Which dog breed barks the least?

dogmation

I know barking is a matter of training, home environment, etc. but I want to start with a dog breed that is less likely to bark than the others. Who's the most peaceful, relaxed, NON-BARKING dog breed you know? :) Thank you.

mrose_s

BusterLove
i think besenji's are the breed that bark little to none. (but i'm not 100%)

steer clear of ACD's lol. Harry just loves the sound of his own voice.

Busters ACD/kelpie but he rarley makes a sound, we think he may be part dingo and that would explain it.

hide98

Old English Lover
It's true that basenjis don't bark, but they make a ton of different noises, howls, yodels, chodels, screams and lots more because of their larynx's unusual shape. They also love to imitate sounds so if you have other dogs they can learn to make bark noises and they love to sing along with you. So while they are bark-free, they are definitely not noise-free

Last edited:
Besides the stuffed dog. Look up the best watch dog breeds... then avoid them!

Some hounds tend not to bark a lot but when they do, the sound they make is loud, and.... horrific in the suburbs! Also take note of how they bark!

The saint Bernard and the newfies I've met do bark, but at a slow pace with a very deep bark. Our cocker on the other hand has a rapid fire barking that could go on forever.

A bloodhound seems to be at the top of the not barking list, but they can be quite a handful, make sure they also fit your lifestyle as well as ears. Me? I got a cattle dog, but I have a zero barking policy to keep it to a minimum through a variety of methods. It almost works ;)

RD

Are you dead yet?
In terms of decibels, I've found working border collies to be pretty quiet. My girl is 8 months old and I've only ever heard one genuine bark from her. One! But admittedly I'm not sure if this is a breed thing or an Eve thing, because my other BC is a freakin' loudmouth.

I've found Whippets and Greyhounds to be very quiet dogs.

basi

It is partly true about basenjis not barking but they can give a one off single cough type bark. Like someone else said they are far from being mute especially if you have more than one as they can start each other off. One of mine will sing to you if so ask him lol.

mrose_s

BusterLove
actually, i hear bullmastiffs were quiet aswell. as they were bred to quietly approach the person that they were defending against. again, no experience in that breed.

i didn't know that about besenji's. their pretty awesome little dogs

EbonyDal

Spot the Difference!
My dals rarely bark; if they do its because there are people at the door or at the back fence if the dogs are outside playing; but they bark to alert me and then quit. But my dachshund loves the sound of his own voice, takes his job as house weiner watchdog seriously and tells me all about every bug that flies into the house, every shadow on the carpet, and every noise he hears. And he is not a big talker compared to some dachshunds! He rarely bays and does not, like some I have had, howl at everything.

Dekka

Just try me..
Troll Troll Troll! everybody its a troll!

(basenji's can be really noisy, but its not barking)

klaker

Ok, I'll bite. How can you tell if someone is a troll?

On the note of this post my dachshund and cocker spanial bark every time the wind blows. There are days when I want to throw them out the window.

Dekka

Just try me..
This person posts all these questions, (and they seem to own more dogs than a small shelter..) and never comes back to the post they started.

Sush

Yeah I caught on to this one a while ago...legit questions...but why? I'm over giving advice to someone who never reads it. Sad Sad Sad

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
According to a thread in the health section it's for their 'clients' but people found plagiarized info off their site.. Now stolen pics..

bubbatd

Waht's so sad , is that a new person comes in with a question and you want to help them . Many posts and threads later , you realize it's a troll . Then a legit noobie ( and young ) comes in and we question it . Unfortunately we never know in the beginning . It's such a waste of most of us time .

I don't believe anyone can tell you what breeds do not bark, for as far as i know. Yami and Zelda are fairly the same type of dog, and Yami barks close to none. Zelda is a talker. I think it all depends on their personality.

Bob4eva

CrAbS 4 WoRlD dOmInAtIoN!
Yay! ITS....

Da na na na na na na na !
Da na na na na na na na!

TROLLMAN! :spam:

Trolls make the baby jesus laugh. :p

How about this ones?

A DS and a copy of nintendogs, if you don't what them to bark turn down the volume on your DS. ;) :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.