Harness

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
I need harness suggestions for Pentti. I usually have my guys wear fabric martingales while out and about, but with TDI they are not allowed while on visits. So I'm still paranoid that he could try to back out of a collar if something weird/unforeseen happens, and therefore thinking a harness might be the right way to do.

We have the Gentler Leader Easy Walk, but we obviously can't use that since it's considered a training aide. And I don't really like the regular nylon ones you find in Petco/Petsmart (doesn't work well with the fur), and would like something a bit more custom (even the GL one doesn't quite fit right). Any suggestions?

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
The ruffwear webmaster is nice to an extent for therapy work as clients can hold on to it while petting. Downside is it takes away a lot of petting space.

The Julius k9 ones are nice too and a vest style and have the same sort of advantage of the handle like the webmaster but with more space for petting.

Then there's the cheaper, light, comfortflex. This one is my personal favourite for therapy work. As its light and she can move well in it as its comfortable for her but has a handle to still help lift her and such.

Saeleofu

Does TDI let you use a harness? I do think it's stupid they don't allow martingales, since for some dogs (sighthounds, collies, etc) they can EASILY slip out since their neck is bigger than their head. They let greyhounds not sit, and yet don;t allow martingales. Stupid.

Anyway...I could make you one :rofl1: But I have several people in front of you in line, and I'm not sure how quickly you're looking to get one.

DJEtzel could probably make you whatever sort of harness you want. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fraggle-Rock-Collars/265012176860095.

ETA: I see DJEtzel already posted, now :rofl1:

Finkie_Mom

I sort of need one like ASAP as we should hopefully be starting work next weekend. I didn't expect to begin this soon, otherwise I would have gotten this figured out sooner LOL.

The TDI handbook only says flat-buckle collar or harness can be worn on visits, and that "Training collars, training harnesses, halties, or any other corrective training devices are not permitted." So I dunno.

ETA - I agree with you on the martingale thing, Safelou... TBH, you can pretty easily tell even with a martingale if a dog is walking loose leash or not. So yeah. Not sure why they aren't allowed. I know for the CGC martingales are permitted (Pen took his CGC with one), so I'm not quite sure why it is the way it is. Unless there is something I'm missing? And the collar is covered by the required bandana anyway :p

ETA part 2 - MandyPug, do you have a specific type of Julius harness you like? I do also like Comfortflex - have one of their limited slip collars and it gets used constantly. It's Kimma's go-to agility one for classes and training :)

Last edited:

Finkie_Mom

Haha yeah, I know there are people here who make nice collars/harnesses and that there are also TONS to choose from on Etsy. I'm just in a hurry :p

Plus I like the idea of something with a bit more padding so that it won't mess with his coat too much. I know that limits my options a bit... :/

DJEtzel

Haha yeah, I know there are people here who make nice collars/harnesses and that there are also TONS to choose from on Etsy. I'm just in a hurry :p

Plus I like the idea of something with a bit more padding so that it won't mess with his coat too much. I know that limits my options a bit... :/
The schedule is the hardest part. You may have to scan etsy for premades that will fit him AND most of what you're looking for. :/

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
For harnesses, I've been eying the Walkeez (available through Clean Run) and Alpine Outfitters' Urban Trail Harness (just google Alpine Outfitters). Both are fleece lined, allow free shoulder movement, and are well made according to friends' feedback on the Walkeez and personal experience on the UTH.

Finkie_Mom

The schedule is the hardest part. You may have to scan etsy for premades that will fit him AND most of what you're looking for. :/
I know! I'm just striking out all over LOL. I'm hoping to get something ordered by tomorrow, so it can ship early next week.

I mean, I'm pretty sure he would be just fine in a regular collar (he was perfectly fine during the test and everything), but there would always just be that fear in the back of my mind. And while his recall is pretty good, I'd rather just be safe than sorry.

DJEtzel

Are there any specialty dog shops in your area locally that might have something a little nicer/better than the chain store's selection?

Finkie_Mom

For harnesses, I've been eying the Walkeez (available through Clean Run) and Alpine Outfitters' Urban Trail Harness (just google Alpine Outfitters). Both are fleece lined, allow free shoulder movement, and are well made according to friends' feedback on the Walkeez and personal experience on the UTH.
Ohhh I like the Walkeez, and really like the UTH, but I think the UTH would take too much time... Wish Cleanrun had better colors for the Walkeez, though... I just want all black :)

Finkie_Mom

Are there any specialty dog shops in your area locally that might have something a little nicer/better than the chain store's selection?
The only other stuff I've seen has been Lupine, and while I like Lupine collars, I don't like that material for a harness, if that makes sense. I can try some more places maybe tomorrow, but there aren't a whole lot of options around here for that sort of thing it seems. I also have like no time to try to find things, so that's also a kicker :p

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
ETA part 2 - MandyPug, do you have a specific type of Julius harness you like? I do also like Comfortflex - have one of their limited slip collars and it gets used constantly. It's Kimma's go-to agility one for classes and training :)
Have the IDC power harness. The patches are cool too and cheap.

I do prefer the comfortflex simply because its lighter and less bulky though.

katielou

Slave to the Aussie

Saeleofu

Sometimes Petco has padded harnesses. They're not fancy, but they may work at least temporarily. Gavroche has an Easy Rider harness that I LOVE. It's super easy to use for walking or in the car, and it's padded in fleece. Really, the only harness that I've actually liked for Gavroche.

Finkie_Mom

OK well I just ordered the Comfortflex. It seems like the best option for us, and I like that it's lighter and not QUITE as expensive (versus the Julius or some others). Maybe as we get more in to therapy work I will order a more "sturdy" harness, but for now (and in a pinch!) I think this might work.

Thank you all for your advice :D

DenoLo

We just use a Lupine for therapy and everyday use. Only because she lets Lucy chew it. And I like the guarantee.

JacksonsMom

We've tried a lot of different harnesses. We use different ones for different reasons. I still haven't really found the 'perfect' harness that works for EVERY situation. I'll write up a few reviews, so I can copy/paste this in the future, lol. There's always harness threads that pop up.

Puppia mesh harnesses are our go-to. Every time I try to find something better, or different, we still tend to use them the most. They're super easy to put on, their comfortable for him, and they're cute and come in many different colors. My only complaint is it sometimes seems like it may be too hot for summer (but honestly, he's worn them every summer, and it's never seemed to have been an issue) and they're not good for the beach (sand tends to get stuck to them). They're easy to wash though. And the neck is not adjustable on the regular ones, but the medium fits Jackson pretty well. I was considering trying the Sure Fit version of the Puppia though, because it has slipped over his head once before when I pulled it at a weird angle.

ComfortFlex. I like that it's super easy to put on. The material is comfy and easy for him to move in. I don't like that the width is so big, even for the smaller sizes, and the d-ring is HUGE and like, dangles on his back. So when he runs... it hits him on his back, lol. We used it sometimes for agility though, and we've used it at the beach too.

EzyDog Quick Fit. Again, super quick to put on. It seems comfortable for him. I like the neoprene material on it -- good for water activities. It sits up a bit too high on the chest for my liking (still causing some choking when pulled) and I don't like the placement of the buckle (I always have to be careful not to pinch him). I can't get a great fit on it.

ChokeFree Leather Harness. I don't use this one very much anymore, but I do really like it. It looks classy, it fits him good, and it's somewhat easy to adjust. It is velcro, but it's impossible to to get out of, because of the way the d-ring has to go through the hole when the leash is on. It's fairly thin leather, which I like.

Members online