Toller Question

Toller_08

Nope. That's called buff, and it occurs quite a bit, but is not at all desirable and it's a disqualification. The reason being is that buff Tollers can't toll/lure ducks for some reason. The ducks toll for a flashy, bright red coat best.

Tollers also appear in tri-colour as well as sable every so often too. Both of those are equally as undesirable as a buff, though I'm not sure as to why. Those two colours aren't very common at all though.

mrose_s

BusterLove
Wow, thats pretty.

Just chimed in to ask a stupid question, what is "tolling?"
I've always thought of the "retriever" part of the tollers name but its never even occured to me I don't know what the toller bit means.

Toller_08

The Toller is a decoy dog and tolling is a term that means lure. The hunter throws sticks and whatnot toward the shore for the Toller to play with/retrieve, and the playful antics and the dog's appearance intrigue the ducks. They (ducks) move into shore toward the dog, drawn in by curiosity, putting them into ideal shooting range for the hunter. The dog is then sent out to retrieve the dead fowl. :)

CaliTerp07

If anyone has an extra buff toller that they don't want, send it my way!

I don't care if it's typically "desirable", that coloring is beautiful! And since I will never hunt with my dog...I want one :) (Not that the red ones aren't gorgeous...but if there's a homeless blondie, I'll take it in!)

Toller_08

I don't mind some buff Tollers, but many I really don't care for looks wise. They look too washed out to me, or something.

Paige

Let it be
I don't mind some buff Tollers, but many I really don't care for looks wise. They look too washed out to me, or something.
I'm not a big fan of merle border collies. I understand what you're talking about.

Especially with Goldens going blond recently, we don't need buff tollers ;)

The tri and sable must come from the "Collie" influence in the early breed.

There are only 2 videos of tolling on youtube. I think you guys need to take out both colors and confirm that dark red is better.

Members online