Aggression, NEED HELP!

Doberluv

That's so right on Redyre.

One time my boyfriend was saying good bye to me and gave me a hug and then tickled me something awful. I HATE to be tickled. Lyric was lying down my Bonnie, my Lab at the time. I shreaked, screamed and wrenched myself from the tickling. Lyric stood up, left Bonnie and came closer and sat there next to us and watched. He never made a move....just watched with a little look of concern, ears up, alert. When I started giggling mixed in with my shreaking, he wagged his tail, stuck his rear up and looked like he'd like to play too. He didn't rush right in without assessing the situation. No telling what he'd do for sure, if someone was hurting me. But I sure as heck wouldn't want a dog to misinterpret any kind of rough play and go bite someone. Bonnie, the Lab just lay there like, "So what. She's being tickled." LOL.

So hopefully you'll change your mind about thinking that it's cool for your dog to act like that. It's one thing to watch and assess and determine, but quite another to fly off the handle and make a mistake like that. A good protection dog is smarter than that and takes cues from his leader.

Aggression does not equal protection. Aggression generally equals nerves, insecurity, fear, and lack of control.
Absolutely true.

filarotten

Fila the love
RedyreRottweilers said:
The best protection dogs are quiet easy going friendly dogs who have been very well socialized.

Aggression does not equal protection. Aggression generally equals nerves, insecurity, fear, and lack of control.

I so agree. Dogs should know the difference between humans playing and a serious situation. Mine usually sit there watching, then start wagging their tails wanting to play. They know we are only playing.

IMO, The best protection dogs are very confident and secure individuals. They have no fear as they have nothing to fear. They will study a situation, they may react as being on guard, if necessary, but will not attack unless there is an actual threat. This is where heavy socialization and training is important.

Members online

No members online now.