Argentine dogo

Susi

hi,

I dont have one, but we have a very well trained and socialble argentino in our dog school. It is just a shame that they are classed as dangerous dogs in Germany. I dont know why, well at least this one is a real petal. Just dont like the idea with the ears, why cannt they leave the dogs the way they are. In Europe it is against the law to hack off tails and ears. They are not allowed to enter International dog shows, a first step the right way.

susi with Ashiki and Charu my two rigdgebacks

ice cold

totally awesome
LOVE them :) they're my favorite breed...although honestly I've never met or owned one, lol. But that aside, yeah, still my faves.

Athe

They are beautiful dogs, but, in the wrong hands can be very dangerous. They have been bred to be aloof to strangers and need tons of socialization (proper socialization). They have the full series of predatory motor patterns and some motor patterns have of course been enhanced.
These are not dogs for novice owners at all.

Absolutely right, Athe! The same can be said for virtually all of the molosser breeds, except perhaps the happy little Pug and possibly the Great Dane and the Olde English Mastiff ;)

luvmydogs

Susi said:
hi,

I dont have one, but we have a very well trained and socialble argentino in our dog school. It is just a shame that they are classed as dangerous dogs in Germany.
hmmm. im originally from Germany. i didnt know they class them as dangerous dogs.
beautiful dog

S

stirder

they are beautiful dogs. athe I like to say it this way better..."LIKE ALL DOGS, THEY ARE DANGEROUS IN THE WRONG HANDS" Ive seen everything from chis and pomeranians to labs and goldens that would tear you apart just as soon as look at you. thats why breed banning is wrong, bad owner banning is the only way to solve a problem. if you ban the doberman because some people had them and were irresponsible. okay, now no-one including the people whos families have been breeding dobies for 50 years without an incident cant have them anymore. the owners who caused problems cant have a dobie, their going to find a comparable dog that isnt banned. okay, now they have a boxer or gsd. someone is still gonna get bitten. ban all the working and herding dogs, and any companion, retriever, toy or terrier with a little inherent territoriality...the irresponsible owners will still make trouble when their toy poodle or bichon or newfoundland hurts someone. sooner or later dogs in general will be banned and next will be cats because they have sharp claws, and it'll just keep going.
back to original thread...I love the dogo. like any large and/or guard dog breed they need tons of early socialization and training, and of course they are not for everyone. but they are a beautiful breed.

aurorab

I so agree strider, ban irresponsible owners not breeds! If only we live in a perfect world, but then if it were a perfect world we would even have to consider it.
Anyway, that is a very pretty looking dog, but I wish I could see him w/ natural ears. Sorry I just don't like them cut. After seeing a little cane corso w/ his ears thena wk later w/o them I think I like the natural ones better.

Athe

they are beautiful dogs. athe I like to say it this way better..."LIKE ALL DOGS, THEY ARE DANGEROUS IN THE WRONG HANDS" Ive seen everything from chis and pomeranians to labs and goldens that would tear you apart just as soon as look at you.
I have been working with dogs for over 20 years and I have yet to meet a Golden I thought may harm me. and unsocialized Golden will be fearful and react in fear more so than an out and out offensive behavior...Pomeranian's...they can be snarky but I have never feared they would tear me apart or a child, perhaps a baby, but who in their right mind leaves a dog alone with a baby or toddler...they are Spitz breeds as well with the full series of motor patterns...
I look at each breed as an individual and always keep in mind what they were originally bred for. This has kept me bite free for over 40 years. I don't try to throw a blanket of misconception over different breeds, this confuses people even more and causes more and more people to make naive stupid choices...this in turn leads people to make the wrong choice for their living conditions and the dog ends up being dangerous with fuels the breed ban fire.
To understand dog breeds is to understand motor patterns and exactly WHAT the breed was designed for and what enhanced motor patterns were selected. Any dog can bite, but, to have a dog that is going to go past a grab bite (puncture) to rip and dissect is not as common in breeds with these motor patterns purposely deselected. Other breeds have been bred specifically due to their standoffish attitude and being more wary of strangers...to compare a dog like that to a Retriever, sporting breed or sheep herding dog is a little naive. There are breeds such as Dobermans, Great Danes etc that due to their popularity many of the motor patterns and enhanced drives once bred for and desired have been deselected, so what we have today are watered down. There was a time when Breeds such as Dobermans had to be muzzled in the show ring as it was NOT unacceptable for them to bite a stranger even the judge...same goes with Rottweilers.

I don't believe in breed bans, but, I do believe in people making wise choices when selecting a breed. Think about your neighbors, children and where you live instead of how most people make a decision...by selecting a breed to enhance their look or reputation...
To actually glump all dog breeds into the same danger category is naive and dangerous and doesn't say much for a persons dog smarts. Why do you think there are so many breeds, and exactly how do you think these dogs were created. They certainly were not created to do the exact same job. ;) To create a breed you deselect motor patterns, or keep all motor patterns, or you can enhance some motor patterns by making a hard wired behavior...it's very easy to do and has been done to a great success. :)

caseyolee

Border Collies R' Us
I like them as well. I have never met one, but they look like really amazing animals. They also look a lot like the Pit/AmStaff. Are they of the same origin? I'm not real familiar with the breed, I've only seen pics and a short description in a dog book.

S

stirder

your right, every breed is different and I dont lump them all as dangerous, but any dog can be made dangerous in the wrong hands. at least half of the dog attack reports I have read about were not what I consider attacks at all. they were either a situation where the dog felt threatened and/or cornered and bit out of fear. or they were a situation such as a large dog jumping up to greet someone, knocking them over, and the person was injured. in some of the latter cases the action stimulated prey or defense drive in the dog, but not in all of them. and quite a few in this country I have read about were merely the dog ran up and the person was frightened and ran away and sued, or ran away and fell down injuring themselves.
in all of those cases (as I said, about half of the cases I have read about) were due to the owner not supervising and/or controlling the dog. if people would research dogs in general, then research breeds, then socialize and train the dog properly, and contain the dog properly there would surely still be the occasional accident but the number of dog bites every year would drastically decrease. my simple point was that any dog can be dangerous in the wrong hands. a golden can become a horrible fear biter and usually an owner who creates a fear biter is not responsible enough to contain the dog or supervise its interactions with others. even the gentlest dog can scare someone and cause a lawsuit. or jump up and scratch a person with its claws when its excited and unsupervised/uncontrolled. its not breeds wich are a problem. theres no disputing the fact that some breeds are more territorial/inclined to bite than others, that is a fact. but no matter what the breed, the owner needs to train and socialize it, supervise all interaction with other humans and animals, and control and contain the dog.
rather than banning certain breeds deemed to be a problem, remove the problem dog and punish the irresponsible owner. I dont mean 3 strikes and you get a $500 fine. I mean first offense you get a $1,000 +++ fine. second offense you get a $10,000 fine and some jail time and lose your dog, and your right to own any animal. for every owner of a dog (from any breed) that bites someone causing a ban there are a dozen other owners who are responsible and lose their dogs because of some idiots.

S

stirder

it was developed in the 1920's by antonio nores martinez (who wanted a good dog for hunting in packs, gaurding and trustworthy with families) using an extinct mastiff breed known as the dog of cordoba, and added great dane, boxer, spanish mastiff, bulldog, bull terrier, great pyrenese, pointer, irish wolfhound and dogue de bordeaux. they have been used in south and central america for hunting boar, puma and jaguar, and around the world as guardians and companions.

S

stirder

dogo argentino, dogo, argentine mastiff, the breed has several names just like german shepherd is also alsatian shepherd, duetche schafferhund. they all have a few names

Members online

No members online now.