Tail Biting...possibly due to fleas

H

HarleyD

Ok. We just noticed that Cocoa has some scabs on the top part of his tail close to the base (near the back). It's not bloody, raw, red or infected looking. It looks kind of like a combination of dry skin and possibly some oily residue or puss (it's got a greenish/yellow tint to the dried scab).
He nips the top of his butt/base of his tail sometimes. Not alot, but very fervently when he does it. Could it be that fleas congregate there and bug him so he nips at them? We've sprayed the house, washed them with flea shampoo, bleach/water mix *supposed to kill fleas immediately*, sprayed them with Hartz 3 in 1 Dog Spray AND *until last month or two* put Flea drops down their back (advantix? I think). The yard has also been bug sprayed. What is the deal???:confused:

H

HarleyD

Let me be more specific. It was a bathtub full of water with a capful of bleach. The cap is the size of a 20 oz bottles lid. It isn't like I bleached the dogs or anything. Lots of fleas died and fell off and the dogs had no adverse reaction to it.

Yes, there is a little flea dirt. I've seen fleas, usually after I've sprayed them with the 3 in 1 spray or while I'm shampooing them.

H

HarleyD

we're gonna have to do something cause this is getting ridiculous. he keeps nipping right above his tail and now he's got pinky/red skin and places where he's nipped the scabs off. That's the ONLY place he does this at though. This evening I gave him a combination flea shampoo and oatmeal shampoo bath. Hoping this will hold him til we can get to the vet next week.

ACooper

Base of the tail is a BIG hang out for fleas aparently. That is where my vet checks ours with his little flea egg comb when they get their physical :)

Even just using a little bleach in the dogs bath probably isn't a good idea because it can/will dry the dogs skin out terribly. I know from cleaning with a little bleach water that if I don't use the rubber gloves that my hands feel HORRIBLE! AND please check out Hartz information online........you may want to steer clear of them.

Since you have bathed them now in a flea shampoo, I would get some doggie hydrocortisone spray it is anti-itch and MIGHT help till you get to the vet. You can also get some bitter apple spray and put a little on, it tastes REALLY bad to most dogs and might help him leave it alone. Both of these things are sold nearly anywhere they sell dog supplies.

EDIT: Forgot to say, vacuum vacuum and more vacuuming and remember to wash and clean all the bedding too, a flea shampoo won't help for long if the dog goes right back where there are eggs and/or more fleas.

H

HarleyD

We've been vaccuming daily and have sprayed the couches, bedding, our bed, carpet and blankets down. What's wrong with the Hartz spray? I know it had a warning on it about not getting it in your mouth or you could develop colinergic symptoms (sp?). They haven't had any of the symptoms though. Just won't stop itching/nipping/scratching.

Members online