Transport/Rescue Help

xpaeanx

I had tried to get a transport going a while ago without any luck, and I would like to do it again.

It seems like there are LOTS of puppies in the southern states that end up being put to sleep. I would like to start a "transport" to rescue a couple of them and bring them to me, where I will foster and adopt them out.

I need people who will be willing to pull puppies and also people who are willing to transport. If I can get something going, I would like to try the first few times with 1 or 2 small breed dogs.

Is there anyone willing to help me?

Right now, I can drive out Fridays and Sundays to the NY/PA border to pick them up.

CaliTerp07

I could probably do a Virginia to the MD/PA border run. Someone would just have to do PA to close the loop.

How far south are you looking? I mean, I know of a handful of kill shelters in VA/MD, but are you trying to go further? Also, this is me being really naive...but why? If there are animals being put down in my own backyard, why would I go 500 miles out of the way to rescue a different one? Is it more of a "find the most adoptable animals, wherever they are" kind of thing? Or are there no dogs being put down near you in NY?

xpaeanx

NY(at least Long Island) doesn't the same over population problems that other parts of the country has. Our shelters house mostly adult pitbulls with some other random adult dogs mixed in. Most of these "other" dogs have behavioural issues of some kind, and a lot of people just won't adopt a pitbull. I'm not saying that any of these dogs are "bad," they're just not highly adoptable. Also, except for some of the shelters in NYC a lot of the "kill" shelters out here will give the dog(if considered adoptable) close to a year to be adopted before being put to sleep. There are very rarely puppies for adoption on Long Island and those that are available usually either came from NSAL(this place is HORRIBLE) or are resells on craigslist.

So if I had the chance to save a puppy's life, and provide a family with a young dog that would otherwise not be able to find one on Long Island why would I not?

And as far as what state or shelter the pup comes from... I'm not really concerned about that. I just want to make sure that it's one that would otherwise be PTS.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Cali, XP, if you needed help pulling/housing pups for short periods of time (2 weeks TOPS - my mother gets attached) I can. :)

Well Im pretty close to you but anything I can do I would be willing to do.

And if you find a female yorkie I may just steal her from you.

xpaeanx

nolu that would be great!

poodle, I'm sure there will be someway you can help! :)

If this works out, I may consider signing up with petfinder... in which case, I would be more than happy to post listings for any other Chaz fosters.

Members online

No members online now.