Help with new puppy, toileting etc.

Puppy

Bernese Mountain Dog!
hi we got a female bernese mountain dog 1 week ago who is now 10 weeks old. shes been really good and settled in very well. We started doing basic training and she already knows sit, stay, leave it and take it. but the leave it and take it only works for treats and dinner, not for random objects or if she is out in the garden. for example if she gets hold of a feather in the garden she will not leave it when we say and she'll try to eat it.

Her toileting initaly was very good, she always did it on the newspaper by the back door or on the grass in the garden when we said 'go toilet'. but the last few days she hasnt been going outside to eliminate. when we take her outside all she wants to do is play, which is ok but she gets distracted from peeing or pooing. then when we bring her inside about 10 minutes later she has been going in the middle of the kitchen on the same spot. weve bleeched the spot but it doesnt seem to work. we have now taken out soiled newspaper and put it in the spot where she used to go in the garden in hope that she will start using the spot again. we know its early days as weve only had her for a week but it feels like we seem to be going backwords as she was so good at the begining.

We would appreciate any help and advice from anyone.

Kam proud owner of Mya.

Elly

Hi . I am no expert but it seems to me that your pup has had to learn a lot in just a week and maybe is getting confused. She is going outside and inside on paper. Maybe just train her to outside .

At ten weeks that is VERY young and maybe you should just concentrate on the potty training and getting her settled in her new home and get used to things and the training for other things will come a little at a time as time go's by. . They have a very short attention span at that age from what I have read and been told myself.

Maybe if you try crate training her and keeping her in a confined area and not let her have too much space.

Anyway like I said I am no expert and a lot of good advice will be given on this site.Good luck with her.

L

LabBreeder

Definitely do not encourage play time outside when she's supposed to be pottying. Potty first, play time after. I think she's probably getting confused with the inside then outside thing. Train her to go outside only. Take her out every 30 min to an hour, after eating/drinking and after waking up. Don't let her have "free run" of the house either. Keep her attached to you so you know if she has to go and bring her outside or only let her have access to one room of the house. Baby gates are good to restrict access to other rooms. Does she get put in a crate at night and, if so, do you take her out every 30 min to an hour at night (yes, that requires you waking up in the middle of the night to ensure the pup doesn't eliminate inside her crate). The crate must always be known as a "happy" place not a punishment place. Your pup is very young and will not have full bowel/bladder control until around 6 months of age (average). Some dogs take longer, some take less.

Good Luck. :)

Remember to take her out as soon as she has eaten, woken up from a nap and in the middle of playing. Somthing in there little systems trigger them to go right after those 3 things and remember to reward with lots of praise and treats.

Good luck :)

I would keep her on a lead in the garden until she knows that it's not playtime out there.
Praise is the best way and you have had alot of great advice already.
I also agree that you maybe should just train her to go outside b/c it can become confusing for her :)
Good luck!!

I think

I just want to say that I think Labbreeder is spot on! Outside time is potty first than play. I wouldn't train paper inside and then outside...just outside. I would crate when you cannot watch her (at night--at times during the day). It varies for most dogs however Wrigley at 11 weeks was able to hold his urine for around 4 hrs a night--so you may not have to get up every hour....

queenie521

I read somewhere that bleach has a similar scent to them as their urine and NOT to use it as they will target the same spot again. Go to your pet store and look for a cleaner made especially to get rid of urine scent and this may help!

L

LabBreeder

I was told you can use a 50/50 vinegar and water solution. Just make sure you get every single spot. :) Even the least little hint of smell will attract a puppy that has to go.

they also

We bought some stuff from petsmart that you can use on carpets, tile anything it is specificially for removing urine odors..it was like $3.99 and has lasted quite a while.

Puppy

Bernese Mountain Dog!
Thanks for the advice. Shes now doing really well, we only have to get up 2 times in the night to let her go toilet. And she seems to sit by the back door every time she needs to go out. :)

Members online

No members online now.