12yo needs an Ipad for school?

LindaJD

That's why school taxes are so high, something I hate paying, because I don't have kids, I for use the schools why should I have to pay for them?
Look at it this way, the better the school system in your town is, the higher value your house is. I hate a lot of things my tax dollars go to, but that isn't one of them.

Saeleofu

That's why school taxes are so high, something I hate paying, because I don't have kids, I for use the schools why should I have to pay for them?
That's quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I don't have kids either, and I pay education taxes with NO resentment because I want - no, NEED - future generations to be educated.

Saeleofu

haha that's better than me, in the past 3 months I've put mine through the dryer and left it on a city bus...

and I don't think it's silly for a kid to have an iphone... I mean it's a simple camera, has lots of games, good for emergency contact... eh if you can afford it (or they're free, lucky bum!) then why not?

BTW your Oregon Trail is incredibly old school, the one we played looked like this:
Mine looked like this:

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Mine looked like this:
Poor Nicole lol

We didn't have Oregon Trail at school. We had "where in the world is Carmen Sandiego"

I still remember typing class in elementary school

"quiet aunt zelda"
"willy sits eXams"
"run from vikki to get betty" lol

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Mine looked like this:
Yeah I had the "green" Oregon trail too lol, not familiar with the "new" one.

I think an iPhone is a great phone for a kid, it is easy to use & you can't download any apps unless they are free without a credit card number. I would feel comfortable with my kid having an iPhone, heck I have one myself lol.

Fran27

So apparently she's not even 11 actually, and all the 'cool' kids are taking their Ipad to school. I just can't wrap my head around it.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
We had the green Oregon Trail at school. A couple years later, we had Oregon Trail II (the one Xandra posted) at home lol.

And then Oregon Trail III...

And then there was Amazon Trail which was much cooler anyway ;)

Miakoda

We were the rare family to get a computer in the mid-'80's. In fact, its still in our attic. Lol

My family's first computer was an Apple IIGS. We got it in late 1986 or early '87. The word processor was Bankstreet Writer, which was also what we had in our brand new computer lab at school. It had a hard disk drive and floppy disk drive (both external, if memory serves me correctly). It was....something. LOL. I had a Mother Goose nursery srhyme game (you had to walk around to find Bo Peep's shepherd's crook and whatnot), and I remember it being soooo slow. We had the original Oregon Trail, and that was fun. We had LOTS of educational disks, so that's what we played the most.

Oh, and we also had a printer. It was one of those lovely things that used the paper all attached together with the removable edges with the holes (no idea what it's correct name is). Talk about a mess when you didn't have the paper lined up perfectly in the printer.

Fran27

We were the rare family to get a computer in the mid-'80's. In fact, its still in our attic. Lol

My family's first computer was an Apple IIGS. We got it in late 1986 or early '87. The word processor was Bankstreet Writer, which was also what we had in our brand new computer lab at school. It had a hard disk drive and floppy disk drive (both external, if memory serves me correctly). It was....something. LOL. I had a Mother Goose nursery srhyme game (you had to walk around to find Bo Peep's shepherd's crook and whatnot), and I remember it being soooo slow. We had the original Oregon Trail, and that was fun. We had LOTS of educational disks, so that's what we played the most.

Oh, and we also had a printer. It was one of those lovely things that used the paper all attached together with the removable edges with the holes (no idea what it's correct name is). Talk about a mess when you didn't have the paper lined up perfectly in the printer.
Same here lol. We actually got a MO5 too. Had to load the game from tapes to be able to play. What a pain in the ass that was.

misfitz

Ruddy Buttinski
I remember Oregon trail, LOL. I don't remember what mine looked like, though.

Our first computer at home was a Commodore 64. That was probably late 80's. It had a keyboard with different 'skins' that you'd put on depending on what game you were playing. I remember a Sesame Street game, and a Barbie game. The Barbie game was so un-feminist LOL - you played as Barbie and you did things like go shopping and call Ken.

In high school I had an Apple IIgs. Does anyone remember the Kings Quest games? Now those were fun.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I remember Oregon trail, LOL. I don't remember what mine looked like, though.

Our first computer at home was a Commodore 64. That was probably late 80's. It had a keyboard with different 'skins' that you'd put on depending on what game you were playing. I remember a Sesame Street game, and a Barbie game. The Barbie game was so un-feminist LOL - you played as Barbie and you did things like go shopping and call Ken.

In high school I had an Apple IIgs. Does anyone remember the Kings Quest games? Now those were fun.
We had a Commodore 64 too! Was there a "loading" scene in the Barbie game where she was driving her pink car? I seem to remember that LOL. We had tons of games, some for kids and some like Archon which was a chess-type game... years ago I downloaded an emulator for Archon because it was such a cool game.

I remember having a major problem when I was in middle school and had to do a report, and we didn't have internet yet, and the library turned up nothing good, and we went through our super old set of encyclopedias at home trying to find enough info to write the paper. We finally called my aunt who had internet and she looked stuff up for me. I spent hours trying to type up my paper on an old typewriter because it had to be typed, and I kept making typos and having to start over. I don't remember what the paper was even about... I just remember it was a horrible experience.
We got a fancy new computer and internet shortly after that.

RBark

Got Floof?
I'm only 29... I don't think I touched a computer until I was like, 22 lol. Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration, we were taught how to type on one. But other than that.. not much else.

Still though, just because that's how I was taught growing up doesn't mean we shouldn't use a better way now. Computers are essential aspects of our life. In fact, after using an Ipad 2 for a while now, I am considering purchasing a bulk of them for all the journeymen technicans and installers in my company. So that's about 50 of them.

We frequently discuss what we should teach our children that has an impact on their future. Being literate and well-spoken are one trait to have. Having a foundation in math is another. But technological literacy is incredibly useful to have. If I do go through with giving out Ipads for the journeymen techs, I probably am going to have quite a headache teaching many of them how to use this.

One of the secretaries in our office is quite good at computer repair and has the technological understanding to figure out and resolve issues on computers, as well as learn new technologies quite a bit faster than everyone else, as well as teach it to them. That is a valuable skill to have as well, and one I pay her well for, even if it's not what I specifically hired her for.

So I don't really see a problem with children using Laptops or Ipads in school. Those are also useful skills to have which will impact their whole lives. There are many employers like me out there who would more readily hire someone for having that skill over someone who doesn't. Of course, I'll add the whole caveat thing where equal access should be had for them, etc etc, no one left behind because they cant afford it, etc.

Members online

No members online now.