The whiny puppy

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I need some tips about how to discourage crying in the playpen and kennel. Mia is the loudest pup I have had, she can scream really well. It's really my only problem with her. Of course I'm waiting her out but she just cries and cries when I put her up right now. I would like it to be better when I get to my apartment.

lizzybeth727

Is she whining to let you know she needs something, or is she just crying because she doesn't want to be stuck in there?

If it's the first, I might have a trick.

If it's the second, waiting it out is the only thing you can do. And make sure you don't do much as enter the room when she's crying.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Is she whining to let you know she needs something, or is she just crying because she doesn't want to be stuck in there?

If it's the first, I might have a trick.

If it's the second, waiting it out is the only thing you can do. And make sure you don't do much as enter the room when she's crying.
Yep, it's the second. I just timed her and it was 15 minutes of strong crying now she's just yapping every now and then.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I think Lincoln and Mia were seperated at birth....

I have no ideas, but let me know what works for you... I have noticed lately as he gets older that being fed more often and more play time out of crate helps.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
So far I think it's helping a bit to ignore her. I was so excited about 2 minutes after putting her down to sleep, she stopped. But then about 15 minutes later she started up again and went on and off for about 30 minutes. But hey, it beats the 45 minutes of straight crying she did the day before.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Maybe some keepherbusy toys? frozen kong, etc..
many people suggest a sweater that smells like you

Other than that, i dunno lol I think ignoring is the only thing that you can really do without inforcing the behavior

GoingNowhere

My foster puppy was a loud one. He's finally quieting down overnight (but he goes home tonight!)

I originally had his crate situated in the laundry room - a big crate, roomy enough for Boo. It started to get in the way, so we moved it to the kitchen and his crying hushed up a lot. Being able to see Boo overnight and not being stuck in a corner seemed to help. Is Mia able to see the other dogs while she's in her crate?

Second, I would give my foster a kong every night with his kibble on the inside and a milk bone w/ peanut butter to close it up. Gave him something to do for at least the first 10 minutes or so, until we could escape upstairs. Of course, the crying would start after he was done, but by then, the house was otherwise quiet, so he wasn't hearing us walking around.

Lastly, we've lately been giving him a bone to chew on each night. You'll have to decide whether to go with this one, because bones technically shouldn't be left with a dog while unsupervised, but my thought is that if it's large enough and thick enough (these are natural bones big enough for a shepherd or retriever sized dog to safely chew), he isn't going to be able to splinter it with his little puppy teeth. These shut him up longer, because he never really "finishes" the bone.

Also, I often feed him in his crate and he now will go in there to sleep if the door is open. I think it's turning into a love-hate relationship... he gets his favorite things while in there, but also his least favorite thing, being away from us.

Good luck!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Haha, today we're doing a lot better. She's finally decided screaming isn't going to help the situation at all. Now she's down to a couple of whines when I put her away and she shuts up in a few minutes.

Yay, it's working! :D

yes.. just like humans.. its feels great when you see they've been giving out positive response on everything that you taught them.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
with jasper i had to move him closer to the bed then slowly move his crate away...

he still wont be in his crate quitely during the day though...

Members online

No members online now.