Worm infection again :(

Poor little Pompadour was very sick since last week, he got ameobas and parasites from eating bird poop, had a nasty diarrhea with some vomiting, we had a crazy time since vets are closed in the night (no one opens 24 hours not even for emergencies) and for the next morning the vet were we take him was out doing non vet related things so we had to take him to a new vet.

He did help us out, and gave treatment to my boy, the diarrhea stopped and he got better, was on soft food that is ground turkey (cooked) wit some canned hill's i/d , he said the soft food will be for 3 days.

In a blood sample the vet said his iron is low, I guess is from all what happened since normally he gets things like green beans, broccolli, raw chicken liver and heart.

However in last saturday he got diarrhea again, he still had some bird parasites inside him .

We went to the vet again, this time at the clinic there was the vet's office owner attending, and she gave him more shots and another dose of the medicines the previous vet gave, the vet said he has the staring signs of gastritis and low intestinal flora, most likely cause from the parasites.

She put him on bland food again, but to my surprise this vet DOES agree and encourage natural food I was compleatly shocked mostly because this is the first time I talk wit a vet that prefers natural food to kibble.

She did read what the previous vet gave to him, and she said that he didn't need the hill's i/d that I didn't need to spend money on it, that I could made myself food for him using ground chicken, potatoes, chicken liver and white rice.

Then we talked a lot about foods and she say that it was better always to use as natural as possible, she also seems to have a grudge against foods like beneful, we had a great time.

I haven't told her about the raw foods yet, but she does have a open mind...... I just told her about that I agree with her and that I give Pompadour natural food (and some kibble meals)

She also sell earthborn that is what she recommends to her clients wit allergies, since she says many of them are allergic to CORN AND OTHER GRAINS, not to meats!! wee I'm so happy wit her

I also got a bag of the EB since my propac bag was almost gone, Looks like this vet is a keeper.

He is a bit better today, the diarrhea stopped,

He is recovering now, his tummy is still a bit weak so he is still in bland food and he is eating 3 times a day instead of 2 since his tummy can't handle 2.

He has better energy, and the diarrhea is gone.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
That's really awesome that you found a vet with a fairly educated opinion about dog feeding! Hope Senor Pompadour feels better soon!

Doberluv

Poor little Pompadour was very sick since last week, he got ameobas and parasites from eating bird poop, had a nasty diarrhea with some vomiting, we had a crazy time since vets are closed in the night (no one opens 24 hours not even for emergencies) and for the next morning the vet were we take him was out doing non vet related things so we had to take him to a new vet.

He did help us out, and gave treatment to my boy, the diarrhea stopped and he got better, was on soft food that is ground turkey (cooked) wit some canned hill's i/d , he said the soft food will be for 3 days.

In a blood sample the vet said his iron is low, I guess is from all what happened since normally he gets things like green beans, broccolli, raw chicken liver and heart.

However in last saturday he got diarrhea again, he still had some bird parasites inside him .

We went to the vet again, this time at the clinic there was the vet's office owner attending, and she gave him more shots and another dose of the medicines the previous vet gave, the vet said he has the staring signs of gastritis and low intestinal flora, most likely cause from the parasites.

She put him on bland food again, but to my surprise this vet DOES agree and encourage natural food I was compleatly shocked mostly because this is the first time I talk wit a vet that prefers natural food to kibble.

She did read what the previous vet gave to him, and she said that he didn't need the hill's i/d that I didn't need to spend money on it, that I could made myself food for him using ground chicken, potatoes, chicken liver and white rice.

Then we talked a lot about foods and she say that it was better always to use as natural as possible, she also seems to have a grudge against foods like beneful, we had a great time.

I haven't told her about the raw foods yet, but she does have a open mind...... I just told her about that I agree with her and that I give Pompadour natural food (and some kibble meals)

She also sell earthborn that is what she recommends to her clients wit allergies, since she says many of them are allergic to CORN AND OTHER GRAINS, not to meats!! wee I'm so happy wit her

I also got a bag of the EB since my propac bag was almost gone, Looks like this vet is a keeper.

He is a bit better today, the diarrhea stopped,
I'm glad he's getting better. It must be hard to keep him from getting into bird poo, it's so small. I hope you find a way. It's possible he could get something worse. That had to be very stressful and difficult.

I bolded part of your post because I see that those ingredients wouldn't make a complete balance. Bone meal would be missing for one thing, along with some other things. As people have mentioned before, vets know medicine but they don't specialize in nutrition, generally speaking. I would recommend doing more research before starting a home made diet or doing raw. This might be a helpful place to start. You can even consult with this gal. She's very good. I've used her before.http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

Anyhow, I'm very glad your sweet, beautiful Poodle is doing so much better. Best of luck!:)

Glad he is on the mend!
That's really awesome that you found a vet with a fairly educated opinion about dog feeding! Hope Senor Pompadour feels better soon!

I'm glad he's getting better. It must be hard to keep him from getting into bird poo, it's so small. I hope you find a way. It's possible he could get something worse. That had to be very stressful and difficult.

I bolded part of your post because I see that those ingredients wouldn't make a complete balance. Bone meal would be missing for one thing, along with some other things. As people have mentioned before, vets know medicine but they don't specialize in nutrition, generally speaking. I would recommend doing more research before starting a home made diet or doing raw. This might be a helpful place to start. You can even consult with this gal. She's very good. I've used her before.http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

Anyhow, I'm very glad your sweet, beautiful Poodle is doing so much better. Best of luck!:)
Thanks, everyone, we were really worried with him in the middle of the night wit the vomit and the diarrhea.

Good thing I always keep gatoraid and syringes ready, if not he most lickelly couldn't survived the night from the dehydration, my mom also got a saline solution (I think that's the translation) for him in the pharmacy so I was keeping him hydrated until the next day when the vet was open.

I strongly recommend for toy dog owners to always keep gatoraid and syringes at hand in case of any emergency, a few droppings of diarrhea can dehydrate a toy dog fast or get him a hypoglycemic case.

Yes it's really hard to keep track on the birds, mostly when they come everyday, even a pack of parrots come here sometimes, and one time a black vulture puked on the yard.

The diet she told me is just for a few days until his tummy goes back to normal, and slowy introduce his diet back again.

In normal days he gets raw (barf) in the morning and kibble mixed wit cooked meat at night, in the raw meals get at least 3 bone in meat meals, however I still haven't told her about the raw meals yet, only that half of his diet is natural .

But she does look like she is more open minded than all the other vets I have came across, one of them even lectured us that only kibble was good for them... but this was when I was a child and we had Oso the GSD/Husky mix , he was on home cooked and we put him on what was available at stores that was pedigree/dog chow/alpo , he did had bald spots nasty dry hair, pimples and went blind before 10 :( if we only knew then that those brands were nasty.

Thanks for the link, I saw it some years ago but they didn't had many updates, now I see the site has being updated wit more info.

Doberluv

Well, that sounds good. I hope he'll be 100% back to his normal self soon.

I make my own electrolyte solution for myself if I think I need it: I think it would be good for dogs too.

1 liter of water

½ teaspoon baking soda

2 tablespoons agave nectar

½ tablespoon sea salt

Members online

No members online now.