Potty Training Issues?

corgi_love

Kyrie is a year old now and still pees in the house sometimes. I'm so confused, how on earth do I fix this?

I take them out 4 times a day just for potty breaks and the other day, Kyrie jumped on my FABRIC couch, just layed there and peed herself(and it got on Travis). My couch was SOAKED. I had to wash the cover and wash the foamy inside and it's been drying for like 4 days so I only have half a couch.

Travis is getting really sick of her :/ I don't blame him, but I don't want it to get to the point where he doesn't want her around anymore. (Also keep in mind she had a bladder infection for the first FOUR months we had her, so she would just pee in the house 3-4 times a day because we couldn't get her out in time, so we've essentially been cleaning her urine non-stop, we are VERY tired of it by now)

I feel like I'm doing everything I need to so she doesn't pee in the house but I feel so helpless. Is it because she is still young? Or is there some other issue there?

I know she has cleanlyness issues, which is terrible but I'm dealing. However her peeing is driving us both mad. She has an accident once every 2-3 weeks or so.

I've NEVER had such potty-training issues with a dog before :(

What do I do? Is there anything I can do? Is she somehow still learning?

T

tessa_s212

It sounds like it is an accident, not that she's doing it on purpose. Actually, it sounds like an incontinence issue.

My suggestion is a trip to the vet to just make sure there isn't a reason for the increased urination and incontinence.

And of course, if it is behavioral,.. treat her like she's an 8 week old puppy and start all over.

corgi_love

Grammy- Yeah, it really is driving us nuts!

Tessa- I'm stupid, can you explain what an incontinence issue is?

Thanks so much, I may just restart like suggested.

T

tessa_s212

Leaking urine unwillingly.
Yup, this^^^

Usually it is something that happens in older dogs... but it isn't impossible to happen in younger. Or sometimes can be a symptom of a urinary tract infection or other things that can be medically treated.

By the way you described her jumping onto the couch, laying, and "leaking", it just sounded to me like she wasn't even aware her bladder was releasing itself, and then was surprised when it did.

corgi_love

Yup, this^^^

Usually it is something that happens in older dogs... but it isn't impossible to happen in younger. Or sometimes can be a symptom of a urinary tract infection or other things that can be medically treated.

By the way you described her jumping onto the couch, laying, and "leaking", it just sounded to me like she wasn't even aware her bladder was releasing itself, and then was surprised when it did.
Alright, I'll definitely get her checked out by the vet then. Thanks!

Oh and it was not a leak on the couch, she let out her entire bladder. I didn't see, but what I think happened was she sat up, then peed, then layed back down. But I didn't see it happen, Travis told me but I don't think he was watching her directly, so I don't know. When I looked over afterwards she was sitting up.

lizzybeth727

Oh and it was not a leak on the couch, she let out her entire bladder.
If she had that much in her bladder, then maybe it's a sign that she's not going outside often enough. Luna was just over a year old when I got her, and not potty trained at all.... I took her out at least 6 times a day on the days I was home. 4 times a day sounds like a lot, but if they're being active they'll probably need to go out more than that.

Although, I do agree that it could be a medical issue. Is she spayed?

Members online

No members online now.