has Corn or wheat gluten in it is just not acceptable.

Breeding mixed breeds is usually wrong to me but I think that if you have homes set up a head of time and the parents are health screened and there is a purpose it can be ok. The problem is that most mixed breeders are ByBers or Puppy millers. I know of some breeding programs that are for specific purpose or sports that are high quality but that is rare.

SpringerLover

I have zero relationship with Buzz's breeder. He's a BYB kiddo, but oddly enough we go to agility very close to where his breeder lives. Haha.

Bailey's breeder and I have a rocky and interesting relationship. I send him updates a couple times a year, but I never see him at shows or anywhere really. She had her hips xrayed by him, because I wanted him to see them and her. I see her sire's breeder/owner more than I see HER breeder. I am good friends with and track with her half sister's owner/breeder, and I'm a casual acquaintance with her other half sister's owner. I wish we had a better relationship, but alas, we don't.

I have a far better relationship with my toller breeder friends than I do with either of my dogs' breeders.

mmorlino

Hi guy - totally new here. Signed up just to respond to this post :)

I'm a dachshund breeder and I feed raw. I just started 2 months ago, but am loving it so far. I recommend to every one and explain, to the best of my ability, the pros of it.

I also test for cord 1 PRA, CERF, and patellas.

And, of course, all of my puppies are sent home microchipped (totally free of charge!) and with me listed as the secondary contact.

I have a Facebook account that helps to keep me in contact with a lot of my customers. And, of course, I send Christmas cards out and am always here for my puppy buyers!

YodelDogs

I have actually only purchased 2 dogs in my lifetime, a Pomeranian and my first show Basenji. I never saw or heard from the Pom's breeder after I bought the dog. I tried to stay in contact with my Basenji's breeder but she had no interest. Every other dog I have ever had then has been free, from a shelter, or (mostly) dogs I have bred myself. I try to stay in touch with my buyers and I hear from many of them very regularly.

When I am ready to actually buy a puppy, I will not buy from a breeder whose ethics are questionable. I will also never buy from a breeder with whom I could not maintain a relationship with. I absolutely love to get photos and emails from my buyers and I want to share the joy of my own new puppy with it's breeder.

Members online

No members online now.