Barking Please help

I have a puppy who is 6 months old and his barking is out of control. If I leave my apartment he barks the entire time. I fear his barking is going to get me evicted and I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice of what I can do to stop this. About a month ago I bought this collar that sprays a citronells scent every time he barks but it's not stopping him and I spent a over 100 dollars on it. I can't stay in my apartment all the time I need to go out for groceries and stuff. Please help.
Thanks

lizzybeth727

It's very possible this could be a separation anxiety problem - where dogs literally have a panic attack the whole time they're left alone. If that is the case, using aversives to stop the barking will only make the separation anxiety worse.... you would only be trying to stop the symptoms, not the underlying problem. I'd suggest searching this forum or the internet for info on separation anxiety, and also get a trainer/behaviorist to evaluate your specific situation to determine if it is actually SA, and write up a plan to help fix it.

After reading a bit of info on the seperation anxiety I think you may be right. It's does fit. Now I feel bad for the poor little guy. I'm going to call my vet on Monday and see if he can help or refer me to someone who can. Thank you very much for the help.

I like to see people refer to the APDT as Lizzybeth727 just did, as those are trainers -- from many parts of the world -- who are using positive training methods. They do vary a lot in how they define the term, though, so ask questions to find someone you can work with if you go that route. Best wishes!

Hillside

Original Twin
It's very possible this could be a separation anxiety problem - where dogs literally have a panic attack the whole time they're left alone. If that is the case, using aversives to stop the barking will only make the separation anxiety worse.... you would only be trying to stop the symptoms, not the underlying problem. I'd suggest searching this forum or the internet for info on separation anxiety, and also get a trainer/behaviorist to evaluate your specific situation to determine if it is actually SA, and write up a plan to help fix it.
Der on my part. Maybe I should post when I am actually awake. ;)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Der on my part. Maybe I should post when I am actually awake. ;)
amen,,, my neighbor's jack russel now barks several octaves higher, but barks none the less. I know it hasn't had the vocal cords snipped becuase it can bark regularly too. they go out of town and shove the dog outside for a night or two. SHeesh. CAn u find a sitter?

Members online

No members online now.